How to lock a KingSong 16s (pedal lock)

RockyTop

As people know it is hard to find a way to lock a KS. This is my solution. I drilled a 3/8" angled hole through the pedal from the bottom .  The hole is angled so that it come out the existing pedal screw hole. When the lock is in the hole it blocks the screw hole that allows you to remove the pedal. Technically you could still remove the pin from the other side but it would not be easy trying to suck the pin out. I use a full size 10 foot master cable lock so that I can lock two bikes and two EUCs  but you could also use a regular full size lock.   ( As you can see this is a learner wheel. Five people have learned to ride on this wheel so far. )

95621F36-36C2-4D4C-9F0A-1C4D5E57C00A_zps0FA2AE4F-1293-4F7B-A799-6F14F708CE51_zps

The problem is, that these wires/locks are very, very easy to cut. So when you park it in the same spot several times, and when one wants to easily steal it, they will spend only several seconds and will be in posession of your wheel.

18 minutes ago, eufp said:

The problem is, that these wires/locks are very, very easy to cut. So when you park it in the same spot several times, and when one wants to easily steal it, they will spend only several seconds and will be in posession of your wheel.

If someone really wants to take your wheel, there aren't many practical options to stop them... But something like this will prevent the "opportunist" thief from making a move.

I would say that the better option would be to run a thicker cable/chain through the holes in the wheel itself. This will force the thief to use higher grade cutter which is a harder thing to conceal and transport.

i never let mine out of my sight.. just because someone cant steal it doesnt mean some idiot cant purposely or accidentally knock it over.. or some kids investigate it lol.. has a trolley handle for a reason :P maybe im just overly cautious but a scrape or scuff on one of my euc's would drive me nuts lol

6 minutes ago, eufp said:

I would say that the better option would be to run a thicker cable/chain through the holes in the wheel itself. This will force the thief to use higher grade cutter which is a harder thing to conceal and transport.

which holes are you referring to? afaik only 18" wheels have holes in the wheel rims.. and as the kingsongs have trolley handles only so nothing to loop it through.. if someone really wanted it im guessing it wouldnt be terribly hard to break the trolley off

I use this as a way to lock the EUC when I am near by. For example I lock it to a tree while playing Frisbee with friends or if I have to leave it outside while I eat.  I still keep it in veiw it just keeps someone from grabing it while my head is turned. 

Any lock can be compromised. This video shows the simple tools that can be used. The pro's have even better tools. 

On 9/15/2018 at 7:33 AM, Rywokast said:

maybe im just overly cautious but a scrape or scuff on one of my euc's would drive me nuts lol

That is not crazy at all; unless I am crazy too?  you'd think mine was a Lambo the way I wipe it down to keep that Matte black finish in tip-top shape. 

On 9/14/2018 at 8:45 PM, RockyTop said:

As people know it is hard to find a way to lock a KS. This is my solution. I drilled a 3/8" angled hole through the pedal from the bottom .  The hole is angled so that it come out the existing pedal screw hole. When the lock is in the hole it blocks the screw hole that allows you to remove the pedal. Technically you could still remove the pin from the other side but it would not be easy trying to suck the pin out. I use a full size 10 foot master cable lock so that I can lock two bikes and two EUCs  but you could also use a regular full size lock.   ( As you can see this is a learner wheel. Five people have learned to ride on this wheel so far. )

95621F36-36C2-4D4C-9F0A-1C4D5E57C00A_zps0FA2AE4F-1293-4F7B-A799-6F14F708CE51_zps

That. Plus an obnoxious BACKDAF@$%UP proximity alert.         ???

On 9/15/2018 at 7:33 AM, Rywokast said:

:P maybe im just overly cautious but a scrape or scuff on one of my euc's would drive me nuts lol

35 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

That is not crazy at all; unless I am crazy too?  you'd think mine was a Lambo the way I wipe it down to keep that Matte black finish in tip-top shape. 

That is the purpose of this KS16s wheel. It keeps noobs off my nice wheels . 5 people have learned to ride on this one wheel. I took the InMotion cloth protective snuggy off for the picture. Amazingly I could replace the pedals and it would still look great. the black shell has not got any scratches yet. If you look hard you can see a small scratch on one of the pads. 

The cable look is a lot bigger than it looks in the pictures.  It weighs 3 pounds.  I use it to keep honest people honest. If someone sees a person pick up a wheel and walk away they don't think much about it but if they see them cut a lock and walk away they know something is wrong. 

14 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

That is the purpose of this KS16s wheel. It keeps noobs off my nice wheels . 5 people have learned to ride on this one wheel. I took the InMotion cloth protective snuggy off for the picture. Amazingly I could replace the pedals and it would still look great. the black shell has not got any scratches yet. If you look hard you can see a small scratch on one of the pads. 

The cable look is a lot bigger than it looks in the pictures.  It weighs 3 pounds.  I use it to keep honest people honest. If someone sees a person pick up a wheel and walk away they don't think much about it but if they see them cut a lock and walk away they know something is wrong. 

well then you have nothing to worry about the cable lock will work great :P i like my ks too much to ever let anyone ride it.. my starter wheel, the ninebot one is what i use to let people test out,, yea i seriously doubt anyone is going to for one be walking around with cable cutters and steal it in plain sight.. if you left it outside in a secluded area overnight thatd be worrisome but obviously not in front of a wal mart or grocery store haha.. this is a great idea

Archived