Hey folks, need some advise.

Rootbeertapper

Hey everyone! Been doing a bit of study, but my use cases are kind of odd, so I wanted to ask a " which first ride " question but give my specific examples and reasons why I need what I need. 

First, about me.

Im in my 40's and have extreme allergies. This causes me to have breathong issues when outside. I use to take 2 hour a day walks with my wife and kids, but now have probelms doing so. Most of our time is spent on casual hikes with a lot of elevation shifts. I want to get a Euc to allow me to contiune being outside with my family. 

I would like to keep the cost as low as possible ( like everyone ) but will pony up for what I need to.

This is my need list in order.

1 - i need something that will be comfortable to ride at low speeds. My family walks and I need to move at 4-ish mph. 

2 - It can be rough to learn to ride, no worries. I used to snowboard and surf, I will fight through it to figure it out.

3 - I need it to be safe. Super stupid safe. A faceplant for someone with medical issues is not the same as someone without. I have to make the ride as safe as possible. I understand it cant be perfectly safe, but if money caan save me from harm, so be it.

4 - range is not really a issue. 2 hour walk is about our max.

5 - I wont be going fast on this thing. I dont care what the max speed is. I dont want the thrill or rush of going quick.

6 - I do need something that can do light trails. Not mountains, but hike.

7 - all of my parks are not super smooth. Not a nightmare, but cracks in the ground and small issues here and there.

8 - I wont be riding at night or on the road, so lights are not needed.

9 - I would be fine with gettig a smaller starting wheel and going into a larger one later. I know most people dont recommend this, but I would like tp have a extra one around anyway that the kids could ride on after I am done.

given my use conditions I think a 14" wheel is out, though I would love to be told otherwise. 

I have looked at a lot of wheels but was hoping to get some expert advise before I purchase anything.

thoughts?

I don't think it matters based on what I'm writing below, but you haven't told us how tall you are and your weight. Some people might want to know this information.

Seems to me that one of your overriding requirements is to easily ride at 4-mph. In my opinion there are only two wheels that are very easy to ride slowly; the Gotway Mten3 and the Ninebot Z10. The common denominator with both wheels is a fat tire relative to its diameter. Given your desire to also ride on trails, I would lean towards the Z10 because of its larger diameter wheel. I also think that the Z10 would be an easier wheel to learn. Unfortunately it's one of the most expensive wheels.

But really, at 4-mph the Mten3 would be pleasant enough on mellow trails. Unfortunately it may be one of the hardest wheels to learn on. You can't have it all :) 

The range of available wheels really opens up when you eliminate your 4-mph requirement. But given that, IMHO, you've reduced your choices to two. Some people may chime in here and say, "Common, you can ride <insert favorite wheel> slowly, no problem". But I will disagree. Do you want to enjoy the company of your family as you're riding slow, or do you want to be focusing on the wheel as you struggle to keep the slow pace of your family members? The Mten3 and Z10 are a joy to ride super slow. I know of no other wheels this can be said of. But maybe I'm wrong :confused1:

Good luck with your decision.

Might you not be better off with a (two-wheeled) Segway?

I’m no expert on them, so maybe there’s a glaring reason why not, but if you need to reduce your chances of a face-plant wouldn’t they be a better option for you?

i’m no expert and it’s early to have much of a track record, but i’m hoping the z10 will be the best for walking with Bob. the v10f with it’s fat 16” will be good too. the high pedals will help minimize what will probably cause u to crash and that’s rider error. 

http://www.seattleweekly.com/food/treating-your-allergies-with-weed/

38 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Given your desire to also ride on trails, I would lean towards the Z10 because of its larger diameter wheel. I also think that the Z10 would be an easier wheel to learn. Unfortunately it's one of the most expensive wheels.

Z6 ?

27 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Might you not be better off with a (two-wheeled) Segway?

I’m no expert on them, so maybe there’s a glaring reason why not, but if you need to reduce your chances of a face-plant wouldn’t they be a better option for you?

