Sell my NEW Tesla or 2017 MsuperV3S+

Klin

Hello All,

I own a newer Tesla and MsuperV3S+ and since I am getting a Z10 in, I feel like I should sell one of my wheels. 

Please note that the Msuper I own is the 2017 model with the 1500w motor (not the upgraded Tesla 2000w).

I like the fast acceleration, speed and smoothness of the Tesla on the road but I feel like I should keep the MSuperV3S+ 1300wh for distance/trail riding.

If the Z10 replaces the Tesla completely as my street wheel , then I'm thinking about selling the Tesla and keep the Msuper for trail/distance riding, although I'm not sure if it would yet. I also don't want any seller's regret.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Klin said:

Hello All,

I own a newer Tesla and MsuperV3S+ and since I am getting a Z10 in, I feel like I should sell one of my wheels. 

Please note that the Msuper I own is the 2017 model with the 1500w motor (not the upgraded Tesla 2000w).

I like the fast acceleration, speed and smoothness of the Tesla on the road but I feel like I should keep the MSuperV3S+ 1300wh for distance/trail riding.

If the Z10 replaces the Tesla completely as my street wheel , then I'm thinking about selling the Tesla and keep the Msuper for trail/distance riding, although I'm not sure if it would yet. I also don't want any seller's regret.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

You got it right...:) if you want a range wheel keep the super... the Tesla is nice if you want the nimbleness and zip for on the road around town... the Z is in a class of it's own as far as I am concerned... I have just under 100 miles on mine and I am not in tune with it enough to feel like I would use it to zip around town which may or may not happen completely, time will tell... I don't think any wheel is as comfortable for the around town riding like a 16"... this includes a Tesla, 16S, or ACM... all are awesome :thumbup:  Good Luck

3 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Just an observation... you said Should instead of Need?

Yes, should. :D

I don't really NEED to sell it as I'm not in a situation where money is too tight or anything however I don't think I would ride all three wheels as much as I should, and one or two of them are definitely going to get neglected.

Just now, Klin said:

Yes, should. :D

I don't really NEED to sell it as I'm not in a situation where money is too tight or anything however I don't think I would ride all three wheels as much as I should, and one or two of them are definitely going to get neglected.

Gotcha... that is exactly the way you should look at it (my opinion) and the way I have been making my decisions... If you are not under the gun because of money, my suggestion is to wait and see how you warm up to the Z... it is a totally different animal at least for me... 

4 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

Gotcha... that is exactly the way you should look at it (my opinion) and the way I have been making my decisions... If you are not under the gun because of money, my suggestion is to wait and see how you warm up to the Z... it is a totally different animal at least for me... 

I've ridden @Marty Backe's Z10 a couple weeks ago although it was only for a short while. One thing I really enjoyed was the low speed stability on the wheel.

I have yet to ride the Z10 at a fast speed or on an offroad trail so we will see.

I would gladly exchange my Tesla for the Z10. At least as it stands now, I get more joy from the Z10.

Since money is not a driving force, I'd keep all three wheels. I believe it's important to have a minimum of two backup wheels :D

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I would gladly exchange my Tesla for the Z10. At least as it stands now, I get more joy from the Z10.

Since money is not a driving force, I'd keep all three wheels. I believe it's important to have a minimum of two backup wheels :D

What about your ACM2,s Marty so is the z10 favored over them?:(

31 minutes ago, tadrossi said:

What about your ACM2,s Marty so is the z10 favored over them?:(

This post was about the Tesla and the Z10.

I still think the ACM2 is my favorite all-around wheel, but I must say that I'm enjoying the Z10 the most at the moment.

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm enjoying the Z10 the most at the moment.

Did you challenge your super steep decent with the Z again or do you still think it does not have the breaking power to get you down safely?

42 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Did you challenge your super steep decent with the Z again or do you still think it does not have the breaking power to get you down safely?

I think we're getting a little off subject here. This is a post about selling a wheel.

59 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Yes. I released my Production Z10 Mountain Stress test ~3-weeks ago. The video thumbnail below is what happens when I go down very steep hills.

