My new Mten3!

Esper

On 11/18/2018 at 8:26 AM, Marty Backe said:

Good catch. I hadn't thought of that.

Instead of trying to order (and wait) for new bars, I think a bit of wooden dowel rod would be just as effective, keeping the metal rod from sliding in the pedal.

Install the metal rod equidistant in the pedal and then add a piece of dowel in each side. 

Yup, that's what I did, I stuck filler material on each side.  No more sliding.  I found the spacer but too lazy to put it back yet. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hey @Marty Backe I seem to have an issue with my Mten3. I removed the tire to place a new one on and it started leaking pretty badly, so I got a new valve. Thing is, the one I removed is completely different from the one that you have on your video. The markings I see on the inside are E024 and L825 that second number could be a L625, but it's hard to tell.

Now, Since I got a set of these TR412s, I can't fit them into the hole, its too small. Would it be a better option to buy the correct valve size, or drill the hole bigger?

Next question, The valve placement tool is too fat to fit in the gap on the rim, did you have that issue with yours?

1 minute ago, Esper said:

Hey @Marty Backe I seem to have an issue with my Mten3. I removed the tire to place a new one on and it started leaking pretty badly, so I got a new valve. Thing is, the one I removed is completely different from the one that you have on your video. The markings I see on the inside are E024 and L825 that second number could be a L625, but it's hard to tell.

Now, Since I got a set of these TR412s, I can't fit them into the hole, its too small. Would it be a better option to buy the correct valve size, or drill the hole bigger?

Next question, The valve placement tool is too fat to fit in the gap on the rim, did you have that issue with yours?

Did you see the video that I posted that showed everything I did, including how I dealt with the valve puller being too big?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Esper said:

So then I need to get a drill bit, a file, and a valve extender. :( I kinda just wanted to get a smaller valve but I can't find one.

I hear you. I think you can get the smaller valves, but the links that I saw all came from China (long wait).

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Did you see the video that I posted that showed everything I did, including how I dealt with the valve puller being too big?

Post it again Marty. Great info.:thumbup:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2018 at 6:48 PM, Esper said:

It just arrived!

I've heard multiple times that it's Marty's favorite wheel. Before I take it anywhere I'd like to talk about this awesome mod that made me want it more than an ACMv2.

Ripped the pictures for easy display.
604668BC-5D8A-4FAA-ABCF-943599BCFE5A.thumb.jpeg.3078c67600b5db13534937b6df6ccc04.jpeg861B2F1E-E00B-4579-9AF7-65F5D5339C9D.thumb.jpeg.aa7adf1812d9e4f962c35b36c65ce11e.jpeg

If anyone is experienced in painting their shells. What kind of paint should I get to achieve this awesome appearance? 

Also @Marty Backe Do you have a trolly on yours? I don't know if I'd need one, but I was curious.

I'd like to understand one thing.
Doest the Black Mten3 exist or it is just a mod you can do yourself?

And, eventually, how hard is to open the shells and paint them?
Thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snowball said:

Thanks.

They are all white.

For the shell, it's not difficult to open. Just be careful with all the wires, mine weren't that secure to the led strip. so they fell off. Unlike larger wheels which have inner and outter shells, this one is only one shell. The battery and control board are connected together, and there is just a few wires.

Painting it, you'd want something that doesn't damage the integrity of plastic. There are paints that can make plastic brittle. So get one that's for plastic. Since the plastic itself is pretty smooth the paint might wear off from rubbing, so use a sealant coat over top of it.

I have a vinyl cover over mine now. So it no longer looks black. I think I'm going to change the look each summer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Snowball said:

Thanks.

I've painted different wheels, including the Mten3. Two coats of RUST-OLEUM 2X Ultra spray paint is what works for me.

14 hours ago, Esper said:

They are all white.

For the shell, it's not difficult to open. Just be careful with all the wires, mine weren't that secure to the led strip. so they fell off. Unlike larger wheels which have inner and outter shells, this one is only one shell. The battery and control board are connected together, and there is just a few wires.

Painting it, you'd want something that doesn't damage the integrity of plastic. There are paints that can make plastic brittle. So get one that's for plastic. Since the plastic itself is pretty smooth the paint might wear off from rubbing, so use a sealant coat over top of it.

I have a vinyl cover over mine now. So it no longer looks black. I think I'm going to change the look each summer.

Thanks for your feedback.
Do you have some links to the product you used?
I guess there is not a teardown video for Mten3, correct?
Pictures of your Mten? I'm curious.

41 minutes ago, Snowball said:

How about my tear-down video? I have other maintenance related videos in my Mten3 Playlist.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snowball said:

457K4hq.jpg

R7J6y06.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@DaveThomasPilot  I'm 165#  I routinely push a double-stroller that is over 100# of kids/gear.   The Mten3 can easily push us up the steep garage ramp.  Pushing is not the same as carrying, but I'm sure I've carried at least 40 lbs of gear without issue.  I can't say enough good things about the MTen3.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

I'm considering getting an MTen3.

The small size is attractive to take up minimum space in the cockpit.  But, I'm currently a heavy guy.  Has anyone rode it at or over the 240 pound limit?

Thanks

Personally, I weigh ~200 lbs and am very very carful not to jump curbs or put any extra force onto the axel. If you do ride it, it should be fine, but don't expect to be reaching top speed or to have the best range. I get about 18 mph top speed at my weight. You might get somewhere around 15-17.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have any desire to go fast or jump curbs.  What about jumping on the wheel to get started?  Should I worry about that?

My speed limit is set by my wife who rides with me on a minipro and I never get close to exhausting battery capacity on my 16s or on the 14C when I had it.

But, the ability to climb hills is a must.  I jump on my 16s to down then back up a pretty steep hill to my workshop several times a day.  I'd want to do that with the MTen3 too. 

Maybe I could get Marty B. to put a 75 pound weight in a backpack and climb up that big hill he likes.  If it survives, I'll need to place an order with Jason!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have any desire to go fast or jump curbs.  What about jumping on the wheel to get started?  Should I worry about that?

My speed limit is set by my wife who rides with me on a minipro and I never get close to exhausting battery capacity on my 16s or on the 14C when I had it.

But, the ability to climb hills is a must.  I jump on my 16s to down then back up a pretty steep hill to my workshop several times a day.  I'd want to do that with the MTen3 too. 

Maybe I could get Marty B. to put a 75 pound weight in a backpack and climb up that big hill he likes.  If it survives, I'll need to place an order with Jason!

The way that I would think of the Mten3 is that it's a 16S re-packed in a 10-inch wheel. Seriously. I know a guy who will remain nameless that says he's ~200-pounds but I think he's probably closer to 220-pounds, and he rides his Mten3 with no problems.

The axle on the Mten3 is certainly as tough as the 16S axle.

My gut (and your gut ;)) tells me that the Mten3 will be fine for your uses.

• Like 1