Inmotion V10 fire.

Steve

20 minutes ago, Fastmike said:

My wheel was a 125xxxx produced end of May. Totally agree with you! Sad...

Not even sure I want a replacement anymore but they will not reimburse me either so...

Well, same here, my wheel is a 125xxx produced end of May.. :(

I know that Inmotion France had a shipment of first-batch wheels that had been incorrectly given 125xxx serial numbers. Was your one these (relevant comment linked below)? If not, this would be the first instance of a wheel with the stronger seal catching fire that I've heard of.

13 minutes ago, Nils said:

Well, same here, my wheel is a 125xxx produced end of May.. :(

I know that Inmotion France had a shipment of first-batch wheels that had been incorrectly given 125xxx serial numbers. Was your one these (relevant comment linked below)? If not, this would be the first instance of a wheel with the stronger seal catching fire that I've heard of.

My wheel started abnormal behavior on August 17 and I immediately contacted InMotion. The V10F got on fire on August 18 and InMotion France did the callback on Facebook and forum on the 21st of August...  no email nothing.

But as IM USA mentionned, all wheels are impacted, not only a few. The original seal is defective and not reliable even if there.

Edited by Fastmike

9 minutes ago, Fastmike said:

My wheel started abnormal behavior on August 17 and I immediately contacted InMotion. The V10F got on fire on August 18 and InMotion France did the callback on Facebook and forum on the 21st of August...  no email nothing.

But as IM USA mentionned, all wheels are impacted, not only a few. The original seal is defective and not reliable even if there.

I agree with you! The official line from Inmotion global still seems to be that the stronger seal is sufficient however. Thus it would be very interesting to know whether your wheel was one of those mislabelled first-batch wheels or from an ordinary 125xxx batch.

Ok, so now it's three wheels in fire. That is a pattern already. There might be more with some hush deal. 

I think the new sealing and battery case will make V10F one of the best protected wheels out there. So the future might look good. But with three wheels in fire they must do something about our existing wheels. A rubber sealing will not make the insides dry if water has already got in. Moisture might continue working and causing shorts in the future. The battery and control board should be switched as well. How many more fire can InMotion deal with before going out of business?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fearedbliss said:

Just because someone has one post doesn't mean that they are lying, let alone most people in the EUC world aren't on EUC forums. Thus the skepticism is understandable but the tone isn't appreciated considering you are putting a lot of blame on the victim. I'm just happy that Steve even made an account to warn everyone. Most of the EUCs are not UL certified so just because Hoverboard are the ones that are blowing up most of the time, doesn't mean EUCs are immuned. As for the other people mentioning that phones and other devices use the same type of tech but they don't need to be placed outside (Lithium Ion), this is true, but all of those devices do have FCC/UL/and other types of certifications.

@SteveI'm glad you and your family are ok! Stay safe.

Fearedbliss, totally agree with you but many users here don't think proper certification is important. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fastmike said:

People are going to get killed a day or another by those time bomb, and InMotion refuses to take their responsibility and called back few days later, about 20 wheels only in my country, blaming on China!

So it's not just 3 wheels, but about 20 in France alone + however many others in other countries? Or did you mean 20 wheels needing the seal upgrades? I was going to play down that one earlier reported incidence as an isolated case, but if you mean 20 wheels have caught fire, then it's a very serious issue.

Edited by esaj

41 minutes ago, Mono said:

That part is understandable. One always has to turn in the malfunctioning product to get it repaired or replaced on warranty.

On the other hand, bringing a product to market that catches fire when exposed to moisture is an inexcusable misstep.

As mentionned earlier, I was told the destroyed wheel was disposed, and the only picture of the fire was took by my father with his old phone, and I agree does not permit to identify a V10!

The burnt handle that was sent to me is still in my custody but that is all I have left. InMotion asked me to clarify that to show that they are honnest and will have replaced the wheel with the relevant evidences, so I am doing it here to satisfy them.

So I am in total agreement with you that in usual warranty terms, that they should get the wheel back, but on the other hand, don't think that this is a 'normal' situation!

• Like 2

Wow. How many wet roads from watering grass sprinkler overspray did you drive through? Now I’m worried about my wheel. My DIY kit should be here by the end of the week but it will be 7 weeks since the alert was sent out. I’ve riden through puddles slowly and about 3 km of wet road right after it was cleaned by the city before being warned or known of the problem.  I have production number 8C which means number 140. 

I need to know what I am going to need to do if I find the battery has been wet ASAP. 

This could have been averted if the battery was sealed completely like other manufacturers do with their batteries. (Ninebot). 

Edited by Harold Farrenkopf
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

Wow. How many wet roads from watering grass sprinkler overspray did you drive through? Now I’m worried about my wheel. My DIY kit should be here by the end of the week but it will be 7 weeks since the alert was sent out. I’ve riden through puddles slowly and about 3 km of wet road right after it was cleaned by the city before being warned or known of the problem.  I have production number 8C which means number 140. 

