Inmotion V10 fire.

Steve

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

A good point! I'm wondering how this can happen on a V10(F), but all the Gotways have loosely foil-wrapped battery packs and there was never, ever a water-related problem. The battery cable on my ACM (and many of their other wheels) exits the pack on the bottom, so this way no water can flow in. And the foil isn't tight (and not sealed), so condensation and wet air aren't kept inside.

Maybe the V10 battery is wrapped too tightly, so it lets no water (from condensation) out? Does the tire throw water onto dangerous spots from where it can flow into the battery pack?

That is kind of the direction that my mind was going with this. I mean, the Quadcopter and R/C communities have a lot of experience with lithium-ion battery fires (admittedly with lipo packs rather than 18650s and similar cells). It doesn't seem to me that water is a common trigger there.

Of course, I'm just guessing, but I'm afraid the water diagnosis might have some guesswork as well. Considering the gravity of the situation, that worries me a bit.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I have purposely refrained from ill comment on the troubled V10F. When I commented about the continuous ACM troubles last year the GW Gods struck me down with a bolt of lightening. 

smart, trust me, as sketchy of a device these wheels are, my superstitious senses are elevated too. 

thank goodness for my rabbit’s foot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Do you have any idea how much the autopsied  ACM, showcased in a shadow box, would have commanded on eBay?  

A missed opportunity for sure ;)

• Like 1

so my ups guy called me and apologized because he forgot to swing back by the ranch.

i had already loaded it in my touareg so i thought to myself, do i let it catch on fire in the vehicle and let inmotion fight with geico or hustle it down to the ups store and let the store burn down tn. 

i just dropped it off at ups. good riddance.

i like my touareg.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, novazeus said:

so my ups guy called me and apologized because he forgot to swing back by the ranch.

i had already loaded it in my touareg so i thought to myself, do i let it catch on fire in the vehicle and let inmotion fight with geico or hustle it down to the ups store and let the store burn down tn. 

i just dropped it off at ups. good riddance.

i like my touareg.

Touareg.  You are loaded.  I’ve got a 99 beetle tdi, 05 beetle tdi, 10 city golf, 17 Jetta and a 17 golf wagon that was the 13 Jetta tdi buyback replacement. Everyone has their own car here. 

15 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

Touareg.  You are loaded.  I’ve got a 99 beetle tdi, 05 beetle tdi, 10 city golf, 17 Jetta and a 17 golf wagon that was the 13 Jetta tdi buyback replacement. Everyone has their own car here. 

i had a 2013 passat tdi also.

unfortunately some kid texting, i’m sure, rear ended me in 2014 ob the interstate when an accident up ahead made eveybody stop on the interstate. we saw thisidiot coming but nothing we could do but brace.just a little over a year since a 19 year old girl texting ran a red light and took out my 2012 z06.

like $12k in damage not enough to total it and because of the accident it wasn’t the same afterwards. lots of problems. i traded for another pos, a honda accord before the buyback thing. just my luck. 

this touareg was brand new when i bought it in march but it was a 2016. 

vw touareg lux tdi, msrp 60k i paid 47k. it’s the only diesel i could find. at 4919  pounds and 7716 pounds towing kinda makes it unique.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, novazeus said:
6 hours ago, novazeus said:

unfortunately some kid texting, i’m sure, rear ended me in 2014 ob the interstate when an accident up ahead made eveybody stop on the interstate. we saw thisidiot coming but nothing we could do but brace.just a little over a year since a 19 year old girl texting ran a red light and took out my 2012 z06.

You moved from a Z06 to an Accord?... tough...:(

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I have dissected a burned up wheel. The remaining batteries are a toxic nightmare. There is no way that you would want to ship that mess to anybody. Inmotion is crazy to expect a customer to send them a burned up wheel. Very disappointing, but sounds like a typical Chinese manufacturer response.

Want to see what toxic mess that a burned up wheel looks like? Take a look at this video

Impressive! We have all seen EUC going on fire, but so far when charging, or after being immerged in water like on the vid posted by Marty. 
IM's wheel seems to be able to ignitiate anytime, plugged or not!!! I am barely able to attend it when charging, but certainly not 24/7...  can you?

