Jump to content
Steve

Inmotion V10 fire.

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

These batteries do need to be able to vent in the event of a cell failure.  Seems like venting at the top should be maintained or a release mechanism based on adhesive of the right type, but how can the release pressure be tested?  

Will a cell failure just vent or will it catch fire and explode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

Will a cell failure just vent or will it catch fire and explode?

First they vent, if that does not release enough gas, and with it heat they will eventually explode, but you'll hear the venting if you are near and will have enough time to get the hell out of there.  All the cells have various protection mechanisms that can help prevent explosions, or at least give a warning.  The first is venting, then they have an internal disconnection mechanism.  The more you have in the pack though, the harder it is to get the temperature down to a safe level.

Edited by FreeRide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Raleigh, the Engineer who is managing the V10F refurbishment project at IM US has been doing stellar work.

I assume this means that the steps you recommend in this post have been performed on all the wheels recently refurbished at IM US? And that packs were inspected for damage prior to the procedure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

 125xxx production: there is no sealant of any kind between the two shell halves! Furthermore, the battery pack is resting directly atop of the shell, with no strips of thin foam cushions applied underneath, as they are on the sides of the pack.

This is news to me, so far Inmotion SCV seems to have adamantly claimed only the first batch suffered from this. Or did you mean that it only has a seal underneath at the joint of the halves and no sealant applied at the actual crack when joining? I'll guess I'll see soon as I intend to open up my 125xxx wheel sometime in the near future to seal things up.

Great post by the way, it's very useful to see a more detailed run-down of the issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FreeRide said:

These batteries do need to be able to vent in the event of a cell failure.  Seems like venting at the top should be maintained or a release mechanism based on adhesive of the right type, but how can the release pressure be tested?  

Good point there. I've been thinking I'll use a self vulcanizing silicon tape to seal the battery itself. That should create a good seal, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has any good input on the venting. As you say, an adhesive of the right type could do it, but what would that be exactly? Or some membrane of some kind (PTFE?).

I wonder how this is handled (if at all) in other wheels, or if manufacturers just rely on the very low defect rate and just seal things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nils said:

Good point there. I've been thinking I'll use a self vulcanizing silicon tape to seal the battery itself. That should create a good seal, but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has any good input on the venting. As you say, an adhesive of the right type could do it, but what would that be exactly? Or some membrane of some kind (PTFE?).

I wonder how this is handled (if at all) in other wheels, or if manufacturers just rely on the very low defect rate and just seal things up.

When we do rf connectors, we wrap it first with electrical tape and then vulcanized rubber over the tape and beyond the tape to mAke the seal to the cable jacket and then another wrap of electrical tape to cover the sticky vulcanized tape. The first layer of tape makes it easier to remove to undue the connection in the future because that vulcanized rubber is hard to remove 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

When we do rf connectors, we wrap it first with electrical tape and then vulcanized rubber over the tape and beyond the tape to mAke the seal to the cable jacket and then another wrap of electrical tape to cover the sticky vulcanized tape. The first layer of tape makes it easier to remove to undue the connection in the future because that vulcanized rubber is hard to remove 

Good advise, I was thinking of doing it in two layers (like you I have some two inch electrical tape ready) with the electrical tape first but a third layer might be nice to avoid the stickiness as you say. Going to end up like some kind of micheline man battery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 3:16 PM, Jason McNeil said:
  1.  125xxx production: there is no sealant of any kind between the two shell halves! Furthermore, the battery pack is resting directly atop of the shell, with no strips of thin foam

 

On 9/27/2018 at 8:57 AM, Nils said:

This is news to me, so far Inmotion SCV seems to have adamantly claimed only the first batch suffered from this. Or did you mean that it only has a seal underneath at the joint of the halves and no sealant applied at the actual crack when joining? I'll guess I'll see soon as I intend to open up my 125xxx wheel sometime in the near future to seal things up.

I opened my wheel up today (125xxx) and can say that my wheel did have a sealant applied, as well as foam tape on the battery. I think that what was described above is for the first batch (124xxx).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nils said:

 

I opened my wheel up today (125xxx) and can say that my wheel did have a sealant applied, as well as foam tape on the battery. I think that what was described above is for the first batch (124xxx).

It's most likely a real QC issue, some assemblers/shifts are doing a good job, and others not.  Maybe being rushed to get a shipments out, poor instruction, indifferent assembler... So probably what was reported has been seen, but generalizing it to a given serial-number range is only something the Manufacturer could do with out an incredibly large sample size. 

I just hope this all gets cleared up, as the wheel does seem to be really good in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time for a status update! 

Has everyone who sought remedy from Inmotion received it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the tail end of the first shipment of S/N 124xxxx wheels from Jason at eWheels, getting one of the wheels Jason had held back in case he had to replace an earlier buyer's wheel. Mine has made the trip to CA and back to WA. It showed up last Monday, Oct 1. Seems to be running fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 12:54 PM, Biped Phil said:

Time for a status update! 

Has everyone who sought remedy from Inmotion received it?

I have not. Even after contacting inmotion, still nothing :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 2:54 PM, Biped Phil said:

Time for a status update! 

Has everyone who sought remedy from Inmotion received it?

I'm still waiting on my weather proofing kit, I'm not happy right now as 3 emails have gone unanswered by myinmotion, this was ordered directly from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a data point, I received an email from Jason on 8/22 stating the DIY kit would be shipped later that week. It didn't. I emailed Jason twice asking for an update with no response. Then last week I received a "your UPS package will be delivered" email and received the DIY kit yesterday. Keeping in mind Jason wasn't happy with the quality of the kit, I plan to go a modified route--spray the battery with several coats of white Flex Seal (thicker than the transparent stuff), then wrap in the DIY shell, seal the seam and openings with the provided gasket sealer, wrap with gorilla tape, and use helicopter tape instead of gasket sealer to seal the shell halves. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 11:54 AM, Biped Phil said:

Has everyone who sought remedy from Inmotion received it?

