Inmotion V10 fire.

Steve

36 minutes ago, esaj said:

Wasn't there at least one other V10 that had burned in the V10 thread? Caught fire during charging?

Perhaps you're thinking of the wheel in the UK that caught fire?

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16417613.electric-unicycle-catches-fire-at-block-of-flats-in-deptford/

Some more information about this can be found somewhere in the V10F thread, but that appears to be a result of the water ingress issue (it had the telltale flickering of the battery indicator) and the owner was in contact with Inmotion.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Keith said:

@Steve, Ive moved this from the Inmotion V10 thread as it needs to be seen seperately. A wheel catching fire is a very very unusual event these days and a short video and pictures tells us nothing useful.

Can you please explain what happened in considerably more detail. In particular, you tagged it on to a discussion on water ingress on the V10, but the wheel appears to be on fire in your garden, I.e. not whilst out riding it in the wet in the street? 

As to keeping them outdoors, virtually every portable powered thing we own these days is powered by the same batteries yet no one would think of keeping their iPhone or laptop outside so there has to be a particular reason this happened. Charging faults are the most common reason for this to happen and I for one have ALWAYS advocated not charging these devices unattended or leaving them on overnight.

Yes, please.

I don't want to trivialize what happened, but

• New account with one post (ok, that can be easily explained, you posted here to warn us).
  • These brand batteries dont just start burning by themselves.

So what exactly did go on? Where and when did you buy what wheel exactly, and how exactly did that fire happen?

We don't need another Hoverboard panic, or excuses for people to smear electric ridables, so please give details.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

Hey steve, 

can you tell us the first three numbers of the serial number? saying you bought it in may suggests it starts with a 124xx , did that mean that you did a fix on the water intrusion? DIY ? or not?

cheers

CL

SN No. 1240885fc3270040

No fix or opening - untouched.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gssrgtah4x5npke/Screenshot_20180909-125452_InMotion.jpg?dl=0

I generally go out as a group with kids - all airwheels ridden in same dry weather and all fine....except this.

Edited by Steve
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I am sorry to hear about your story, No one wants to go through such a bad experience !

I hope you and the family are ok, and that the kids are not too afraid of EUC's towards the future..

1 hour ago, Steve said:

it does make a hovering noise when you fire it up... doesn't seem normal ;) 

stupid joke , but trying to get a smile on your face after such a bad experience..

I wish you the best, 

another V10f owner..

• Upvote 1

This is very, very bad :( 

Glad that no one was harmed.

Inmotion should address this very clearly and openly !  After the first fire incident there should have been mandatory recall and replacement of all affected wheel batches, not just some optional "half-fix".  This just proves that all wheels before being released to the market should have minimal appropriate IP rating / testing. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, xebeche said:

This is very, very bad :( 

Glad that no one was harmed.

Inmotion should address this very clearly and openly !  After the first fire incident there should have been mandatory recall and replacement of all affected wheel batches, not just some optional "half-fix".  This just proves that all wheels before being released to the market should have minimal appropriate IP rating / testing. 

Well I certainly won't disagree if you say communication from Inmotion could be better as they in my view they have some serious work to do in that department. In this case the OP says he was contacted about the recall though. Perhaps the advisory should have been more strongly worded to fully enforce the seriousness of the situation (I don't have it in front of me now), but there was information sent at least.

The water ingress issue is said to affect only the first batch (serial 124XX..), where later batches should be fine. However, the upcoming shipment of V10Fs within the US will have extra protection installed (a proper battery casing), whereas the other batches (including my 125XX..) just have a stronger seal from the factory. So the stronger seal is deemed enough, except for the newer wheels sold in the US where it apparently is not enough. It remains to be seen whether we'll see more stories of these potentially life-threatening fires for wheels from newer batches as well that only have the stronger seal. It's not a pleasant thought at any rate, so I'll definitely keep a close eye on mine, and wouldn't leave it charging unattended.

Edited by Nils
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Steve said:

Please be careful ! These are life-threatening house burning battery issues!

I've just experienced it. Maybe consider keeping them outside rather than indoors?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mykajobdy7m9lh2/20180916_052136.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jd12k5mi0zvpylc/20180916_065739.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpt2lpw83kgxgtj/20180916_065713.jpg?dl=0

Welcome to the club!   :(

for those that thinks this only affects the first ones that got shipped out, i wouldn’t be so sure.

that’s what ian says, but when i was banging on inmotion to send me a factory fresh wheel because they shipped me back the wrong one, robert, the tech responded with this:

Unfortunately a brand new factory sealed wheel will NOT have the weather seal fix. Currently new wheels from the factory need upgrading from our US team to achieve proper weather-sealing.

Sorry to hear this. It is a bit worrying. Just yesterday I had no other choice but ride my V10F back home in rain. The DIY fix kit is on its way but will that be enough? If something has happened earlier sealing will not help. We should have a way to check if there has been water inside. This incident tells me that fire can happen a week after getting we and without any warning. I have no way of storing my wheel outside as I live in an apartment. 

• Like 1

@Jeffrey Scott Will or @Bobwheel: If I find that there has been water inside my wheel when I do the DIY sealing myself, what should I do? How can I know that it is safe to keep the wheel inside if it clearly has been wet and this is already the second fire incident (that we know of)? 

I'm ok with finishing the weather sealing process myself but that does not cancel the 2800 kilometres that I've already ridden. I never purposely ride when wet but there have obviously been days when I've had unplanned wet spots or rain. 

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

the forum members that only want happy fun posts probably will have their panties in a wad over this.

Please, let's just focus on the topic. This is important. 

Just now, UniVehje said:

Please, let's just focus on the topic. This is important. 

i know it is, i brought it up yesterday.

do what u want but taking on the responsibility of sealing up this v10f by the customer, is nuts. 

like i said yesterday, if u do the fix and the wheel burns down ur house, who is responsible now. 

i decided yesterday i’m getting rid of mine anyway. after reviewing the band aid for this made up my mind.

• Like 1

The current after production fix is to protect the battery from water ingress. The power led fluctuations sound like a control board malfunction. From the description I can't tell if water damage to the battery or motherboard led to the short circuit that started the fire. However it doesn't sound like either can be ruled out, and sealing the battery alone may not be enough.

Edited by Elder Meat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1