I've been think about why I have problems and you don't (besides you weighing a lot less than me). This steep hill that I was going down is very bumpy with obstacles that you must steer around. This I believe takes more braking power to remain in control. If I'm going down a very steep hill that is smooth, I have less of a problem (but it's still not great, at my 175-pound weight).

21 minutes ago, Esper said:

I think we're getting a little off subject here. This is a post about selling a wheel.

Hey, we're still talking about EUCs though :whistling:

6 hours ago, Esper said:

You are right, this is a post about selling a wheel, and as you have read the contents entirely (not only the title) you may have understood that Klin asks for advice on whether he should sell one (or even both?) of his other wheels, if his new Z10 can replace their performance features. Let’s read that below once again together, since I am not a native English speaker and might have misunderstood the point:

On 9/12/2018 at 2:50 AM, Klin said:

On 9/12/2018 at 2:50 AM, Klin said:

So if Marty and I haven’t misunderstood Klin‘s question, are we then getting off subject, when discussing the specific performance features of these three wheels? My purpose here was to give Klin all necessary information to make an informed decision and that includes the downhill performance of the Z that raised doubts earlier with some riders, but not with others. In my experience as a flyweight rider of all these three wheels the Z shows the same downhill performance as the other two wheels, so if I wouldn’t need/want some back up wheels (same as Marty) for friends and guests and newbies, I would sell the Tesla and if I wouldnt need the range I would also sell the MSuper V3s+. It was the off-road downhill performance we were discussing here and how can this be OFF SUBJECT for Klin‘s decision process?!!

On 9/12/2018 at 3:58 AM, Marty Backe said:

would gladly exchange my Tesla for the Z10. At least as it stands now, I get more joy from the Z10

... and the MSuper V3s+ (I may add). So IMHO there is only the range issue left for the 2nd best decision making.

The best decision in our opinion is: 

IF

On 9/12/2018 at 3:58 AM, Marty Backe said:

money is not a driving force, I'd keep all three wheels

YES! Me too. (I too????) English can be so tricky ... ? 

@Klin

I subscribe to the theory that if I don't feel like I'm riding a wheel enough, it has to go, no matter how much I like it (same for my clothes, sneakers, etc.), especially considering all the new model EUC's that come out every 6 months. Ideally, I personally aim to keep 4 wheels, 2 bigs & 2 compact/travel size (redundancy for each).

I won't tell you which to sell (you have to decide this for yourself based on your riding / wheel choosing habits), but here are some considerations I usually make that might not have been mentioned here:

• Your MSV3s+ is the oldest wheel. Many are starting to let their MSV3's go because they've upgraded to the MSX, and this will probably keep pushing down the price of used MSV3's cheaper and cheaper, less resale value the more you wait.
  • The Tesla is bound to be one of the next wheels in the Gotway cycle to be upgraded, seeing as how the MCM5 is basically almost the same design, just adding a motor disengage button, thicker 24mm axle (Tesla is still 21mm I believe; MSV3s+ should be 21mm [edit: non-2kW nom] as well if I'm remembering right), higher pedals (I think), and a more secure side shell fitting. 
  • Being a wider tire, the MSV3s+ has more overlap in use case with the Z10 than the thinner tire Tesla IMHO.
  • MSV3s+ still suffers from the Gotway loosening shims over time issue. Not sure about the Tesla (also the lighter 16" Tesla will be less prone to loosening shims anyways).
  • The MSV3 design will reach end-of-life soon, as the design mold is reaching about 2 years old now, which is usually when the typical EUC company invests in a redesign. This means it will gradually get harder and harder to source replacement parts, as it will no longer make economical sense to keep supporting a product Gotway no longer makes.

49 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Klin

I subscribe to the theory that if I don't feel like I'm riding a wheel enough, it has to go, no matter how much I like it (same for my clothes, sneakers, etc.), especially considering all the new model EUC's that come out every 6 months. Ideally, I personally aim to keep 4 wheels, 2 bigs & 2 compact/travel size (redundancy for each).