Good idea. The Segway is certainly easier to go slow with. But we want to encourage EUCs here <_<

A failure on a Segway will result in the same faceplant as a failure on an EUC. Any device that requires electronics to maintain balance is inherently unsafe relative to walking.

If avoiding a face plant is as high a priority as you say, how about a mountain bike?  Or an electric bike?  Any of them can give you exercise at a variable rate to include easy ... and are far safer than an EUC.  Even a regular unicycle rarely results in faceplants.  You're more likely to bang the heck out of your shins or fall in a way you can absorb if you wear some decent padding and a helmet.

The Z10 is the king of low speed! The fat tire gives amazing stability and maneuverability at low speed. It has the correct amount of power to handle an adult male with a heavy backpack. Lower pedal height and wide body stance make multiple stop-and-go riding effortless. Its heavy and stout, and makes the rider stand a bit wider. I find this stance and lower pedals with the fat tire very stable in windy conditions too. The Ninebot high build quality has no creaking or body flex like the Mten3. Its looks amazing and grown-up. I have been riding the Z10 for about 2 weeks. I also own Mten3. Both are VERY good at walking speed. That Mten3 is wild and a great stunt wheel. When I'm on the Mten3 kids love to point and say things, but when I'm on the Z10, adults point and say things!

Learning any EUC has a steep learning curve. Although I think the Z10 could be a stable wheel to learn on, its beauty would be smashed by a novice. Z10 has a nice handle, you could put a thick strap through it for stability when learning. I learned on a Ninebot One E+, because it was affordable and reliable, the right size on the leg to learn proper mounting techniques, and takes a very good beating. Don't be tempted by a cheap-o no-name wheel, they're dangerous and a waste of money. eBay and Ali-Express are hit-or-miss for both used or new. If your going to put down a lot of money and safety is important, trust only a reputable seller (ie. eWheels, SpeedyFeet, TecToyz).

F.Y.I. - No one has just one wheel, I own six now!

The Z10 is the wheel for you. Safe and really stable at low speeds + it can play ? music which is nice for family walks.

Another Option you might want to look into is a two wheeler like the Ninebot mini pro. But for hiking trails the Z Is the better choice.

4 hours ago, Rootbeertapper said:

Hey everyone! Been doing a bit of study, but my use cases are kind of odd, so I wanted to ask a " which first ride " question but give my specific examples and reasons why I need what I need. 

First, about me.

Im in my 40's and have extreme allergies. This causes me to have breathong issues when outside. I use to take 2 hour a day walks with my wife and kids, but now have probelms doing so. Most of our time is spent on casual hikes with a lot of elevation shifts. I want to get a Euc to allow me to contiune being outside with my family. 

I would like to keep the cost as low as possible ( like everyone ) but will pony up for what I need to.

This is my need list in order.

1 - i need something that will be comfortable to ride at low speeds. My family walks and I need to move at 4-ish mph.

A Onewheel+ allows you to mount and stand perfectly still, then creep foward, stop, backwards, stop and wait, etc.

2 - It can be rough to learn to ride, no worries. I used to snowboard and surf, I will fight through it to figure it out.

Action stance is very stable and used on these sports.

3 - I need it to be safe. Super stupid safe. A faceplant for someone with medical issues is not the same as someone without. I have to make the ride as safe as possible. I understand it cant be perfectly safe, but if money caan save me from harm, so be it.

4 - range is not really a issue. 2 hour walk is about our max.

Onewheel+ XR

5 - I wont be going fast on this thing. I dont care what the max speed is. I dont want the thrill or rush of going quick.

If you learn carefully, everytime with ~$200 of safety gear and calm realizations, slow speed errors can be run off without injury, rolling onto your shoulder and back rarely.

6 - I do need something that can do light trails. Not mountains, but hike.

