Inmotion V10 fire.

Steve

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think the V10 is now on my no-go list of EUCs.

I'd wait til we find out what exactly causes the fires. Most likely it will be fixed. Did you give up on Gotway or the Msuper V3 after the oscillation thing?:efee8319ab: These videos are scary, though. Such a fire indoors would be disastrous.

The V10(F) is too fine of a wheel to dismiss it if they can just improve on some known weak points (this, and maybe something can be done with the overheating on hills) and then it will be as good as any other wheel.

--

Is it confirmed the fire(s?) are from water ingress? Or might there be another cause?

I wonder how this can happen as IM designed the wheel with some waterproofing features, while a certain other manufacturer who doesn't even seem to give a **** about that has a perfect track record in wet conditions. (Un)lucky design?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I'd wait til we find out what exactly causes the fires. Most likely it will be fixed. Did you give up on Gotway or the Msuper V3 after the oscillation thing?:efee8319ab: These videos are scary, though. Such a fire indoors would be disastrous.

The V10(F) is too fine of a wheel to dismiss it if they can just improve on some known weak points (this, and maybe something can be done with the overheating on hills) and then it will be as good as any other wheel.

--

Is it confirmed the fire(s?) are from water ingress? Or might there be another cause?

I wonder how this can happen as IM designed the wheel with some waterproofing features, while a certain other manufacturer who doesn't even seem to give a **** about that has a perfect track record in wet conditions. (Un)lucky design?

We'll have to wait for more information, obviously, but fires are an order of magnitude more serious than a firmware oscillation bug.  Personally, the V10 has been off my list of potential wheels I'd consider for a while now.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

In my time in this sport, this is the first wheel that has had multiple fires. We're not talking about firmware bugs, broken axles, etc. We're talking about your house burning down.

For me, my opinion, I wouldn't own a V10. There are too many alternatives available. Why risk owning one that may go up in flames even if unlikely.

i got my return label yesterday in the mail, so tmrw this other customers wheel is leaving the ranch. i’ve got the original box even though it’s getting pretty worn. it’s probably been around the world once in distance.

like i said yesterday, everything happens for a reason.

hpoefully ups doesn’t monitor this forum because they might refuse taking it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sorry. I definitely didn't mean to put blame on @Steve, and I see that my tone was cold:efeeab781c: Honestly, it was just the lack of details that irritated me. "V10 fire" in the title and a scary video and pictures but no explanation how this had happened. Guess the wheel did get wet which caused this...

It does bother me too when so many people will post a picture of some accident, crash, etc. and provide zero details. Like we are supposed to be mind readers. I see it much less here, but it's rampant on Facebook :mellow:

48 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

After the report of the first-battery fire, there was a conference call between Inmotion USA, Bob & myself to discuss what was the  plan to deal with the earlier 124XX, & the later production that had not yet arrived. Inmotion CN's position was that the improvements in the 125XX... 'were sufficient', while my own opinion, & that of IM USA, were of the firm conviction that it was not, that the batteries needed to be encased, to provide an equivalent level of protection as was promised in the V8. It doesn't appear the full gravity of this vulnerability has hit home. 

This sort of conflagration is the worst possible scenario of any battery powered equipment, considering the number of mounting cases (three so far that I am aware of); if you are in another region, I would not accept the complacent position that the 125XX production round is without significant risk to spontaneous combustion. If you do own a V10/V10F please, please, do not ride it at all in the wet. Get a hold of the party who sold it to you to have the battery case fitted.  

that explains the contradiction of the service rep at inmotion usa and ian at speedyfeet.

so, it is true that inmotion factory is still building the units without the battery pack encasement?

the one they sent me is going back tmrw but storing wheels inside ur house might not be prudent. 

maybe ask an ex u are really mad at to store it for u.

• Like 1

Jason took the words out of my mind, to the extent that I was going to agree with Marty, "don't buy a V10", but I was going to caveat with "don't buy a V10F unless you're in the US and buying new from either Jason or IM USA". 

I would think retrofitting an existing battery pack isn't enough. If it was ridden at all then there's wet dirt that could have still accumulated in the battery pack area, just not enough yet for a catastrophic failure at this very moment. OP didn't ride in the rain and suddenly his battery pack decided it was time for fireworks. Intuitively it sounds like batterys already ridden with the old case and SN 124xx are at high risk, regardless of whether a new casing is applied after the fact.  The battery's would need inspection and possibly be thoroughly cleaned off or even replaced before re-casing, to be extra safe. But I'm no engineer so IDK. 

