My new Mten3!

Esper

I got my Mten3 today, but during the teardown the ground wire for the LED strip fell off. Is there an easy way to reattach it if I dont have a soldering iron? or do I need to buy one?

I ordered a soldering kit online, Snail Mail says it will be here friday. Thankfully, the LED strip is accessible from outside the wheel.
Having it painted now~ 
I'll take pictures when its finished.

Edited by Esper

Just now, Marty Backe said:

You tore apart your Mten3 :confused1:

The wiring on that LED ring light is extremely fragile. Mine broke too. Had to resolder the connections.

Yeah. I was removing the shell to be painted. I didn't realize the whole unit was 5 parts...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Esper said:

Hey @Marty Backe, How much do you weigh and what is the pressure you keep your Mten3 at?

Riding weight is ~175-pounds. The max pressure listed on the tire. I think ~35-psi

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Esper said:

Hey @Marty Backe, I'm at home trying to reconnect the led strip. I removed it entirely and was hoping you could give me a hand with telling me what wires go where. Maybe anyone else with electrical experience would be able to help too? 

Sorry, it's been a long time since I opened the Mten3. I know that I'm saying this in hindsight, but best to always document the as-is condition before disconnecting wires. A camera is a fast and easy way to do this. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

Well by convention, Black would be gnd, and Red +5.  So it seems pretty straight forward.

I'll try this out tomorrow. I was looking online and saw that white was Ground, but i'm not sure here.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Sorry, it's been a long time since I opened the Mten3. I know that I'm saying this in hindsight, but best to always document the as-is condition before disconnecting wires. A camera is a fast and easy way to do this. Good luck.

I should have, and I regret not doing so. But I can't change that it happened already. I was hoping you'd be able to confirm it at sometime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Esper said:

I'll try this out tomorrow. I was looking online and saw that white was Ground, but i'm not sure here.

I should have, and I regret not doing so. But I can't change that it happened already. I was hoping you'd be able to confirm it at sometime.

White is ground in house wiring. Black is ground in electronics.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the inspiration.. My Mten3 is on it's way.. I have a Kingsong KS16S.. but wanted a wheel more suitable to bring along when traveling the country in a small car..  Anyway I'm going to wrap it with Brushed aluminum silver vinyl and use plastidip aerosol primer and matt black on the foam pads.. So excited!

• Like 1

So I am hoping to get a little more insight @Esper and @Rehab1 as to how you handled.... well.. the handle when wrapping your Mten3s.   I see Esper, you were able to wrap around the handle without further mod.  Can you provide insight as to how you did that.  perhaps you remember a video that showed the process on youtube?  Rehab1, you on the other hand have what appears to black plastic around the handle.  Can you explain that?  

I am wondering how to do this and if I will need anything extra as I don't want the wrapping of my wheel to take a long time while waiting for items from eabay or such.

Also, I am new to posting and don't know how to make a persons name highlight and show their profile when dragged over?

Edited by Hapsflaps7laps
trying to fix names

1 hour ago, Hapsflaps7laps said:

So I am hoping to get a little more insight @Esper and @Rehab1 as to how you handled.... well.. the handle when wrapping your Mten3s.   I see Esper, you were able to wrap around the handle without further mod.  Can you provide insight as to how you did that.  perhaps you remember a video that showed the process on youtube?  Rehab1, you on the other hand have what appears to black plastic around the handle.  Can you explain that?  

I am wondering how to do this and if I will need anything extra as I don't want the wrapping of my wheel to take a long time while waiting for items from eabay or such.

Also, I am new to posting and don't know how to make a persons name highlight and show their profile when dragged over?

I used paint. No vinyl at all. Though, wrapping vinyl on the mten3 will be easy enough. You dont have to worry about the handle that much as the outside panels cover that part. As for the inside part, just stretch the vinyl around it into a nice snug fit, let it sit to cool off, then cut it off with an exacto knife where it doesnt fit right.
The entire shell is 2 pieces with two cover panels, The process should be easier once you get the wheel and take it apart.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Hapsflaps7laps said:

I think you type the @ symbol and the first few letters of the name, then a drop down list of names will appear.  Click on the name you want and it will insert in your post colored blue.  That's on a laptop, never tried it on a phone.

3 hours ago, Munsense said:

Looks good. Does the trolley handle throw out the balance of the wheel at all?

It doesn't on mine. The trolley handle is a major convenience.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 12:57 PM, GQS said:

The only other thing I did was to switch out the tiny mten3 pedals with mSuper3 pedals.  Works great, much more comfy. 

20181113_124702.jpg

Be carefull with the msuper pedals on the mten3 the pedal bars are different sizes and with mine the bar slipped and the spacer fell out.  It looks like your spacer is gone as well.  This makes for an unsafe situation.  

You need to get the longer Msuper rods.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Be carefull with the msuper pedals on the mten3 the pedal bars are different sizes and with mine the bar slipped and the spacer fell out.  It looks like your spacer is gone as well.  This makes for an unsafe situation.  

You need to get the longer Msuper rods.

Good catch. I hadn't thought of that.

Instead of trying to order (and wait) for new bars, I think a bit of wooden dowel rod would be just as effective, keeping the metal rod from sliding in the pedal.

Install the metal rod equidistant in the pedal and then add a piece of dowel in each side. 

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good catch. I hadn't thought of that.

Instead of trying to order (and wait) for new bars, I think a bit of wooden dowel rod would be just as effective, keeping the metal rod from sliding in the pedal.

Install the metal rod equidistant in the pedal and then add a piece of dowel in each side. 

That’s a good idea!  Thanks 

• Like 1