Inmotion V10 fire.

Steve

1 minute ago, Cumulus Libre said:

In the near future Inmotion will for more security integrate a plastic box to protect the battery as done in the V8.

8 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

For even more security we ( IM France) have decided to communicate in a few days from now that we deliver for free this box so you can fix it yourself.

I am having a few thoughts on this communication : 

• I think it's good that we hear communication from Inmotion, so happy to see that they are constructive and positive
  • I am a newbie but after seeing the disassembly videos, I am wondering how that plastic/PVC box will look like? and how we will fit in the housing? enough place?
  • That means that you have to open the 127xxx which is supposed to have a good seal, so with putting the plastic box in place, then you'll have to do the sealing again...
  • I have no problem with DIY but i can assume that not everyone is in favour of DIY...

Furthermore, I have also understood that Inmotion has been affected by the severe typhoon, I wish them all the best and my thoughts are going to the workers, family and relatives who are being confronted with this typhoon. I sincerely hope they are ok !

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Fastmike said:

In other word, even if your wheel is not on the list, it might potentially goes on fire! Only reliable (?) fix is to have the sealant redone AND the battery case installed. 

Since no wheel delivered to customers by mid-August (and probably later) had the battery case installed, they are all concerned!

I wouldn't conclude that .. however it's a possible conclusion ;)

I read that "for even more protection we will in the future include a casing like the V8 "

You could conclude : "for people peace of mind we suggest the DIY kit " and nowhere they are stating that without the box it might potentially go on fire, since the new sealant on the other none 124xx 125xx models could be sufficient.. 

But there is room for interpretation, and I am in no means defending them, I am just sharing  with the community what I found on a french forum... 

I own a V10f so I am following up on this matter.. at this stage I am not sure what to think about all of this !

11 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

I am having a few thoughts on this communication : 

• I think it's good that we hear communication from Inmotion, so happy to see that they are constructive and positive
  • I am a newbie but after seeing the disassembly videos, I am wondering how that plastic/PVC box will look like? and how we will fit in the housing? enough place?
  • That means that you have to open the 127xxx which is supposed to have a good seal, so with putting the plastic box in place, then you'll have to do the sealing again...
  • I have no problem with DIY but i can assume that not everyone is in favour of DIY...

Furthermore, I have also understood that Inmotion has been affected by the severe typhoon, I wish them all the best and my thoughts are going to the workers, family and relatives who are being confronted with this typhoon. I sincerely hope they are ok ! 

Yes, it's nice to see that divisions other than Inmotion USA is following suit. The casing will fit, but if I recall correctly when looking at some previous instructions (from somewhere in the V10F thread IIRC, don't have it accessible) you might have to remove some smaller plastic dividers or similar. Nothing big though. Here's a pic of the new casing from another thread in the forum:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

I wouldn't conclude that .. however it's a possible conclusion ;)

I read that "for even more protection we will in the future include a casing like the V8 "

You could conclude : "for people peace of mind we suggest the DIY kit " and nowhere they are stating that without the box it might potentially go on fire, since the new sealant on the other none 124xx 125xx models could be sufficient.. 

But there is room for interpretation, and I am in no means defending them, I am just sharing  with the community what I found on a french forum... 

I own a V10f so I am following up on this matter.. at this stage I am not sure what to think about all of this !

Now it is all about CYA!!!   :D nothing else...

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It appears (I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE) any wheel without a hard plastic battery housing is at risk.

How do you come to that conclusion?  I was going to weather protect the battery using  2” wide electrical tape with 2 opposing wraps to protect the battery from water before they announced the battery case. I doubt that thin????  case will physically protect it much if you are thinking about physical damage caused fires. Crash fires like the riverbed crash would be hard to prevent. I’m still going to wrap the case to seal it together. 

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It appears (I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE) any wheel without a hard plastic battery housing is at risk.

Nope...Sure a hard plastic housing gives a better water resistance than a wrapped battery pack...

But the main problem here was the missing seal in the wheel. Its just very important that the battery is protected by water ingress...and THAT was the problem of the v10...water ingress may happen...

So -in my opinion- when they stopped the water ingress by sealing up the casing/shell, then you are good to go!

My 2 cents at least....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Nope...Sure a hard plastic housing gives a better water resistance than a wrapped battery pack...

But the main problem here was the missing seal in the wheel. Its just very important that the battery is protected by water ingress...and THAT was the problem of the v10...water ingress may happen...

So -in my opinion- when they stopped the water ingress by sealing up the casing/shell, then you are good to go!

My 2 cents at least....

With the battery fully waterproofed, the seam could be left without a seal if the battery is the only thing in there. My DIY kit is coming cross country by mule ground train UPS. Sure hope it gets here for this weekend. I’m probably the last to get it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, US69 said:

I feel the same way but to be absolutely certain it may require someone (not me) to ride through a series of deep puddles and then open up the modified wheel to evaluate if any moisture infiltrated the case. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I feel the same way but to be absolutely certain it may require someone (not me) to ride through a series of deep puddles and then open up the modified wheel to evaluate if any moisture infiltrated the case. 

Your mad-scientist days truly are over :efeff54d4a:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, US69 said:

My 2 cents at least....

I agree, BUT the seal needs to be all around since the entry point is not only by the wheel area. If you look at the videos and pictures available, water can get in by other entries that are not insolated at the top of the wheels. That will be worse when people will start opening their wheels to replace tires or other parts.

That is what IM probably realized after looking at the first wheels having problems on the unsafe product they released in a rush.

So, if the issue is only the battery exposure, to make it short, I believe that, technically, the case is a good solution, if correctly sealed!

Now on the other hand, at one step it was mentionned they mislabeled old products with new sticker, ... which factory will do that? Sorry but I lost confidence...

Edited by Fastmike

6 hours ago, US69 said:

My 2 cents at least....

Was the seal missing though? My (very possibly misinformed) understanding was that the seal wasn't missing in the first batch, but that it was not strong enough, and that later batches just used a stronger seal. But then the question is, how strong and durable is the new seal? If it lasts forever and never frays or breaks then all is good. However, if there's a potential for it to degrade and break over time, with the same disastrous consequences we've seen so far, then another sealing barrier seems like a very good idea. For what it's worth I seem to remember from the ecodrift autopsy that the V10F battery wrap at least on that model wasn't fully satisfactory either (they compared it to the the KS18L battery where the wrap joints where fully sealed).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fastmike said:

So, if the issue is only the battery exposure, to make it short, ......

I'm thinking this is not the only, or even major issue.... I'm thinking the mounting of the battery may make some cells, or the cell monitoring PCB, susceptible to physical damage due to shock and/or vibration.  I know they are blaming water ingress, but I think there is likely more to this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

I'm thinking the mounting of the battery may make some cells, or the cell monitoring PCB, susceptible to physical damage due to shock and/or vibration.  

Why should that be that way?

As in all other wheels the battery sits rattle free and snug in the Wheel, and i haven't seen one battery pack where even the wrap was screwed or damaged…..while i have seen Pictures of V10 battery packs with dirt water running in/on the wrap.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Elder Meat said:

How thick does the plastic have to be to make it waterproof?

I guess as thin and as cheap as a milk jug.  Thickness of the body of the jug and not the handle or screw top.  

If I would have known it was going to be this material, I would have just taped it up 2 months ago. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I dunno. Tape has lots of seams that can fail and allow water to penetrate. At least this shell has only one. My only concern is if the plastic could abrade from vibrations (loose fit) and allow water intrusion that way. Maybe yes, maybe no, probably would take years for something like that to happen.