BMS for Ninebot es1/2?

ohv_

Hoping someone might be able to chime in on what Ninebot/Segway uses for the BMS.
I have a es1 with the dual battery setup however I would like to add extra power for range. 

via craigslist i bought two broken es1 and the battery packs look fine, voltage was putting out 35 on both packs however the 4pin which i thought was balancing leads dont put out anything on the multi-meter. Off the top of my head I was thinking just pop them in parallel and somehow disable regen but... since I dont know the BMS or how to tap into it i held off.

open to ideas =)

thanks!

34 minutes ago, ohv_ said:

putting out 35 on both packs however the 4pin which i thought was balancing leads dont put out anything on the multi-meter. Off the top of my head I was thinking just pop them in parallel and somehow disable regen but... since I dont know the BMS or how to tap into it i held off.

I’m not sure if anyone on this forum will have an intimate knowledge of these batteries but there are some general rules that might apply.

it is a 10 cell battery so if it was balancing leads there would be 11 wires one for each cell plus return. I don’t know that battery but if they are 4 small wires they are possibly signalling of some sort to the control board, perhaps giving the state of charge? it may or may not be possible to connect those wires in parallel as if they do send data rather than just a voltage condition they may may clash? Pretty much all batteries with built in BMS have an input (charging) connection and an output (power out) connection. Parallel batteries would usually parallel the inputs together and output together.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES EVER CONNECT TWO BATTERIES TOGETHER IN PARALLEL UNLESS THEY ARE AT EXACTLY THE SAME VOLTAGE OR HUGE DAMAGING CURRENTS MAY PASS BETWEEN THE TWO. Having said that these are designed to have a clip on external battery that, presumably has been idiot proofed so it should be possible to connect them in any state of charge, but that same protection may not exist on the primary battery.

i cannot see what regen has to do with anything? That will feedback through the power wires and the BMS itself should prevent over charging. Disabling it would be likely to be both difficult and unnecessary.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I mentioned the regen simply because I don't know how it really works and since I cant tap into the BMS I wouldn't want to damage the battery =)

I forgot to snap a photo of the battery leads and 4pin and the BMS board maybe someone might have some ideas.

• 2 months later...

Well you can connect the secondary battery and it will regenerate but not recommended , the reverse charge wiring is poorly designed

if you want to see what's inside www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIrQ9cfJh1k&t=153s

you just need to connect the power wires in PARALLEL and it will draw power just fine for a few months. but will eventually be out of sync and you

will need to charge each battery separately.

Edited by ionbrain
updated the link

• 5 months later...

A bit of a tangent, but does anyone know how to “activate the external battery’s BMS”? I added Segway’s 187wh external battery and I get an error code 44 whenever I turn the scooter on. It tells me that I need to activate the battery’s BMS because it has the “default s/n”. Ideas?

On 5/15/2019 at 4:33 AM, Kendall-es2 said:

A bit of a tangent, but does anyone know how to “activate the external battery’s BMS”? I added Segway’s 187wh external battery and I get an error code 44 whenever I turn the scooter on. It tells me that I need to activate the battery’s BMS because it has the “default s/n”. Ideas?

This is because the battery was not part of the initial setup, the BMS is not communicating with controller the same was as the internal BMS is

you will need to simple reset and firmware update or a full reset and firmware update.

try the simple one first, connect the external battery , have mobile app running and ready to connect

press electric brake and electric throttle to the max and press the power bottom at the same time,

then turn off the unit then back on and wait till blinking pattern changes (15 seconds usually)

then turn off

then turn back on and immediately connect with bluetooth app and quickly go to firmware update (you should know where this is in the app ahead of time) 

and do the firmware update. It will know the external BMS does not match the internal BMS and do a FW update.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:33 PM, Kendall-es2 said:

Got quite a similar problem. Everything was working fine until I decided it was a good idea to take out all the cells of the external battery and put them in the deck underneath your feet.. needless to say it wasn't as smooth of a ride because here I am scouring the internet left, right and center for potential solutions for an error 42.

When I was ready to disconnect all the balancing leads on the BMS I pushed the tiny button on the BMS to switch it off. It switched off alright but unfortunately I might have reset the FW on it too. So now I get the error 42 every time I hook up the external battery. 

On 5/17/2019 at 12:16 AM, ionbrain said:

This is because the battery was not part of the initial setup, the BMS is not communicating with controller the same was as the internal BMS is

you will need to simple reset and firmware update or a full reset and firmware update.

try the simple one first, connect the external battery , have mobile app running and ready to connect

press electric brake and electric throttle to the max and press the power bottom at the same time,

then turn off the unit then back on and wait till blinking pattern changes (15 seconds usually)

then turn off

then turn back on and immediately connect with bluetooth app and quickly go to firmware update (you should know where this is in the app ahead of time) 

and do the firmware update. It will know the external BMS does not match the internal BMS and do a FW update.

I will most definitely give this a try since it sounds quite promising! 

If anyone has any question about hooking up extra batteries or anything else related to the subject I will happily help since I know quite a bit about the hardware side of things, just don't get the software haha :)   

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, the app will work to upgrade the BMS.

You will need to disconnect the battery from controller and then reconnect power,

which enable the bluetooth to start over and then use the phone app to connect within the first 15 seconds 

and then do the upgrade