My new Mten3!

Esper

Congrats on the MTen3! It's a marvel of modern science IMHO, great wheel so long as your terrain isn't moon craters like here in NYC.

MTen3 trolley is a must I think. It's not just the weight, it's the compactness of the weight, and how you need to lift it a farther distance off the ground, more than taller wheels.

eBay seller weunicycle: MTen3 Trolley

AliExpress Green Fashion & Travel Store: MTen3 Trolley

• Like 3

Thanks guys!! I am actually considering getting a backpack though. The trolly handle I think I can live without. Does anyone have backpack suggestions? I've seen some pictures on google and other sites, but I would want one that can hold some other things too as well as the new wheel.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Congrats on the MTen3! It's a marvel of modern science IMHO, great wheel so long as your terrain isn't moon craters like here in NYC.

MTen3 trolley is a must I think. It's not just the weight, it's the compactness of the weight, and how you need to lift it a farther distance off the ground, more than taller wheels.

eBay seller weunicycle: MTen3 Trolley

AliExpress Green Fashion & Travel Store: MTen3 Trolley

It's moon craters here too. But this is purely for transportation 9 blocks to the bus stop and then another 10 from where I get off to home. As long as it's faster than a light jog, it will be useful.

@Rehab1 has painted and modded his Mten3. Dan, if you remember where you posted your pictures (I don't think you did a video?) maybe you can add a link here for @Esper

Regarding the trolley handle, I think it's extremely useful with the Mten3. I use mine all the time when I take it for a sandwich run or to the grocery store. Here's a video that shows how I non-destructively added one of the cheapo trolley handles to my Mten3.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Esper said:

If anyone is experienced in painting their shells. What kind of paint should I get to achieve this awesome appearance?

I think most EUCs have a polycarbonate shell (Lexan), in which case you shouldn't attempt to paint it. Polycarbonate and ABS plastics become brittle and develop micro-fractures when exposed to solvents, hence why the manufacturer recommends only to use a damp cloth when cleaning the case.

28 minutes ago, Esper said:

Thanks guys!! I am actually considering getting a backpack though. The trolly handle I think I can live without. Does anyone have backpack suggestions? I've seen some pictures on google and other sites, but I would want one that can hold some other things too as well as the new wheel.

@maltocs carries his Mten3 in a backpack. He comments a little about his bag here. He may have posted more info elsewhere in the forum too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nic said:

I think most EUCs have a polycarbonate shell (Lexan), in which case you shouldn't attempt to paint it. Polycarbonate and ABS plastics become brittle and develop micro-fractures when exposed to solvents, hence why the manufacturer recommends only to use a damp cloth when cleaning the case.

Lots of people have painted their shells and I don't know of any shell failures because of it. I completely painted one of my ACM's with no signs of problems many months later. I used a high quality spray paint which would be dry within 1/2 hour. Hard to believe that would damage the shell.

3 minutes ago, Nic said:

That sounds unfortunate. I've seen a lot of people apply wraps to theirs but the pain looks amazing on the pictures in the first post. That is what I am trying to obtain. I'll probably go to a paint store and ask for advice there too.

7 minutes ago, Esper said:

That sounds unfortunate. I've seen a lot of people apply wraps to theirs but the pain looks amazing on the pictures in the first post. That is what I am trying to obtain. I'll probably go to a paint store and ask for advice there too.

RC Cars and such usually use Lexan shells, and they have a shit ton of paints available.  I would check out a hobby shop first.

Cheers,
Alex

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Lots of people have painted their shells and I don't know of any shell failures because of it. I completely painted one of my ACM's with no signs of problems many months later. I used a high quality spray paint which would be dry within 1/2 hour. Hard to believe that would damage the shell.

https://www.motorcyclemanic.com/can-paint-motorcycle-helmet/

If you can find a water-based paint, then that would be ok. Most of the damage from using solvents on lexan will be invisible to the naked eye, but the impact resistance will be affected and any stress points will start to show cracks over time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nic said:

https://www.motorcyclemanic.com/can-paint-motorcycle-helmet/

If you can find a water-based paint, then that would be ok. Most of the damage from using solvents on lexan will be invisible to the naked eye, but the impact resistance will be affected and any stress points will start to show cracks over time.

Good to know, for helmets at least. I've chosen not to worry about it regarding my wheels.

26 minutes ago, Meelosh123 said:

Oh man congrats :) Literally just a few minutes ago I started getting the urge to buy one of these.  The currently-ambiguous-legality of EUCs in my area has temporarily curbed my desire for a heavy 18" long-distance wheel...but the thought of throwing this in my work bag and tooling around downtown on my lunch-breaks makes me giddy.  

I've been all over the place with what I want from a mode of electric transportation. I hope this Mten3 is a perfect fit between speed, range, fun, and portability. The bigger the range and speed, the less the portability. I also really like that it looks like a miniature Tesla too! (if painted black)

Hey @Esper , you will love the Mten3, it’s an amazing little wonder, but.... did you consider the mcm5? , it’s not much bigger, and I consider it truly the “wheel of the year” the agility, pickup, weight to power ratio can’t be matched.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mrd777 said:

Hey @Esper , you will love the Mten3, it’s an amazing little wonder, but.... did you consider the mcm5? , it’s not much bigger, and I consider it truly the “wheel of the year” the agility, pickup, weight to power ratio can’t be matched.

Nah. I like the look of this one. And it is Marty's favorite wheel. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Esper said:

Nah. I like the look of this one. And it is Marty's favorite wheel. 

:D

I do want to clarify, and you probably know this, that I've always said it's my favorite fun wheel, which doesn't mean favorite commuter or trail riding wheel or high-speed wheel.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Esper said:

If anyone is experienced in painting their shells. What kind of paint should I get to achieve this awesome appearance? 

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@Rehab1has painted and modded his Mten3. Dan, if you remember where you posted your pictures (I don't think you did a video?) maybe you can add a link here for @Esper

Congratulations @Esper on your purchase! Here are a few photos of my mods. Sometimes I go overboard.

26820256838_7d12a1369e_b.jpg

39985450624_14d5970fed_b.jpg

I used a carbon vinyl wrap on my Mten3. I purchased the material on Amazon. The stuff is pretty fairly inexpensive for the size sheet you get. https://tinyurl.com/yckpukez

There are tons of vinyl wrap installation videos on the Youtube. I experimented at first by heating and stretching the vinyl over a small bowl to gain some sense of the molding and shaping characteristics. 

• Like 2