Edited by Glitched
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Harold Farrenkopf said:

So, how many km did you drive this wheel on wet pavement or puddles?  Maybe we will need the take the battery shrink off completely to inspect for water or water marks on the battery. But then what do we do if we find that?  Do we get a new replacement battery?

this is right up ur alley.

love to hear ur thoughts when u get into it.

that fire video is definitely a good illustraion/wake up call.

Edited by novazeus

7 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

After the report of the first-battery fire, there was a conference call between Inmotion USA, Bob & myself to discuss what was the  plan to deal with the earlier 124XX, & the later production that had not yet arrived. Inmotion CN's position was that the improvements in the 125XX... 'were sufficient', while my own opinion, & that of IM USA, were of the firm conviction that it was not, that the batteries needed to be encased, to provide an equivalent level of protection as was promised in the V8. It doesn't appear the full gravity of this vulnerability has hit home. 

This sort of conflagration is the worst possible scenario of any battery powered equipment, considering the number of mounting cases (three so far that I am aware of); if you are in another region, I would not accept the complacent position that the 125XX production round is without significant risk to spontaneous combustion. If you do own a V10/V10F please, please, do not ride it at all in the wet. Get a hold of the party who sold it to you to have the battery case fitted.  

Many thanks for your input Jason. Yeah, this discrepancy has nagged me for some time, and the additional report from @Steve just again highlights the potential disastrous consequences. Even though his wheel was from the first batch the later batches just provides a stronger silicon seal, and it seems to me that it's just a matter of time before time and wear will cause that to fail as well for some wheels. Inmotion is really playing fast and loose with peoples lives here, will it really require a fatal fire ending someone's life before they do something?

I'll pursue this on my front, but the sad fact seems to be that Inmotion Global is unfortunately not owning up to this at all, and you can't even get in contact with them. Not only that, but in my case, having bought it from AliExpress, they're explicitly trying to shirk any responsibility whatsoever (it's apparently OK if you buy it from their store on AliExpress, and the prices there are the same as on other stores, so..). Well, I'm not buying it, they have responsibility as manufacturers, and they need to deal with it responsibly.

This is just such a train wreck.. :(

Edited by Nils

18 minutes ago, Fastmike said:

Yes Sir! Really bad experience, believe me! And because my father refused to send it back to IM because he wanted a independant expertise to take them in court, and when I challenged him because I just wanted that wheel replaced, he told me he trashed it, InMotion does not want to replace it!

Initially they told me no worries, we will take care of you, so I agree to shut up on that, but a Month later, they are saying China does not want to replace it without the burned wheel!

Those V10 are time bombs! They are really dangerous and should not be on the market. IM did not react when we seeked for advice saying wheels are fine, 'stop looking at forums'!

I never drove in the rain, but after using it once on a light wet road (people taking care of their garden), the battery light started flashing.

Took the wheel outside my father's house after reading advices on this forum and at 3am we got woke up by an explosion and found the V10F on fire, with more 'sparkles' then on the video posted here.

5 were in the house, noone got injured, but I cannot imagine what will have happened if I did not put it outside! 

People are going to get killed a day or another by those time bomb, and InMotion refuses to take their responsibility and called back few days later, about 20 wheels only in my country, blaming on China!

Oh man.. :( I'm glad that you're all all right, and that you were knowledgeable about this issue and able to get the wheel to a safe place! I fear that not everyone will be as well informed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nils said:

Oh man.. :( I'm glad that you're all all right, and that you were knowledgeable about this issue and able to get the wheel to a safe place! I fear that not everyone will be as well informed.

Thanks Man!  Yep, nothing from InMotion before that happened! Was kind of 'lucky' that I was looking at this forum! Without that... the worse might have occured!

IM is saying that they cannot replace it without the wheel per their sale conditions! Does that mean that those conditions recognize that they are selling potential bombs???

Please be all very concerned and be extremely careful! At least IM USA told that ALL the wheels are concerned! Hope that the late fix will be reliable.

Edited by Fastmike
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fastmike said:

Thanks Man!  Yep, nothing from InMotion before that happened! Was kind of 'lucky' that I was looking at this forum! Without that... the worse might have occured!

IM is saying that they cannot replace it without the wheel per their sale conditions! Does that mean that those conditions recognize that they are selling potential bombs??? 

Please be all very concerned and be extremely careful! At least IM USA told that ALL the wheels are concerned! Hope that the late fix will be reliable.

I don't recall whether you said so earlier, but you had a first-batch wheel I guess? And no direct communication from Inmotion about the issue at all? Really, really bad. And yes, when the wheel explodes I would expect that they would stretch over backwards to make things right, not treat it like some ordinary malfunction complaint. Also, it makes me wonder how many cases there are actually out there since they seem intent on hushing things up as well as they can.

Here's a new V10F slogan I'd humbly like to suggest for consideration:

V10F: In motion and on fire!

• Like 2