What speed is safe to ride?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/20/2018 at 1:59 PM, Lukas83 said:

The Answer is easy : The Safest speed to go without protection is 0 mph!

If I recall correctly, Gary Busey wound up in critical condition at zero mph.  He simply fell over and hit his head.  Now his eyes don't even align in the same place on his skull.  

There is really no speed it's safe to not have both feet on the ground.  People slip and die in the bathtub or just walking around the house every year.

5 hours ago, Esper said:

Do you mean your wife?

4 hours ago, kasenutty said:

That'd have to be his son in law's mother in law, right? 

44171917265_4d4c7cf77f_b.jpg

We're just trying to get to the bottom of this. If it is your son's mother in law, it means your wife - thus law, mother - thus relationship. The woman is not the birth mother to the child but is the mother by law and you said 'son' so she must be your wife?

The other option is that you're his mother and that the kid is with his father and his wife (which is the mother-in-law)?

If you are the child's father, and his birth mother is still with you, mother-in-law would be... foster care??

If you are the child's father and his birth mother left and was married to another woman, that woman can be his mother-in-law....
Or if you are the father and the birth mother left, and you remarried and the child is still with you, that woman would be the mother-in-law.

You're right, it is confusing. So why not just say, 'wife' as it is easier?

7 minutes ago, Esper said:

If it is your son's mother in law, it means your wife - thus law, mother - thus relationship. The woman is not the birth mother to the child but is the mother by law and you said 'son' so she must be your wife?

No. It means his son has a partner, who has a mother, which is the aforementioned mother-in-law. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parent-in-law

Is there a joke I'm not getting here?:efee47c9c8:

5 hours ago, kasenutty said:

That'd have to be his son in law's mother in law, right? 

Only if @Rehab1's son is married to a man, otherwise his wife would be his daughter-in-law's mother-in-law:efef50e3ba:

--

Not accounting for crazy incestuous or whatnot situations. Be aware pondering all the possibilities reduces you attention while riding EUCs and thus lowers the speed that is safe to ride.

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

No. It means his son has a partner, who has a mother, which is the aforementioned mother-in-law. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parent-in-law

Is there a joke I'm not getting here?:efee47c9c8:

Only if @Rehab1's son is married to a man, otherwise his wife would be his daughter-in-law's mother-in-law:efef50e3ba:

--

Not accounting for crazy incestuous or whatnot situations. Be aware pondering all the possibilities reduces you attention while riding EUCs and thus lowers the speed that is safe to ride.

19 minutes ago, Esper said:

We're just trying to get to the bottom of this. If it is your son's mother in law, it means your wife - thus law, mother - thus relationship. The woman is not the birth mother to the child but is the mother by law and you said 'son' so she must be your wife?

The other option is that you're his mother and that the kid is with his father and his wife (which is the mother-in-law)?

If you are the child's father, and his birth mother is still with you, mother-in-law would be... foster care??

If you are the child's father and his birth mother left and was married to another woman, that woman can be his mother-in-law....
Or if you are the father and the birth mother left, and you remarried and the child is still with you, that woman would be the mother-in-law.

You're right, it is confusing. So why not just say, 'wife' as it is easier?

OMG this is cracking me up!:laughbounce2:

Ok...follow the ball...  :roflmao:So my son is married——> to his wife ——>who has a mother—->which my definition would make her my son’s mother-in-law. 

I had not expected your son to be married. That changes everything. But why refer to these from your son's perspective? Why not your own? It would be your sister in law once removed.

Edit: Oh I see there is a term called co-parent-in-law. that is a mouthful. I prefer my term as it is easier. Once removed means a generation outside your own, and in-law, so as above, Sister-In-Law Once Removed. It's normally used for someone like your great grandfather's brother's grandson. normally your uncle but one generation further so first cousin once removed...

chart-1-a.png

2 hours ago, Esper said:

I had not expected your son to be married. That changes everything. But why refer to these from your son's perspective? Why not your own? It would be your sister in law once removed.

I’ve have occasionally spoken on the forum about my son Matt who passed away so I should probably clarify that I have another son Scott that I’m referring to. He serves in the Air Force along with his wife. 

3 hours ago, Esper said:

You thought that his son had a mother-in-law but wasn't married?

2 hours ago, GamingBarbecue256 said:

You thought that his son had a mother-in-law but wasn't married?

No, I was thinking he was referring to his wife whom he married that isnt the birth mother in an odd way.
I see I was so off I'm even confusing the other half.

11 hours ago, Esper said:

No, I was thinking he was referring to his wife whom he married that isnt the birth mother in an odd way.
I see I was so off I'm even confusing the other half.

I think you’re thinking of step-mother instead of mother-in-law

• 1 month later...

Recent video posted on a NB forum. It depicts some idea of what excessive speed can cause. I pray he is ok.

Completely out of control at this point. 

44992883575_38c3196d1c_b.jpg

11 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

How can a grown man be so stupid, that speed and no protection.:facepalm:

Boggles the mind, I understand the speeding, without protection not so much.

Ohh well, once like that and you either stop riding or start wearing protection I suppose?

When most experienced people see someone doing something dangerous without proper safety gear and precautions, don' t they think to themselves, "bad idea!"? Why people think it is cooler to not wear gear is hard to understand. Professionals and experts in any field learn the best methods and then become very proficient in their application. Having the very best safety gear for any situation is a mark of intelligence. In actual use, it takes less time to put on and take off gear as you get better at using it. Any injury will take up more time and money than what is spent on gear. My motto is All The Gear, All The Time; ATGATT. It should be a personal badge of honor to not take short-cuts with safety and also to ride carefully, attentively, and without being incorrectly over-confident. Each of us has the opportunity to be a good example to others and to promote a positive opinion of our sport for the general public.

Archived