Inmotion V10 fire.

Steve

15 minutes ago, Zeno74 said:

My serial is 126...we have no info here about such problems, according to your info should I also worry and start working to seal the battery etc?

There are 3 cases (I believe):

• No plastic battery housing and bad sealing --> FIRE DANGER!!:shock2:
  • No plastic battery housing and good sealing --> They say it's ok, but personally, I would not trust the seal to last forever. If the seal fails, fire! I would not want to live with that danger:efeeab781c:
  • Plastic battery housing --> Good:efee47c9c8:

Ask your seller which case your 126... serial is. Maybe he will give you a battery housing if you annoy him enough.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

There are 3 cases (I believe):

• No plastic battery housing and bad sealing --> FIRE DANGER!!:shock2:
  • No plastic battery housing and good sealing --> They say it's ok, but personally, I would not trust the seal to last forever. If the seal fails, fire! I would not want to live with that danger:efeeab781c:
  • Plastic battery housing --> Good:efee47c9c8:

Ask your seller which case your 126... serial is. Maybe he will give you a battery housing if you annoy him enough.

As far as I’ve understood  I should be in the middle case but he told me i’m Ok...

18 hours ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

I mean it is really thin, thinner and more flimsy than a milk jug container.   This is the kit I got. 

Meant to be like a plastic bag that can withstand 60ºC?

Edited by Mono

9 hours ago, Elder Meat said:

I dunno. Tape has lots of seams that can fail and allow water to penetrate. At least this shell has only one. My only concern is if the plastic could abrade from vibrations (loose fit) and allow water intrusion that way. Maybe yes, maybe no, probably would take years for something like that to happen.

I have good quality 2” wide electrical tape that would overlap each turn by 1” and the another wrap at a different angle. No possibility of water getting through. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

60C where?  Batteries get to 60C?

I see regularly battery temperatures above 40ºC in the app, but can't remember the highest temperature I have seen. To my understanding, Li-Ion batteries can get warmer than 60ºC under high stress without suffering immediate damage. It would be up to the controller to prevent this to happen.

47 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

In the interests of public safety, sharing the body of evidence that's emerging:

33 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Jason McNeil Only the last picture of your above post shows for me (multiple browsers).

Jason as Mono mentioned only the last photo of your string is visible. 

So basically the LG cells are poor construction/material quality as they corrode easily and will then short across the small gap between the two electrodes. Also, InMotion designed the V10F without a liner in the wheel well to prevent spray water from penetrating  and stop mud from being trapped in there, and the battery pack is not adequately protected. I wonder when we will see a EUC that can be used all year round regardless the weather, and with properly ruggedised shell that can take the inevitable knocks and falls. Manufacturers need to up their game.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Jason McNeil Instead of silicone sealant, what do you or Raleigh think of using helicopter tape? https://www.amazon.com/ISC-Racers-Tape-HT2614-Helicopter-OG-HD/dp/B000QC6H90/?th=1

Maybe a little less messy and easier to cut open and reseal if you need to open up the case again. Also why did you choose the clear flexseal, which is formulated differently than the opaque stuff?

6 minutes ago, Elder Meat said:

@Jason McNeil Instead of silicone sealant, what do you or Raleigh think of using helicopter tape? https://www.amazon.com/ISC-Racers-Tape-HT2614-Helicopter-OG-HD/dp/B000QC6H90/?th=1

Maybe a little less messy and easier to cut open and reseal if you need to open up the case again. Also why did you choose the clear flexseal, which is formulated differently than the opaque stuff?

Strong stuff. That tape is specifically designed to protect the leading edge of helicopter blades from nicks and abrasion as they spin at 300 mph. In my opinion the material is not applicable for this situation but who knows. 

LOL again. Funny how I was mocked at by saying the battery case was too thin and as thin and cheap as a milk jug. So basically, I got nothing in my DIY repair kit that I’m going to use. BTW, where are the new pads that everyone else was getting when they sent their wheels in to INMOTION USA???  Did I get an incomplete kit?  43427ADE-B2E6-4F3C-A7DD-47AE569D06AC.thumb.jpeg.c8a8609b14c06633106fdde3b151e300.jpeg

I wonder if using several layers of 'cling film' to wrap, seal and cushion the cells with an outer wrap of duct tape will do. I don't have a V10, but I am building a larger battery for my V8 so preventing battery fires due to corrosion is also something that concerns me.

10 minutes ago, Nic said:

I wonder if using several layers of 'cling film' to wrap, seal and cushion the cells with an outer wrap of duct tape will do. I don't have a V10, but I am building a larger battery for my V8 so preventing battery fires due to corrosion is also something that concerns me.

I bought some good quality of 2” wide electrical tape almost 2 months ago waiting for the kit. I could have been riding a lot more on wet roads if I didn’t wait for this kit with the cheap poorly made case as reported by Raleigh. 

F6575BBB-880C-4161-BCCD-6DC2F3F10944.jpeg

48682980-5406-410D-9387-ECF99EE8B45E.jpeg

• Like 1