New model KS18L2 with more battery?

Augus

1 hour ago, hal2000 said:

Oh no! Please don't be. Share more African wisdom with us because it contributes so much to the discussion about KS18L2 and it is so not off-topic

Oh, OK. But only one more young man and then it's your bed time. Since you thought the last tidbit of African wisdom was so off topic

"When the fool is told a proverb, its meaning has to be explained to him."

Now. I'm done. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Oh, OK. But only one more young man and then it's your bed time. Since you thought the last tidbit of African wisdom was so off topic

"When the fool is told a proverb, its meaning has to be explained to him."

Now. I'm done. 

And now I feel truly and fully enlightened! Thank you, Wise Man.

5 hours ago, Shad0z said:

That factor i also thought about. i dont see why they would eccagurate it by 25% then people go on 70km trips only to be left with 0% before reaching their destination. But i guess the average cunsumer cares more about specs on paper and dont go that far

Exactly. What is really curious is the fact that ~40-50 km is not a bad real life range at all. Want more? Buy a bigger battery wheel. Misleading customers by up to 100% is a dead-end strategy. Funny thing is that the official KS specs for EU advertise 105 km range for 18L and (guess what!) 100 km range for KS18XL : ) So that's a step forward in terms of being more realistic in unrealistic claims : )

Listen people. It is frustrating when the wheels that we love so much have chronic quality and safety issues, and inaccurate instrumental readings.

However, the manufacturing process is a lot like people in the sense that it involves continuous improvement and growth, and like people they need room, patience, feedback, and support to do this.

The goal of the manufacturers is to perpetually sell the wheels that they manufacture. For the following reasons there is no possible way to develop a thriving and sustainable  industry ecosystem with fraudulent methods:

1. Fraud is a crime

2. Fraud is a crime of intent. There is no such thing as accidental fraud. If fraud is committed in any circumstance it is intended. 

3. Since fraud is a crime of intent, an accuser must demonstrate fraudulent intent.

4. To establish intent, one must demonstrate motive and gather evidence through investigation/research. Suspicion should lead to investigation not accusations.

5. It is fallacious reasoning to claim intent without first establishing motive.

6. It is irresponsible to openly accuse any business of criminal behavior without evidence.

Inaccurate reporting of range and speed, quality control, and safety issues are certainly errors that need to be addressed, but they do not necessarily suggest fraud. All good manufacturers pay attention to the needs and demands of their buyer's and seek to address them through a process of continuous improvement. 

If you suspect fraud please don't take the the suspicion lightly. Do enough some digging to establish patterns and motives, and report them to the police and other stakeholders. A business owner is committing the crime of fraud should be imprisoned, or in the very least not allowed to conduct business. 

A company that makes considerable efforts to listen to its customer base and continually make product improvements is by my estimation a company that is demonstrating integrity. 

Again, fraud is a type of lie. The type of lying that fraud represents is a crime. A lie is always intentional and never accidental. Unsupported accusations of criminal behavior helps no one. 

IMHO, although I see several manufacturer errors and places for improvement, I see these as opportunities for refinement and growth. I think the growth process in any new industry is going to experience some learning through trial and error (hopefully not to the degree that people are maimed or killed).

Currently, I fail to see any possible motive for fraud in an new industry where the products are constantly subjected to third party and consumer testing. 

My two cents. 

Its a shame there are no standard tests that all manufacturers can adhere to so that we can compare like with like. Battery size seems to be the best indication of relative range for now.

22 hours ago, Nic said:

Battery size seems to be the best indication of relative range for now.

True. And because people come in all shapes and sizes, different riding styles with riding done in varied environments and climatic conditions, battery capacity is probably going to be the most stable general indicator for some time to come. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 1:07 AM, Lutalo said:

True. And because people come in all shapes and sizes, different riding styles with riding done in varied environments and climatic conditions, battery capacity is probably going to be the most stable general indicator for some time to come. 

People come in all shapes and sizes... but still - reducing the rider weight of 70kg, taking it easy - a ride in a park on a sunny warm autumn day, at a chill-out speed and in a non-aggressive riding style provides 60 km* of range (I was riding alongside  same model and battery (18L), same conditions, same riding style, same route, different weight - 100 kg, I was tilted back at 48 km*).

*) the values reflect real distance as measured by GPS;

KingSong premium app still reports +20% (how annoying is that?) 

Obviously, the last mile or two is just a joke - pedestrian speed and irritating beeping

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Joker10 said:

I like that there is the option of upgrading to the 1554wh battery if I find that I need it.  I think I will be fine with 1036 but time will tell.

No, there is no such option. Or at least King Song doesn't offer this option. You have to choose between KS-18L with 1036 Wh battery and KS-18XL with 1554 Wh battery. At least until now there is no option to just upgrade the battery.

Archived