2007 E350 Ford van vs. MSuper cost per mile

RockyTop

My ratio of spending before and after marriage and kids are:

1: 3: 8. Yes, 2 kids are expensive. I do not know how those families with 5 kids survive.

The biggest increase is in housing: 1:20, without inflation adjustment.

If you have 2 or 3 commuter cars in your family, replacing one of them with an EUC obviously saves money, without much visible inconvenience but a lot of more fun and more healthy. The danger is that if I buy a lot of EUCs like Marty, then the savings diminishes.   

1 hour ago, EUCMania said:

The danger is that if I buy a lot of EUCs like Marty, then the savings diminishes.   

I think that we are all failing Marty.  We have become his enablers.  Should we do something?............  Never mind!!!   ( don't look in my garage):ph34r: 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of an experiment right now to make my wheel purchase free. I have a friend who was hit and had her car totalled. I work 4 miles from home so I asked if she would want to take my car for a few months. Payment, insurance, gas and license fees come out to 600 a month. A little over 2 months and my 16s was basically free in simple math. Injury (if/when it happens,  lost time due to taking longer to get errands done and the need for an uber to get larger items from the store or full grocery trips probably put my break even closer to three months.

I have a motorcycle if I need to go further away and by the time winter comes (not that we really have winter in southern California) I'll have my car back. I dont see a way to get to work in a suit on an euc in the rain that works for me. 

I have learned that I don't need a car as nice as the one I have right now when it's time to get another lease in early 2020 though. The EUC and the bike are all I need for "fun" transportation. I'll be getting something cheap and purposeful next time around. That is going to be a big savings over the foreseeable car future for me too. 

If I can make a case that makes sense showing how these wheels are either free or saving us substantial $ then maybe someday I can hide behind a forest of wheels like Marty ?!

2 hours ago, Flying W said:

I'm in the middle of an experiment right now to make my wheel purchase free. I have a friend who was hit and had her car totalled. I work 4 miles from home so I asked if she would want to take my car for a few months. Payment, insurance, gas and license fees come out to 600 a month. A little over 2 months and my 16s was basically free in simple math. Injury (if/when it happens,  lost time due to taking longer to get errands done and the need for an uber to get larger items from the store or full grocery trips probably put my break even closer to three months.

I have a motorcycle if I need to go further away and by the time winter comes (not that we really have winter in southern California) I'll have my car back. I dont see a way to get to work in a suit on an euc in the rain that works for me. 

I have learned that I don't need a car as nice as the one I have right now when it's time to get another lease in early 2020 though. The EUC and the bike are all I need for "fun" transportation. I'll be getting something cheap and purposeful next time around. That is going to be a big savings over the foreseeable car future for me too. 

If I can make a case that makes sense showing how these wheels are either free or saving us substantial $ then maybe someday I can hide behind a forest of wheels like Marty ?!

I would go with the one time fee angle. Unlike a car once you have purchased a wheel it is almost free to operate. Also if something does go terribly wrong with the wheel you know it can be fixed or replaced for  < $1300.  Car repairs can cost thousands and may not even fix the problem. 

Business suits in the rain? ......... Change jobs. Become a swim suite model ? :)

Archived