I won't tell you which to sell (you have to decide this for yourself based on your riding / wheel choosing habits), but here are some considerations I usually make that might not have been mentioned here:

• Your MSV3s+ is the oldest wheel. Many are starting to let their MSV3's go because they've upgraded to the MSX, and this will probably keep pushing down the price of used MSV3's cheaper and cheaper, less resale value the more you wait.
  • The Tesla is bound to be one of the next wheels in the Gotway cycle to be upgraded, seeing as how the MCM5 is basically almost the same design, just adding a motor disengage button, thicker 24mm axle (Tesla is still 21mm I believe; MSV3s+ should be 21mm as well if I'm remembering right), higher pedals (I think), and a more secure side shell fitting. 
  • Being a wider tire, the MSV3s+ has more overlap in use case with the Z10 than the thinner tire Tesla IMHO.
  • MSV3s+ still suffers from the Gotway loosening shims over time issue. Not sure about the Tesla (also the lighter 16" Tesla will be less prone to loosening shims anyways).
  • The MSV3 design will reach end-of-life soon, as the design mold is reaching about 2 years old now, which is usually when the typical EUC company invests in a redesign. This means it will gradually get harder and harder to source replacement parts, as it will no longer make economical sense to keep supporting a product Gotway no longer makes.

Small but important correction. All of the newer 2000w motors from Gotway, including the Tesla, have the same axle as the Monster - 24mm. I actually think that the Tesla, ACM2, new MSuper V3s+, MSX, and Monster all share the identical motor. They certainly all use the same axle.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Small but important correction. All of the newer 2000w motors from Gotway, including the Tesla, have the same axle as the Monster - 24mm. I actually think that the Tesla, ACM2, new MSuper V3s+, MSX, and Monster all share the identical motor. They certainly all use the same axle.

Ah, good to know!

Damn the nonsensical Gotway naming convention, I was specifically referring to @Klin's MSV3s+. 

Have we agreed to call the new 2kW nom MSuperV3 "MSuperV3s+" as well, same as the older 1500W nom version? Super-confusing! It would be much clearer if we referred to the 2kW nom MSuperV3 as something like "2018 MSuperV3" or similar IMHO.

3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Ah, good to know!

Damn the nonsensical Gotway naming convention, I was specifically referring to @Klin's MSV3s+. 

Have we agreed to call the new 2kW nom MSuperV3 "MSuperV3s+" as well, same as the older 1500W nom version? Super-confusing! It would be much clearer if we referred to the 2kW nom MSuperV3 as something like "2018 MSuperV3" or similar IMHO.

Yeah, I don't know what to call the different V3s+'s. The term I've seen the most is the "Teslerized MSuper V3s+".  Gotway themselves, the best I can tell, never renamed it like they did the ACM (ACM -> ACM2).

The only way that you can tell the ACM2 from ACM is by looking at the LED headlamp bezel. Otherwise you have to open the wheel and then you'll see the control board actually has ACM2 printed on it.

The new MSuper V3s+ also has the new LED headlamp and bezel, but otherwise is identical. I wonder if the new MSuper V3s+ has a unique identifier on its control board?

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I don't know what to call the different V3s+'s. The term I've seen the most is the "Teslerized MSuper V3s+".  Gotway themselves, the best I can tell, never renamed it like they did the ACM (ACM -> ACM2).

The only way that you can tell the ACM2 from ACM is by looking at the LED headlamp bezel. Otherwise you have to open the wheel and then you'll see the control board actually has ACM2 printed on it.

The new MSuper V3s+ also has the new LED headlamp and bezel, but otherwise is identical. I wonder if the new MSuper V3s+ has a unique identifier on its control board?

Hmmmm.... this doesn't bode well for the inevitable MSX spec upgrade.... MSX2s+(?):ph34r:

On 9/11/2018 at 12:45 PM, Marty Backe said:

This post was about the Tesla and the Z10.

I still think the ACM2 is my favorite all-around wheel, but I must say that I'm enjoying the Z10 the most at the moment.

I’ve been looking for an upgrade from my V8. The acmV2 is a top contender to me but seems to be a grossly overlooked wheel. 

Lol, Guys. I only said that because the focus on this is about the OP's decision and not Marty's review. I understand that they are in line with each other which is why I said "little"
Like talking about his ACM and stuffs earlier. :D  Carry on guys. No issues here.