• Like 1

This V10F issue is spiraling downhill quickly.  :blink:  I just hope no one gets hurt or killed.  If something like that happens, and if it were to hit the news in the US it could go viral and bring about a really bad knee jerk reaction to EUCs just like what happened with hoverboards.  It could spell dark times for the hobby in many ways.

• Like 2

@Fastmike In order to get a correct understanding of the current situation, could you please clarify whether your 125XXX wheel was one of the mislabelled first-batch wheels (e.g. one of those on the later released list of serials)? I'm with @Jason McNeil and Inmotion USA regardless in that a battery casing is needed, and will make sure to get one myself somehow, but it would be very interesting to know whether your had the stronger seal or not. It would be first case I've heard of that in that case, and clearly indicating that the stronger seal is not sufficient.

12 minutes ago, Nils said:

@Fastmike In order to get a correct understanding of the current situation, could you please clarify whether your 125XXX wheel was one of the mislabelled first-batch wheels (e.g. one of those on the later released list of serials)? I'm with @Jason McNeil and Inmotion USA regardless in that a battery casing is needed, and will make sure to get one myself somehow, but it would be very interesting to know whether your had the stronger seal or not. It would be first case I've heard of that in that case, and clearly indicating that the stronger seal is not sufficient.

That will be difficult for me to reply now that my wheel got into flames.. just a last word about that,  I partially understand IM position since they say I cannot provide sufficient evidences. Fair enough. I tried to be honnest, wanted to play it nice and failed miserably. I just lost less than 1700 euros. Not a big deal since we are all safe! Let's forget about that and move on.

The only thing I know is my warranty card shows a build date of May 29, 2018. So they will also have 'mistamped' the cards with a later date???

So I doubt that there is any 'mislabelled' wheel...  As Scott outlined in his email sent to me on August 15th, "I can tell you it's very likely you would need a fix to be properly weather sealed if you already have a V10 or V10F. "

And as shown on the initial InMotion US and EcoDrift videos of the fix, you had first to remove the initial defective sealant. So Even the wheels with sealant in place were exposed to that risk. Maybe the sealant was poorly applied or of inadeaquate quality, that I have no clue, but it needed to be replaced.

hope that helps

Edited by Fastmike

8 minutes ago, Fastmike said:

That will be difficult for me to reply now that my wheel got into flames.. just a last word about that,  I partially understand IM position since they say I cannot provide sufficient evidences. Fair enough. I tried to be honnest, wanted to play it nice and failed miserably. I just lost less than 1700 euros. Not a big deal since we are all safe! Let's forget about that and move on.

The only thing I know is my warranty card shows a build date of May 29, 2018. So they will also have 'mistamped' the cards with a later date???

So I doubt that there is any 'mislabelled' wheel...  As Scott outlined in his email sent to me on August 15th, "I can tell you it's very likely you would need a fix to be properly weather sealed if you already have a V10 or V10F. "

And as shown on the initial InMotion US and EcoDrift videos of the fix, you had first to remove the initial defective sealant. So Even the wheels with sealant in place were exposed to that risk. Maybe the sealant was poorly applied or of inadeaquate quality, that I have no clue, but it needed to be replaced. 

hope that helps

Thanks! Yes, as you say the most important thing is that you're all right, but even so it would be a shame to see you having to accept being out of 1700 euros as a result of this.. :(

Exactly what happened with the 125XXX wheels I don't know, but from what little information I've seen there seem to have been something amiss for Inmotion France's order (relevant post linked below). My understanding of the seal is that they switched to a stronger seal for later batches out of the factory, but if you're going to install the battery casing you need to split the wheel and remove the existing seal, regardless of the quality of it. Anyway, it doesn't matter for water proofing it you agree that just the seal, no matter how strong, will not be enough. The battery casing is so far (that I know of) only being installed installed on wheels from Inmotion USA or from eWheels however, so there are lots of wheels out there with the stronger seal which are considered by Inmotion globally (not Inmotion USA) as good enough. Hence my interest in knowing more about your wheel.

• Like 1

Their is some news in Europe for what concerns the V10f , on the french forum Inmotion France has posted the following for their clients. 