7 - all of my parks are not super smooth. Not a nightmare, but cracks in the ground and small issues here and there.

no problem

8 - I wont be riding at night or on the road, so lights are not needed.

9 - I would be fine with gettig a smaller starting wheel and going into a larger one later. I know most people dont recommend this, but I would like tp have a extra one around anyway that the kids could ride on after I am done.

given my use conditions I think a 14" wheel is out, though I would love to be told otherwise. 

I have looked at a lot of wheels but was hoping to get some expert advise before I purchase anything.

thoughts?

EUC's are amazing sport machines, but with your list of needs, a new OW+XR is 18hundo, I think. Is that the US price for a Z10?.. not sure.

Best of luck with your adventure quest!

Root beer .....tastes sweet

But consider this

Would you want a 'slow power-off'  Gotway model (before the ACM2 production type) to go out of control near your family after you awkwardly dismount? After you encounter a bad rut or bump or after you clip a rock with the side of your pedals the shutdown type of the model you choose could make a difference in how your family feels about walking near you.

(00:55 and 01:07)

https://youtu.be/hvOg2AVZil8

Motors on EUCs can cause more than your self propulsion.

The two wheeled mountain bike might be safer and simpler.

We EUCers can't always look as nimble as @dismason as he glides along trails on his EUC..... side by side with other people.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/3596-the-photo-thread/?do=findComment&amp;comment=189354

I'm gonna go with MTen3 or a Ninebot Minipro because most people want something to go as FAST as possible, but you need something that is the opposite. It's the smallest wheel that will meet your requirements. The Z10 is over double it's weight and price. and won't do anymore for you. The minipro won't do well on trails with a lot of rocks, but if you are talking just dirt trails and small rocks, it will do fine with the hills too. The significant advantage is you don't have to get off when you stop. If you are with a group of walkers that stop and chat here and there, it can be annoying to get off all the time.

46 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

I read that safety is a concern, so I'm also wondering why you want an EUC.

Maybe consider some other options??

He writes he comes from snowboarding and surfing. So I can understand why he wants an EUC. This feeling of gliding freely over the surface is second to none. And if you love snow sports you will definitely love EUCs. With some practice and a non risk riding style, I consider the Z10 safe enough and a good choice to enter this neo-glide hobby. Riding an EUC re-defines the traditional sunday walk. The only problem with the Z will be, that (starting with the kids!) the whole family soon wants one too. And that can get expensive. ? 

I should add about the Z10 being excellent for low speed...best for around 10 or 12 mph. At 4mph and talking, any EUC is tedious. Think of coming to a redlight on a bicycle and trying to balance and time the light. It takes concentration and generally can only be kept up for a few seconds comfortably. Riding like that for an hour or two is not practical or fun.

I also own 2 Ninebot ES2 scooters, now those things are perfect for riding and talking next to someone. They're perfectly safe, mindless control, and comfortable for walking speed for extended periods, also good for kids. If your doing any dirt riding, air tires are best. Ego takes a hit though!!!:efee612b4b:

I would go with the Z10  because Marty makes me want one really really bad. 

33 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I don't see how an electric unicycle will cure you of your allergies. 

I am allergic to asphalt it gives me road rash. :D

17 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I don't see how an electric unicycle will cure you of your allergies. 

It might increase allergies compared to a car and its air-conditioning.

The Glide 3 (aka Inmotion v8) might do the trick too, and it happens to be much less expensive.  I'm about your weight and can ride the v8 slower than walking speed with near zero effort, including dirt and gravel paths.  The trick is to get the tire pressure just-right for your weight and terrain (soft enough so it's not skittish on the rocks).  If you have roots, ledges and steep inclines, however, you might be better off with bike or scooter setup. 

Another vote for a Mini Pro. While slow speed riding of an EUC can be fine it is more challenging. You can stop entirely on a mini pro if you want. I know we want to promote EUCs here but I honestly don't believe it is the best option for the OP. 

Archived