Broken handle on my 18L, my I have not break it.

ricqvo

Hello guys... 550km on my 18L and one day I woke up, I tried to pick my wheel up and one side of the handle moved out from its place... The other one is ok, but this one on the vid just do not stay where it should... So the handle is weak and unusable at all... I did not crash or anything... It just happened one morning... :(

Thanks guys for every comment...

7 hours ago, ricqvo said:

Hello guys... 550km on my 18L and one day I woke up, I tried to pick my wheel up and one side of the handle moved out from its place... The other one is ok, but this one on the vid just do not stay where it should... So the handle is weak and unusable at all... I did not crash or anything... It just happened one morning... :(

Thanks guys for every comment...

A lot of the first batch wheels had this problem - including my wheel. I received my wheel late July- early August. I had my wheel exactly two days before this problem surfaced. I let my dealer know, and today I received my new trolley handles in the mail. I plan on swapping them out this weekend. The wheel trolleys just fine with the broken handle you just can't use it to lift the wheel. On the rare occasions I have to lift it I grasp it under the foot pedals.

My KS16S had the same problem whereby only one side locks, and so did my friend's.

Opening up the wheel shows dirt in the back slider/latch. Cleaning out the dirt restores the functionality of the trolley. Therefore I doubt replacing the trolley will help, because it's the wheel kicking up the dirt into the slider and latch.

Kingsong puts black tape inside the wheel well yet the dirt mysteriously gets inside the wheel so...

<shrug>

Maybe entirely sealing the handle and trolley compartment?

Personally, I used a wax lubricant so the dirt and sand do not stick and there is still lubricant.

Finish Line DRY Teflon Bicycle Chain Lube, 4-Ounce Drip Squeeze Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IDZXRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Ho.KBb099JTG2

This dries leaving a waxy film; you can scratch it with your fingernail. I think this is very important so the dirt and sand don't stick onto the trolley surfaces. So far nearly 1000 miles and my trolley has been entirely trouble free.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Therefore I doubt replacing the trolley will help, because it's the wheel kicking up the dirt into the slider and latch.

This is useful information. Going forward I will ensure that I am checking that. However, Kingsong did identify weak latching mechanisms as a main culprit in the trolley failures that early wheels experienced. The replacement handle sent to me by EWheels has the reinforced locking pin as depicted in the photo. I am glad that cleaning and lubrication fixed your problem, but if it happens again you might want to check to see which handle you have.

ad5663fa-5070-4313-9cea-f940bdfc8511.jpg

On 9/8/2018 at 12:10 PM, LanghamP said:

Opening up the wheel shows dirt in the back slider/latch. Cleaning out the dirt restores the functionality of the trolley. Therefore I doubt replacing the trolley will help, because it's the wheel kicking up the dirt into the slider and latch.

I replaced my trolley with the reinforced version. It works fantastic. It's a pretty straightforward replacment, requiring removal only of the outer shell. The shell cap does not need to come off - saves the trouble of unwinding 8 extra screws on top of the approximately 30 you must unwind to remove the side shells.

The sensor contacts on the bottom of the trolley handles will need to be removed; easy peasy, two Phillips head screws. The new handles have a plastic barrier inserted into the hollow of the trolley arm to block dirt from entering - I wish that I had remembered to take photos of this feature on the new handle before installing it. The barriers inserted in the slider hollows on the new handles present a much more thoughtful design, and elegant solution that will prevent any future problems with dirt getting into the slider latch mechanisms and affecting the handles operation. Removing the dirt may temporarily restore operation, but it will continue to be a problem. Changing the handle should be a permanent fix.

The photos also show a much stronger latching mechanism that looks to be 3 or 4 X the circumference of the smaller original. 

If your handle is failing, I recommend contacting your dealer to get the replacement.

2 hours ago, Purplecycle said:

Same thing here.

I received my 18L on July 8 or 9th. The second day I starting having this issue with the handle. I contacted my reseller, sent a video of the problem and a couple of weeks later I received replacements for both trolley bars. 

I replaced mine 2 days ago. How has yours held up since your replacement?

Another thing. Replacing the handle necessitated opening the cover. When I opened it I discovered a good deal of silt that was the obvious result of tire kickup and puddle splash nesting inside the lower portions of the wheel and shell. I used my cordless minivac and to remove the debris and finished it off with cleaner (1 part alcohol to 3 parts water) to make the wheel spotless on the insides. 

I learned that it is probably a good idea to periodically remove the outer shells and clean out the wheel. I will be periodically performing this operation going forward.

36 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Another thing. Replacing the handle necessitated opening the cover. When I opened it I discovered a good deal of silt that was the obvious result of tire kickup and puddle splash nesting inside the lower portions of the wheel and shell. I used my cordless minivac and to remove the debris and finished it off with cleaner (1 part alcohol to 3 parts water) to make the wheel spotless on the insides. 

I learned that it is probably a good idea to periodically remove the outer shells and clean out the wheel. I will be periodically performing this operation going forward.

Ugh ugh ugh, going from memory I think my KS16S (not 18l...thread highjack!!) uses the smaller latches, and also there was an astonishing amount of silt inside the wheel.

You'll also be amused there was both wet and dry dog shit in my wheel, I reached up and scooped out that delicious goodiness.

I did use some electric and other white tape to presumably seal off the wheel well from the other parts of the wheel.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Ugh ugh ugh, going from memory I think my KS16S (not 18l...thread highjack!!) uses the smaller latches, and also there was an astonishing amount of silt inside the wheel.

You'll also be amused there was both wet and dry dog shit in my wheel, I reached up and scooped out that delicious goodiness.

I did use some electric and other white tape to presumably seal off the wheel well from the other parts of the wheel.

Dog Crap? EEEEEWWWW!?

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2018 at 5:39 PM, Shangotunji said:

I replaced mine 2 days ago. How has yours held up since your replacement?

After another 1000km, it has held up quite well. It’s essentially the same handle, but with improved spring system at the bottom. Overall I am satisfied.

26 minutes ago, Purplecycle said:

After another 1000km, it has held up quite well. It’s essentially the same handle, but with improved spring system at the bottom. Overall I am satisfied.

Very true. The locking pins at the bottom are much stronger.

Video update of the above wheel on the original post: 

Some pictures of my replacement for the new handlebars with the bigger/better pin that won't allow the handle to stick out when pulled.

Some of the plastic parts were broken, seemed fragile and the wheel is second hand with just 600km on it. It is most likely due to a fall the previous owner had after missing a pothole, which made the wheel spin and get some scratches on the handle and a few other parts.

After replacing the handle bars, the lift detection shutoff stopped working, but not a big issue for me, I'll just shut it down when lifting it as I'm used to with other wheels.

The important thing is that now I can lift the wheel properly and the handle bars work OK.

I'll try it for the first time tomorrow, so I'm excited :)

IMG_20181023_212636.jpg

IMG_20181023_212612.jpg

EDIT:
For anyone replacing/fixing the trolley, this will be important to know so that the lift detection sensor keeps working (mine doesn't anymore, the wheel spins...)

I definitely did over-tighten the sensor screw... I didn't know it had to not be tight as explained here (watch the video on the quoted message by @Circuitmage:

Archived