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2018 at 1:50 PM, Klin said:

Hello All,

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Buying a Z10 to replace a Tesl? Might not be a good idea. But don’t let me stop you. I own a Tesla and got a chance to ride the Tesla during the KS18XL demo. I can’t recommend the Z10 to anyone (unless they are a seasoned rider + advanced). In my short experience the learning curve will be steep if you plan on riding it like the Tesla, which allows for more maneuverability at high speeds. So in short don’t see your Tesla for the Z10. You’e better off just buying the Z10 in addition to your other two wheels. 

5 hours ago, Jediah Matthew said:

Buying a Z10 to replace a Tesl? Might not be a good idea. But don’t let me stop you. I own a Tesla and got a chance to ride the Tesla during the KS18XL demo. I can’t recommend the Z10 to anyone (unless they are a seasoned rider + advanced). In my short experience the learning curve will be steep if you plan on riding it like the Tesla, which allows for more maneuverability at high speeds. So in short don’t see your Tesla for the Z10. You’e better off just buying the Z10 in addition to your other two wheels. 

Thanks for your input and I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying. I ended up selling the MSuperV3S+ to a friend who actually swapped the batteries into a battery-less MsuperX (recommended by @Marty Backe and @Jason McNeil).

The Z10 is really in a class of it's own. It felt really weird the first day I started riding it but I adjusted pretty quickly. It has a very stable ride and is a refined high quality wheel. To be honest I haven't really ridden my Tesla at all since I recieved my Z10. The stability of the tire is amazing. I can hit bumps on this thing at speeds that I cannot on the Tesla. 

However I kept the Tesla because of several reasons. It's alot more nimble and squirrely. I can carve really hard and do fast maneuvers on this thing that I can't with the Z10. I also have the fast charger from eWheels so it charges way faster than the Z10. It's a great backup wheel and definitely has its perks over the Z10.

Both wheels have a completely different ride feeling so I found myself having to adjust and getting used to the ride feeling when switching between wheels.

1 hour ago, Klin said:

Thanks for your input and I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying. I ended up selling the MSuperV3S+ to a friend who actually swapped the batteries into a battery-less MsuperX (recommended by @Marty Backe and @Jason McNeil).

The Z10 is really in a class of it's own. It felt really weird the first day I started riding it but I adjusted pretty quickly. It has a very stable ride and is a refined high quality wheel. To be honest I haven't really ridden my Tesla at all since I recieved my Z10. The stability of the tire is amazing. I can hit bumps on this thing at speeds that I cannot on the Tesla. 

However I kept the Tesla because of several reasons. It's alot more nimble and squirrely. I can carve really hard and do fast maneuvers on this thing that I can't with the Z10. I also have the fast charger from eWheels so it charges way faster than the Z10. It's a great backup wheel and definitely has its perks over the Z10.

Both wheels have a completely different ride feeling so I found myself having to adjust and getting used to the ride feeling when switching between wheels.

Glad you're enjoying the Z10. Maybe you can enjoy another ride with it up to the top of Mt Wilson some day :)

I do find myself grabbing the Z10 a lot even though I have many wheels to choose from.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Glad you're enjoying the Z10. Maybe you can enjoy another ride with it up to the top of Mt Wilson some day :)

I do find myself grabbing the Z10 a lot even though I have many wheels to choose from.

Yes, it might not have the fastest speed or the farthest range but it is indeed still my favorite wheel out of all the wheels out right now, though I have yet to ride the KS-18L/XL.

I ride with a small group of friends almost daily. They ride the V10F, MSuperX, and some other wheels. I can safely say after swapping wheels and test riding most of them, I also find myself going back to my Z10 every time.

I'd be down to ride up Mt. Wilson again. I came back down extremely dusty on our last ride though. I still haven't cleaned those shoes yet LOL. Also, the ride down on the heavy MSuperV3 murdered my knees. I'm also still baby-ing my Z10, it's pretty much still in pristine condition even though I probably have over 150 miles on it by now. I've been avoiding off-road paths because I have this subconscious desire to keep the wheel clean and in mint condition. It's just too beautiful. :wub: 

Archived