zoom stryder (vs KS14 and KS18)

mark321

This review is probably bordering on "off topic" since it's a review of a scooter not an EUC, but I'm including a little comparison vs my old KS14 and current KS18 so I figured it might be okay.

Anyway I had been wanting something small and light for short distance rides, as carrying my 45# KS18 around can be a chore. At 25# I expected the scooter to be super easy to carry around. The other reason I picked the zoom stryder is its solid rubber wheels: I wanted an electric vehicle that would never have a flat.

Unfortunately overall my experience is that the scooter doesn't remotely compare up to the EUCs. I don't want to be all negative, so I'll start with its good features, as there are a number of things it does well:
* its rubber tires and suspension are great : at 16-18mph or so the handling is very road worthy even on bad roads -- at this speed I don't see any reason for pneumatic tires, the advantage of never having flats is easily worth having the ride not be as smooth as it could have been with air filled tires. The size and width of the tires, and the way the suspension works are all very well done
* at 25# it's decently light for an electric vehicle with 15-20mi range (I haven't carefully tracked what real world range I can get)
* the handlebars fold down nicely, some of the smaller scooters don't fold as completely and leave the handlebars sticking out to the sides, I appreciate that this one folds about as small as is possible

Aside from the above, I have lots of criticism for virtually everything else about the scooter:
* the throttle control is nonexistent, it's basically just on/off : no matter how carefully I press the throttle it just surges forward, the lever has a significant amount of physical range, but none of it is used. Hopefully this isn't too hard to describe, but the first 50% of the throttle does nothing, the next 25% is the only "control" available, and the last 25% is indistinguishable from the "75%" point. That's really just a long winded way of saying in practical terms it might as well be a throttle "on/off" switch. This one giant flaw ruins the riding experience, especially as someone used to the precise speed control of an EUC
* the brakes are equally jerky : mo matter how carefully I press the brake it throws me forward
* very low power compared to any EUC : the acceleration is puny, the only thing that keeps the jerks and jolts from the throttle/brake from being unbearable is the fact that it's so low in power the jolts aren't that powerful. It struggles up modest hills. I'm really spoiled by the EUCs, vastly vastly vastly more powerful
* needs a better latch controlling the fold : there's a weird foot-button you have to step on while simultaneously pushing the handlebars forward to be able to fold the scooter, it's very awkward and error prone
* on/off button came loose : this one is hard to describe without a picture, but the way the buttons are constructed is there are holes with a piece of rubber that sticks out of the hole. At some point I must have brushed my hand sideways across the power button, and the rubber piece popped out. I was able to get it back in but I'm now always concerned about how delicate the on/off button is
* at 25# it's still not super light : I was really surprised that 25# wasn't as fantastically light as I expected. I'm used to carrying a 45# EUC up and down the stairs, but I think maybe the shape of an EUC makes it more manageable for a given weight. Even though it has a nice fold, I still find its size and bulk a bit unwieldy. I think a 35# KS14 equals or beats it in terms of carrying and stashing it when not riding

The conclusion is that I never ever ride the scooter. Now no matter how short the ride is I just carry my heavy KS18 because it's so much better of a ride.

I really appreciate the real world feedback! There aren't a lot of scooters that have dual suspension with the speed, range and relative weight comparable to the zoom so it is on my shortlist of mobile transportation devices.  I want an EUC but also want something with a low learning curve for my wife so we can cruise around together and I can borrow from time to time :)

Mine is the EX version. I figured a tiny bit of extra weight wouldn't hurt.

I really think if it weren't for the lack of throttle control I'd be willing to look past the other faults as being minor. It's a short distance light weight EV, so being kind of low in power is forgivable. And to be fair about the folding mechanism I don't have any quality complaints about the latch. It seems solid and works. I mainly just dislike the throttle.

I haven't ruled out scooters for future EV considerations, but I am a lot more skeptical now and will be more careful next time. I've alway thought the zboard was cool (an e-skateboard that doesn't need a hand controller). But I suspect if I really wanted to replace the scooter with some other small EV I'd pick one of the smaller EUCs at the moment.

• 1 month later...

I have been riding Ex version for couple of weeks now- the acceleration is smooth in eco mode and instant/linear/jerky in a turbo mode. I really think in Eco mode it is completely smooth to me though and it reaches the same top speed in both. When starting from zero it is very gentle, once you are at around 10mph it becomes stronger, but still smooth. Contrary my only issue is rigid ride and compared to a simple bike. Braking indeed is more instant and has less of the smoothness to it, after two weeks I am still mastering it but it is getting better. I agree that from the range both levers have they are not using half of it. I do feel that I am getting used to it's qurks fast enought to forgive that VS all the pros it has so far.

Thanks, I loaned mine out to a friend so haven't been using it, but I might see how it feels with eco mode. I like strong acceleration, just I want to be able to control it smoothly. I don't always want to ride at top speed also, and the speed control is hard to keep steady below the max. The cruise control is okay, but even holding the speed steady for the 5 seconds or whatever it takes to kick in is challenging

If you're after a super-light Dual-motor Scooter & price is no object, I have a pre-production QMY Swan scooter listed on eBay. It's  a really nice piece of kit, we were going to offer these to the line-up, but the Company signed an exclusivity deal with another entity,  now just trying to get back the original investment.   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192691890384

• 5 weeks later...
I have a zoom stryder for 2 months. It's a good scooter, light for its power and features (11kg for 500W motor and 280Wh battery) but it has a huge drawback: no support/warranty at all. My one came with a problem in the ESC (I cannot turn on the Turbo mode) and one month ago the rear light doesn't turn off, even with the scooter off. I had to disconnect the light cable to avoid battery drain.
I tried to contact the support several times, by email, web site form and online chat. No answer at all. After receiving your payment, they vanish. You are on your own and good luck. And I'm not the only one complaining about it.

Archived