Motorcycle wheel sized electric unicycle

daveola

I am interested in building or buying an electric unicycle with an actual motorcycle sized wheel similar to the Ryno.

I know that in many ways this may not be practical - it sounds like it's less stable at low speeds, and it needs a much stronger hub motor to deal with all the extra torque.

I am expecting to only drive at speeds of 5-10 mph, and I want to be able to drive on sandy-like surfaces, hence the desire for at least a wider wheel.  I am not planning on using it on lots of slopes - mostly on flat surfaces, so that should help with the motor size requirements.

So I was curious about all the issues with such a design?  A wide motorcycle wheel with a seat on it (and possibly handlebars if they are needed for safety) is my dream.  I've started investigating building one myself, but I know a few people have done it - so what are they like to ride?

How hard are they to ride at 5-10mph?
Does riding at those speeds at least limit the gyroscopic issues that cause turning/braking issues?

Any thoughts of buying vs building?

3 hours ago, daveola said:

Any thoughts of buying vs building?

I guess that hinges mostly on your technical expertise, your talent and the amount of time you are willing to spend, all of which we can't quite know.

11 hours ago, daveola said:

I am I nterested in building or buying an electric unicycle with an actual motorcycle sized wheel similar to the Ryno.

8 hours ago, Mono said:

I guess that hinges mostly on your technical expertise,

It has been done see thread below which should link you to both some ideas and how it is to ride but @Mono hits the nail on the head, you are going to need a very good understanding and practical ability in both mechanical and electrical engineering to build something yourself - or buy the Z10 or Onewheel perhaps?

16 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Isn't the Ninebot Z10 a 16 incher?

The Z10 has a 18 inch tire like many other wheels as well (e.g. also the so-called 19" Gotway MSX).

Enduro motorbike front tires have typically 21 inch, rear tires have 18 inch (rim size, but much thicker tires).

1 hour ago, Mono said:

The Z10 has a 18 inch tire like many other wheels as well (e.g. also the so-called 19" Gotway MSX).

Enduro motorbike front tires have typically 21 inch, rear tires have 18 inch (rim size, but much thicker tires).

Yeah, I just saw the SpeedyFeet review of the Z10; that is a big wheel, it looks like a damned sci-fi scooter and not something we can buy today. Hands down, it's the only wheel people should buy today due simply to its looks.

Interestingly, during the review Ian mentions the wheel constantly trying to stand up; that's probably a result of the tire being too narrow, the rim being too wide, or the tire profile too flat for his preference.

Note to self: if I ever buy a Z10 I'd go up a cm or two on tire width, because as tires wear down in the center that stand up tendency gets much stronger.

14 hours ago, Mono said:

EUCs use bicycle tires and bicycle standards, so 18” EUCs have a 14” rim. A 14” motorcycle tire would actually fit.

13 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Interestingly, during the review Ian mentions the wheel constantly trying to stand up; that's probably a result of the tire being too narrow, the rim being too wide, or the tire profile too flat for his preference.

I suppose you meant ”tire being too wide”, in which you are correct. A wide tire / flat profile does just that.

Archived