You can read the original post below for the french speaking among us... for the non French speaking I have translated in short : 

Hello everyone , 

we have been recalling the affected V10f's , in previous post they have put all the affected EUC's by showing their Serial numbers : 124xxx and 125 xxx

• A l'avenir, Inmotion intégrera , pour encore plus de sécurité, un boitier plastique pour entourer la batterie comme sur la V8.
  • Pour encore plus de sécurité, Nous avons d'ailleurs pris la décision, Nous Inmotion France / New Walkings  qui sera communiqué d'ici quelques jours de fournir gratuitement a l'ensemble des clients de notre réseau ce boitier ainsi que le nécessaire pour procéder a l'opération vous même .

In the near future Inmotion will for more security integrate a plastic box to protect the battery as done in the V8.

For even more security we ( IM France) have decided to communicate in a few days from now that we deliver for free this box so you can fix it yourself.

• * Si vous avez déja une V10 / V10F , que  vous ne faites pas partie de la liste des 20 numeros de series et que votre achat provient bien de notre réseau Inmotion France / New Walkings , suivez bien notre actualité et messages sur nos réseaux sociaux dans les jours afin de pouvoir bénéficier gratuitement de ce kit qui sera disponible d'ici quelques jours.   

If you own allready a V10f and your not among the affected serial numbers shown in a previous post, then we will make it possible to get you a free kit which will be available in a few days.. 

• Pour rappel, il est toujours déconseillé de rouler sous la pluie et sur sol mouillé.

Reminder : It is always disadviced to ride in rain and wet roads..

Bonjour a tous 

@Frank, Nous avons déja communiqué a ce sujet et procédé , a la demande de INMOTION Chine , au rappel de 20 produits issus de notre réseau .

Voir le post ci dessous sur le forum : ( nous avions également communique sur notre page Facebook a ce sujet ) 

De plus , nous avions déja communiqué ici même sur le fait que notre situation était différente de celle des USA puisque nous avions volontairement refusé d'etre approvisionné sur le 1er batch qui est touché par ce problème d'étanchéité : nous n'avions donc aucune raison de communiquer sur un sujet qui ne nous concerne pas puisque notre container est issu du 2eme Batch de Production.

Malheureusement , cela a néanmoins  touché une toute petite partie de notre stock issu de notre 1er container recu Mi Juillet , d'ou le rappel de 20 pièces effectués Mi Aout a la demande de INMOTION Chine .

@wheeler dealer, vous avez raison , le souci concernait bien le Joint Silicone sur le 1er batch .

A l'avenir, Inmotion intégrera , pour encore plus de sécurité, un boitier plastique pour entourer la batterie comme sur la V8.

Pour encore plus de sécurité, Nous avons d'ailleurs pris la décision, Nous Inmotion France / New Walkings  qui sera communiqué d'ici quelques jours de fournir gratuitement a l'ensemble des clients de notre réseau ce boitier ainsi que le nécessaire pour procéder a l'opération vous même .

Donc , pour résumer 

* si votre produit est issu de notre réseau et fait partie de la liste des 20 Numéros de séries, merci de nous communiquer vos coordonnées en MP afin que l'on prenne contact avec vous : pas d'inquiétude a avoir, tout sera pris en charge par Inmotion France / New Walkings .

* Si vous avez déja une V10 / V10F , que  vous ne faites pas partie de la liste des 20 numeros de series et que votre achat provient bien de notre réseau Inmotion France / New Walkings , suivez bien notre actualité et messages sur nos réseaux sociaux dans les jours afin de pouvoir bénéficier gratuitement de ce kit qui sera disponible d'ici quelques jours.   

Pour rappel, il est toujours déconseillé de rouler sous la pluie et sur sol mouillé.

@Frank, ou avez vous achete votre V10 / V10 F ?

Edited by Cumulus Libre
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

* Si vous avez déja une V10 / V10F , que  vous ne faites pas partie de la liste des 20 numeros de series et que votre achat provient bien de notre réseau Inmotion France / New Walkings , suivez bien notre actualité et messages sur nos réseaux sociaux dans les jours afin de pouvoir bénéficier gratuitement de ce kit qui sera disponible d'ici quelques jours.   

Pour rappel, il est toujours déconseillé de rouler sous la pluie et sur sol mouillé.

Thanks!

In other word, even if your wheel is not on the list, it might potentially goes on fire! Only reliable (?) fix is to have the sealant redone AND the battery case installed. 

Since no wheel delivered to customers by mid-August (and probably later) had the battery case installed, they are all concerned!

Edited by Fastmike