My wife sent hers in a few weeks ago. Got it back in less than a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was one of the late purchasers of the last batch of v10f from inmotion usa and was told to expect a 2-3 month delay from regular shipment in August. Just got notified that my wheel's been shipped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not received a response or remedy kit since the original email I received from myinmotion on Sept 13, 2018 and replying with my address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So perhaps a little off-topic I'm not sure, however, I've recently ordered a V10 from Gearbest. Currently, I am awaiting dispatch for the last week or two from ordering because they are out of stock and are on back-order. From this, I assume they are waiting for a new batch to be delivered by InMotion to Gearbest.

What are the chances do you think, that a 'new' batch pending receipt by Gearbest will have any/all of this threads issues resolved? Should I feel confident that this "new" batch pending delivery to Gearbest will feature all of the above improvements/adjustments, or is it likely they will be shipping out just another extension of previous problematic batches? Obviously I appreciate this is retailer dependant and without inside knowledge (or the wheel delivered), it's difficult to know/predict. I guess I'm just hoping as they are currently out of stock pending delivery, that the next delivery will be considered a "good" delivery with InMotion having remedied all of the above problems on any new production runs.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adampj said:

So perhaps a little off-topic I'm not sure, however, I've recently ordered a V10 from Gearbest. Currently, I am awaiting dispatch for the last week or two from ordering because they are out of stock and are on back-order. From this, I assume they are waiting for a new batch to be delivered by InMotion to Gearbest.

What are the chances do you think, that a 'new' batch pending receipt by Gearbest will have any/all of this threads issues resolved? Should I feel confident that this "new" batch pending delivery to Gearbest will feature all of the above improvements/adjustments, or is it likely they will be shipping out just another extension of previous problematic batches? Obviously I appreciate this is retailer dependant and without inside knowledge (or the wheel delivered), it's difficult to know/predict. I guess I'm just hoping as they are currently out of stock pending delivery, that the next delivery will be considered a "good" delivery with InMotion having remedied all of the above problems on any new production runs.

Thoughts?

From my understanding ,and someone please correct me if i'm wrong, Gearbest is a greymarket importer which means they are not importing the product legally and you can't be sure which batch you will get.  Getting service will also be a challenge because of the import issue.  Ian from Speedyfeet mentioned this in his last video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 12:23 PM, adampj said:

So perhaps a little off-topic I'm not sure, however, I've recently ordered a V10 from Gearbest. Currently, I am awaiting dispatch for the last week or two from ordering because they are out of stock and are on back-order. From this, I assume they are waiting for a new batch to be delivered by InMotion to Gearbest.

What are the chances do you think, that a 'new' batch pending receipt by Gearbest will have any/all of this threads issues resolved? Should I feel confident that this "new" batch pending delivery to Gearbest will feature all of the above improvements/adjustments, or is it likely they will be shipping out just another extension of previous problematic batches? Obviously I appreciate this is retailer dependant and without inside knowledge (or the wheel delivered), it's difficult to know/predict. I guess I'm just hoping as they are currently out of stock pending delivery, that the next delivery will be considered a "good" delivery with InMotion having remedied all of the above problems on any new production runs.

Thoughts?

I'd say your changes are better than 50% that some of the issues will be addressed, but maybe not all of them, as there seems to be some disagreement within InMotion on what is on 'the list of Problems'.  If you ordered a V10 vs a V10F then note, that some sources claim the V10 never had any of the issues of the V10F.  Just to be safe though you might want to open the covers, and see how far you get.  Just for piece of mind, and so that you can address them right at the beginning if anything needs addressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 6:40 PM, Dan NYC said:

From my understanding ,and someone please correct me if i'm wrong, Gearbest is a greymarket importer which means they are not importing the product legally and you can't be sure which batch you will get.  Getting service will also be a challenge because of the import issue.  Ian from Speedyfeet mentioned this in his last video.

 

On 11/3/2018 at 11:07 PM, FreeRide said:

I'd say your changes are better than 50% that some of the issues will be addressed, but maybe not all of them, as there seems to be some disagreement within InMotion on what is on 'the list of Problems'.  If you ordered a V10 vs a V10F then note, that some sources claim the V10 never had any of the issues of the V10F.  Just to be safe though you might want to open the covers, and see how far you get.  Just for piece of mind, and so that you can address them right at the beginning if anything needs addressing.

Hi All, 

Just received confirmation from Gearbest that the stock due in should be modified stock to include improved glue quality and a fitted battery case. This has made me feel a little more reassured about the whole purchase. Going to press ahead with them for the moment and keep my fingers crossed :)

Screenshot attached of my reply received from Gearbest. Hope it might help others.

 

Screenshot_20181107-215322__01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys, some new case? the nee v10f are covered? I bought my few weeks ago and Im worry about that. The serial starts on 128. This issue was fixed? I use my v10f daily.

Tks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2018 at 9:05 PM, Nils said:

 

I opened my wheel up today (125xxx) and can say that my wheel did have a sealant applied, as well as foam tape on the battery. I think that what was described above is for the first batch (124xxx).

Can you please specify if the foam tape was also at the bottom of the battery protecting from the top of the shell case, or just on the sides of the battery. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for anyone that's interested, my V10 that arrived today from Gearbest is a 126XXXX serial model. Stamp in warranty books refers to July 2018.

Screenshot_20181219-173230__01.thumb.jpg.d8a733fe7cd581a7fd4a633ad7e18126.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...