I need to know what I am going to need to do if I find the battery has been wet ASAP. 

This could have been averted if the battery was sealed completely like other manufacturers do with their batteries. (Ninebot). 

Hello! Just less than a hundred meters, no more, and lightly wet... My understanding is that all wheels do have a layer of sealant by the tire area, but that the used product was not either properly applied or not good enough to stick (see video from Ecodrift or others that show how easy it can be removed).

So it might have start to quit earlier on some wheels like mine, allowing water to get in? Just my assumption.

About the wheel, it was always strored vertically and never exposed to rain.

A last comment about your serail number: you might be looking at the apps which shows an imcomplete serial number, just a part of it.

To get the full number, you have to look either at the warranty, at the box, or at the sticker that should be somewhere at the top of the V10 and starts with 12xxxxxx.

2 minutes ago, Fastmike said:

Hello! Just less than a hundred meters, no more, and lightly wet... My understanding is that all wheels do have a layer of sealant by the tire area, but that the used product was not either properly applied or not good enough to stick (see video from Ecodrift or others that show how easy it can be removed).

So it might have start to quit earlier on some wheels like mine, allowing water to get in? Just my assumption.

About the wheel, it was always strored vertically and never exposed to rain.

A last comment about your serail number: you might be looking at the apps which shows an imcomplete serial number, just a part of it.

To get the full number, you have to look either at the warranty, at the box, or at the sticker that should be somewhere at the top of the V10 and starts with 12xxxxxx.

The 8C were the last two digits of the 124 series so it was wheel number 8C in hex or 140 in decimal out their door. 

WOW, that was not much water exposure. 

We should all be scared shitless. 

Inmotion usa should tell us all who are DIYing it what now to look for on the battery condition and what they have seen in all their returned wheels. 

I like to gamble but not with other’s lives. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

The 8C were the last two digits of the 124 series so it was wheel number 8C in hex or 140 in decimal out their door. 

WOW, that was not much water exposure. 

We should all be scared shitless. 

Inmotion usa should tell us all who are DIYing it what now to look for on the battery condition and what they have seen in all their returned wheels. 

I like to gamble but not with other’s lives. 

So produced in April if I am not mistaking... have it checked! And if you decide to DIY, take pictures of everything, before and after!

1 minute ago, Fastmike said:

So produced in April if I am not mistaking... have it checked! And if you decide to DIY, take pictures of everything, before and after!

I’ve been waiting for the kit since it was offered - I replied as soon as it was offered that I wanted to do it myself. That way I could do it extra well and to be confident on the safety. Now, if I see any signs that water was in there and on the battery, I may just stop and demand a new battery. 

How long after your wet road ride did the wheel show signs of the malfunctioning?

17 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

I’ve been waiting for the kit since it was offered - I replied as soon as it was offered that I wanted to do it myself. That way I could do it extra well and to be confident on the safety. Now, if I see any signs that water was in there and on the battery, I may just stop and demand a new battery. 

How long after your wet road ride did the wheel show signs of the malfunctioning?

I would say a couple of days prior that. And the 'explosion' occured several hours later around 3AM the next day. 

Now that I have experienced the way that InMotion reacts, I strongly suggest to forgot about the DIY procedure! If something bad happen lately, they will say you did not do it right! 

Let them deal with it.

Edited by Fastmike
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fastmike said:

Now that I have experienced the way that InMotion reacts, I strongly suggest to forgot about the DIY procedure! If something bad happen lately, they will say you did not do it right! 

that is exactly what i’ve been saying.

water intrusion problems can be a real nightmare to fix.

in florida, to keep moisture out of the battery compartment, it would have to be air tight, almost a vacuum seal because our air is laden wih moisture. the problem with all the bottom sealing and sealing anywhere is condensation could form inside and have no where to go. 

idk what ecodrift is talking about because i don’t speak russian but it seemed they were suggesting something like dipping the pack in a material that totally encapsulated the pack.

thankfully, ain’t my problem, maybe someday i’ll build wheels but until then, no thanks. like i said watching the local news last night they were showing a house that burned down because of a charging drone battery.

i keep repeating that because we nerds probably like me have several drones at home too. so if ur v10f doesn’t light ur fire, ur drone might do it for u.

maybe this euc fire hopefully won’t get much attention out of our community.

Edited by novazeus
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

A safety note, never cut all those wires on that battery pack together because if there was any working batteries in there, you would have shorted them out .  Cut each wire separately. 

Good safety comment.

I did think about this BTW, but given the state of the batteries and wiring in this wheel, I wasn't much concerned about a possible short :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GamingBarbecue256 said:

TBH, I'm starting to worry that this may not actually always be a moisture issue. Are were sure that this couldn't be an issue with bad (or counterfeit) cells?

I'm really expecting this problem to get much worse with this wheel.

Everything is possible but I was not under that impression!

BTW, have you choosen your alias specifically for this post???   :D:D:D

Edited by Fastmike
  • Like 2