Hit by speeding car on Z10

On 11/26/2018 at 11:46 AM, EUCMania said:

I think if we have a red/blue rotating light on top of of helmet, then drivers can see us from any angle. The red/blue flashing light certainly alarms drivers. I searched on Amazon but could not find one. Any ideas?

Like this?

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Joker10 said:

Wow Daniel, glad you were wearing your gear.  Hope your legs heal fast.  You can ride the e+ till your z10 is replaced.

He hasn't been to the Forum since early October. He probably quit riding.

FYI, I used to work with several different law enforcement agents (city, state and federal) [I am not and never was an officer], they said most cities and federal jurisdictions have laws describing what constitutes "impersonating a law officer", where forward facing or rotating blue lights on a vehicle or bicycle, even just two single small blue LEDs can meet this threshold. Beware!   

11 hours ago, Michael Hernandez said:

most cities and federal jurisdictions have laws describing what constitutes "impersonating a law officer", where forward facing or rotating blue lights on a vehicle or bicycle, even just two single small blue LEDs can meet this threshold. Beware!   

These are two separate things. Using California as an example, it's CA penal code 538d that pertains to impersonating a peace officer, and vehicle code 25250 (and related sections) that state what flashing or colored lights are permissible on which vehicles. (Note CVC 25258 states blue lights facing in any direction are not legal.)

However all of this is irrelevant--unless your state has defined an EUC as a vehicle (or otherwise has laws in place to regulate lights on personal mobility devices) then the restrictions regarding lights don't apply.

3 hours ago, Elder Meat said:

These are two separate things. Using California as an example, it's CA penal code 538d that pertains to impersonating a peace officer, and vehicle code 25250 (and related sections) that state what flashing or colored lights are permissible on which vehicles. (Note CVC 25258 states blue lights facing in any direction are not legal.)

However all of this is irrelevant--unless your state has defined an EUC as a vehicle (or otherwise has laws in place to regulate lights on personal mobility devices) then the restrictions regarding lights don't apply.

That's all well and good, but why not just use a yellow light like most service vehicles? Tow Trucks, large Flatbed trucks, etc. People notice and move for them just as often.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:46 PM, Marty Backe said:

He hasn't been to the Forum since early October. He probably quit riding.

The Z10 was not broken. After about a month, the support bracket became so worn down from the scraping that I was able to buy a replacement bracket and pedal from @Jason McNeil. It ran fine for about a day, and then I got the shaking malfunction. I had not tighened the bracket hard enough. Last night I cranked it down extra hard. I am not experiancing any of those issues at the moment. Hope it doesn't loosen again.

I am still working with insurance for medical issues. They paid for the cost of the Z10, but I was able to replace most the parts to make it rideable again for much less. I have since started wearing a reflective flashing light vest if I ride after dark. I have continued riding, but due to the holidays and rain and cold weather, I have not been out as much.

Thanks for the support.

-Daniel

6 minutes ago, Daniel Burkemper said:

The Z10 was not broken. After about a month, the support bracket became so worn down from the scraping that I was able to buy a replacement bracket and pedal from @Jason McNeil. It ran fine for about a day, and then I got the shaking malfunction. I had not tighened the bracket hard enough. Last night I cranked it down extra hard. I am not experiancing any of those issues at the moment. Hope it doesn't loosen again.

I am still working with insurance for medical issues. They paid for the cost of the Z10, but I was able to replace most the parts to make it rideable again for much less. I have since started wearing a reflective flashing light vest if I ride after dark. I have continued riding, but due to the holidays and rain and cold weather, I have not been out as much.

Thanks for the support.

-Daniel

Thanks for stopping by to provide an update. Glad that things are basically back to normal.

Hey, don't know if you saw any of the previous comments and questions. In particular I had asked if the muzzle on the Scorpion provided any protection. I have that same helmet and have always thought that at the speeds we travel, the muzzle would still offer some protection. I don't really know, thus the question to you. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for stopping by to provide an update. Glad that things are basically back to normal.

Hey, don't know if you saw any of the previous comments and questions. In particular I had asked if the muzzle on the Scorpion provided any protection. I have that same helmet and have always thought that at the speeds we travel, the muzzle would still offer some protection. I don't really know, thus the question to you. Thanks.

I thought I had answered that in a PM. That is the same reasoning I went with the soft muzzle as opposed to the full face helm. Sub-30mph is a lot less likely to screw you up than 60mph+ on a motorcycle. I feel much more secure with the muzzle as opposed to not having it. At the very least, it would provide excellent protection against road rash, but a direct impact could still cause injury.

I found scrapes on mine after the crash, but no damage to my face, so I am glad it was there, or else I might still have scars. I have crashed on my face on my E+ and still have scars on my chin. Not great, especially for facial hair.

16 minutes ago, Daniel Burkemper said:

I thought I had answered that in a PM. That is the same reasoning I went with the soft muzzle as opposed to the full face helm. Sub-30mph is a lot less likely to screw you up than 60mph+ on a motorcycle. I feel much more secure with the muzzle as opposed to not having it. At the very least, it would provide excellent protection against road rash, but a direct impact could still cause injury.

I found scrapes on mine after the crash, but no damage to my face, so I am glad it was there, or else I might still have scars. I have crashed on my face on my E+ and still have scars on my chin. Not great, especially for facial hair.

Hey thanks. You know, I just found your PM :facepalm:  Ug, somehow I forgot that we 'talked'. Could I post your helmet picture here? I like showing people how effective our safety gear is at protecting us.

Archived