KS-18L: Bigger Batteries?

The Fat Unicyclist

I need to ask a question of the local (New Zealand) EUC community, but as that is a rather small group I thought it would be useful to get feedback from the wider forum;

If you weren't quite decided about the King Song 18L, but I told you that there would be limited release of a 1600 Wh version (well technically 1554 Wh)… And that it would also be available in time to be a Christmas stocking stuffer...

Would that change your level of interest in the 18L?

Or possibly alter how you ranked it against the other "new arrivals"?

HOLY **** THE "18XL" IS REAL:w00t2:KS going for bigger batteries?

For me, I'd never buy a 1000Wh only main wheel, so the answer is clear. But would it be a Gotway or a 18XL? Depends on how it looks and its shape. Making the 18L wider might not work out too well, I can't quite picture how more battery would be done.

Maybe you should edit your title and ask existing 18L riders whether they would regret not getting the bigger battery version if that were available.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

For me, I'd never buy a 1000Wh only main wheel, so the answer is clear. But would it be a Gotway or a 18XL? Depends on how it looks and its shape. Making the 18L wider might not work out too well, I can't quite picture how more battery would be done. 

Maybe you should edit your title and ask existing 18L riders whether they would regret not getting the bigger battery version if that were available.

Thanks Meeps - I have tweaked the topic a little.

As for the looks... Would you be happy if it was completely identical? Just with an extra 518 Wh stuffed (somewhere) inside the current unit!   :blink1:

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

As for the looks... Would you be happy if it was completely identical? Just with an extra 518 Wh stuffed (somewhere) inside the current unit!   :blink1:

Realistically, I'm a Gotway person, but same shell would be great! I'm sure a lot of Kingsong fans and  people who dislike GW wheels (for whatever reasons, looks, QC, ...) wouldn't mind being able to keep up with their range. For example Marty's Mt. Wilson ride juuuuust works with 1000Wh wheels, but any longer route would be Gotway only.

1 hour ago, Action said:

How much $$$$ do you think it will add ?

Thanks

I honestly have no idea what the additional cost would be in the US... That would be a question to ask @Jason McNeil.

But here in New Zealand I am guessing it might possibly be an additional $300-400 NZD.

On 9/7/2018 at 12:29 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks Meeps - I have tweaked the topic a little.

As a main wheel, I don't need 1600wh. I am thoroughly enjoying my current 18L as a main wheel. I love the sleek design and the way the current 18L feels, manuevers, speeds; it's crazy sweet.

If 1600wh significantly changed those Dynamics in the wrong direction because of extra weight and/or top-heavy battery position I would stay put with the current wheel as my main; I value the current wheel's Dynamics much more than I value 10 extra miles of range.

Nevertheless, If I was considering a new wheel purchase and could have more range with minimal change to design, weight, performance, etc I would go for it; not because I need it, but because I could.

In fact, I have been considering an additional wheel because my son's ride our current wheels more often than me. I was thinking about buying an MSX as my exclusive "Dad's wheel, hands off" chariot just for the sake of having a brand besides my three Kingsong wheels in the house, and also the fact that the MSX, because of it's range advantage is the only other wheel to which I gave even cursory consideration when I bought the 18L.

However, The availability of a KS18XL on the market with minimal design and performance penalty for the extra range would instantly kill that vain contemplation; there would immediately be no other wheel besides the 18XL that I would even remotely consider for purchase.

On 9/7/2018 at 2:57 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm sure a lot of Kingsong fans and  people who dislike GW wheels (for whatever reasons, looks, QC, ...) wouldn't mind being able to keep up with their range. For example Marty's Mt. Wilson ride juuuuust works with 1000Wh wheels, but any longer route would be Gotway only

It would be great to have Gotway range on a 18L........if..........it did not substantially change the magnificent properties of the current setup. The 18L is a dynamically performing and beautifully designed wheel package. If it must sacrifice performance and beauty to have more range then the range would not be worth it in my opinion. 

On 9/9/2018 at 8:55 PM, Lutalo said:

As a main wheel, I don't need 1600wh. I am thoroughly enjoying my current 18L as a main wheel. I love the sleek design and the way the current 18L feels, manuevers, speeds; it's crazy sweet.

If 1600wh significantly changed those Dynamics in the wrong direction because of extra weight and/or top-heavy battery position I would stay put with the current wheel as my main; I value the current wheel's Dynamics much more than I value 10 extra miles of range.

Nevertheless, If I was considering a new wheel purchase and could have more range with minimal change to design, weight, performance, etc I would go for it; not because I need it, but because I could.

In fact, I have been considering an additional wheel because my son's ride our current wheels more often than me. I was thinking about buying an MSX as my exclusive "Dad's wheel, hands off" chariot just for the sake of having a brand besides my three Kingsong wheels in the house, and also the fact that the MSX, because of it's range advantage is the only other wheel to which I gave even cursory consideration when I bought the 18L.

However, The availability of a KS18XL on the market with minimal design and performance penalty for the extra range would instantly kill that vain contemplation; there would immediately be no other wheel besides the 18XL that I would even remotely consider for purchase.

well said! hear hear!

3 hours ago, joku said:

LOL @Lutalo 18L is the best 18" wheel! But for some reason, most attention is given to the MSX and Z10 - go figure.

Most attention by whom? Where are your numbers? Where is your data to back up the claim that outside of the Ninebot or Gotway brand threads that "most attention is given to the MSX and Z10 - go figure."

Furthermore,  I doubt very seriously that you actually quoted me presenting as fact that the 18L is the best wheel; that would be an opinion. So, as Obama would say - let me be clear. 

Fact: The 18L is my favorite 18" wheel.  

Opinion: Based on what I personally value in a wheel, I think it is the best 18" wheel on the market right now. The numerical quantity or percentage of other people talking about other wheels has absolutely no bearing on my personal opinion; my assessments are based upon what I value; not others. 

If you have a different opinion, you won't find me attempting to project my personal insecurities upon you by attempting to attack, diminish  or change your opinion by superimposing my personal tastes or preferences supported with baseless claims or irrelevant information.  

I consider such cowardly tactics beneath me, and representative of the uncivilized promotion of the practice of stupidity. 

So, @joku whatever you like, and for whatever reason you like it - You do you.

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

Opinion: Based on what I personally value in a wheel, I think it is the best 18" wheel on the market right now. The numerical quantity or percentage of other people talking about other wheels has absolutely no bearing on my personal opinion; my assessments are based upon what I value; not others. 

If you have a different opinion, you won't find me attempting to project my personal insecurities upon you by attempting to attack, diminish  or change your opinion by superimposing my personal tastes or preferences supported with baseless claims or irrelevant information.  

The above statements are a breath of fresh air.  For the highlighted bold component of the first paragraph - it is as it should be. As for the bold second paragraph - I hope it to be true.:cheers:

26 minutes ago, Jerome said:

The above statements are a breath of fresh air.  For the highlighted bold component of the first paragraph - it is as it should be. As for the bold second paragraph - I hope it to be true.:cheers:

LOL! That would create bad karma. When I feel tempted to Flame someone's self esteem for the sake of self-aggrandizement, I try to remember the African proverb: "The Axé forgets, but the tree remembers."?

13 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Most attention by whom? Where are your numbers? Where is your data to back up the claim that outside of the Ninebot or Gotway brand threads that "most attention is given to the MSX and Z10 - go figure."

Furthermore,  I doubt very seriously that you actually quoted me presenting as fact that the 18L is the best wheel; that would be an opinion. So, as Obama would say - let me be clear. 

I consider such cowardly tactics beneath me, and representative of the uncivilized promotion of the practice of stupidity. 

So, @joku whatever you like, and for whatever reason you like it - You do you.

Hahaha! You misunderstood me! I actually think the 18L is the best 18" wheel! 

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

HOLY **** THE "18XL" IS REAL:w00t2:KS going for bigger batteries?

Yip...actually the 1600wh 18XL is getting real....(1554wh to be correct, as KS is naming the real numbers ;-) )

To my Information...orders are now collected...Wheel gets produced and should be Ready for sending out end October!

Actually allready the 18L is -from what i have got in numbers- a very low consumption Wheel compared to other 84V wheels.

Whe had a 105kg rider here which achieved 82km with having 2% battery left, and he was going 30-40kmh mostly…...

Duf made a bit over 30miles from 100-45%...also not bad :-) 

22 minutes ago, US69 said:

Yip...actually the 1600wh 18XL is getting real....(1554wh to be correct, as KS is naming the real numbers ;-) )

To my Information...orders are now collected...Wheel gets produced and should be Ready for sending out end October!

Actually allready the 18L is -from what i have got in numbers- a very low consumption Wheel compared to other 84V wheels.

Whe had a 105kg rider here which achieved 82km with having 2% battery left, and he was going 30-40kmh mostly…...

So, Ulf. As Obama would say: Let me be clear. I can actually place an order for this wheel?

1 hour ago, joku said:

Hahaha! You misunderstood me! I actually think the 18L is the best 18" wheel! 

@Lutalo totally thought this might be the case lol!!!

It's that one thing where we can't tell tone from writing LOL.

Love the African proverb though

36 minutes ago, Siggy said:

@Lutalo totally thought this might be the case lol!!!

It's that one thing where we can't tell tone from writing LOL.

Love the African proverb though

Yeah. Even though writing is a form of communication, sometimes the the nuance - the most important stuff gets lost in translation.  

On 9/11/2018 at 9:46 AM, US69 said:

Watch Duf's video completely and carefully, the wind changed his round-trip efficiency greatly and he acknowledges that the wheel's range is on par with everyone else...about 40 miles max.

Also, if the KS18XL is real I will buy immediately, no questions asked. I own an KS18L and its amazing! I wonder if a battery upgrade could be available to existing KS18L owners.

Archived