Testimonial of riding a EUC: Comparison KS16s and V10f and...

Cumulus Libre

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I would compare the noise the V10F to the KS16.  

Dude, not even close. I've been riding my V10F right next to a KS16S or two for many kilometres and boy can I hear them! It's not about decibels, it's about how annoying the pitch is. 

@Cumulus Libre you are a rockstar for taking control of your health  and finding something that works.  I'm terrified that you'll fall and make things worse of course, but you seem pretty cognizant of the risks/rewards, so I can only give you two thumbs up! 

On wheels, I'll offer a few comments on ergonomics and tires that may or may not be helpful.  I learned on a very skinny wheel (solowheel xtreme).  Due to that I have a *really* hard time on wide wheels, and particularly 'short' wheels that press against your leg low.  I like to ride one-footed.  Well not really ride, but come to stops gracefully (pulling one foot off to balance and wait at a light or whatever).  So being able to control a wheel with one foot is super important. A skinny wheel that is lighter (and locks against your leg higher) gives you WAY more control one-footed.  With my xtreme (or glide 3 / V8) you feel like you're wearing the wheel... very easy to control with one foot.  And painless if you add a little extra padding.  

My KingSong 16 was not skinny.  The extra weight of the wheel, wide pedals and lower contact point made it really hard to manage with one foot -- and very painful to ride one-footed due to the pressure point on the leg (much more leverage with the wider pedal stance and lower contact point... can't change physics).  My new MSX is like this as well (the higher pedals reduce leverage but that effectively lowers the contact point with your leg, so that's a wash).  I live with it.  I kind of 'hop off' (with one foot) at stops instead of smoothly lowering a leg when I come to stops.  You get used to it but skinny would be better.

Which gets me back to you.  If you have a highly dominant leg, controlling the wheel with one foot might be critical.  The V10 is great -- I did a test ride on one.  But it was heavy so if you get the chance to ride other wheels definitely do.  Here's where I ended up after 3 years and 6 wheels (casual riding only - people like Marty Back ride more more before breakfast than I ride in a month.  I do < 500 miles a year).  Anyway, I use my MSX for longer rides like commuting and fun, but my V8 is used daily wheel because it's so much easier to manage (light, nimble, easy to ride in the city, tons of power, super easy to switch to the trolly handle, lift out of the car, etc etc).  The MSX is MUCH more forgiving on bumps, cracks, dips, etc., though, so it's safer to ride at speed.  The big tire is cushy and smooth - but all that extra weight makes it a beast to lift, manage with the trolly, control with one foot etc. 

The V10F is a gem - I rode a V10F briefly and loved it instantly.   It felt larger than a 16", with a notable feeling a heavy wheel spinning up.    The wider tire would really help over the V8 on trails.  Speaking of, I chose the Gotway over the V10 only partly because I wanted something different (plus I was under the momentary illusion that I wanted to ride fast like Tishawn Fahie or EVWhere).  The V8 is nimble, like a Mazda Miata.  I wanted something that felt like a 70's Cadillac.   I ruled out the awesome z10 due to comments about the rigid ride - I was really going for that cushy cruiser that could roll anything.  The Monster might have been more on point but the MSX is a blast to ride and very forgiving (if bulky).  

Anyway, stay safe and get strong!    

16 hours ago, solocoyote said:

@Cumulus Libre you are a rockstar for taking control of your health  and finding something that works.  I'm terrified that you'll fall and make things worse of course, but you seem pretty cognizant of the risks/rewards, so I can only give you two thumbs up! 

Most accidents happen at home, coming down the stairs etc.. I think one should live life.. I can fall or hit by a car at any stage .. that doesn't mean we are not recognising and understanding the risks.. but i hope with common sense and the proper protection we should be fine..

16 hours ago, solocoyote said:

My KingSong 16 was not skinny.  The extra weight of the wheel, wide pedals and lower contact point made it really hard to manage with one foot -- and very painful to ride one-footed due to the pressure point on the leg

For me the minute I hopped on the V10f it felt like coming home ;) the higher contact point makes for me a world of difference, the same applies for the KS18L , the KS16s felt more bulky and way to low to control compared to the V10 and KS18L.. but I guess that depends on size (1m80) and preferences.. For someone looking to do tricks the bigger size is not he's preferred ride.. I am looking at the opposite spectrum , comfortable ride.. I am becoming old, but happier with every year added ;)

Happy to see that the MSX is your ride, I was doubting to buy it because of quality issues and the brands reputation, .. 

But after this weekend and all the V10f fires/overheating stories I am not that confident anymore in saying that inmotion is the best quality.. I can't deny the facts at this stage...

cheers

CL

It’s really nice to hear a story so similar to mine! I have a genetic disorder that has shortened my continuous walking distance to about 100m as well. I’m having trouble standing still for more than 5 minutes. Yet nowadays I can ride non-stop for well over an hour. I can’t explain it either. Winter puts me down since no EUCing takes place.

I agree with your findings on V10F vs 16S. The V10F is an oddball since it feels and behaves like an 18”. But when it comes to roots and potholes, the physics can’t be fooled. It’s still a (powerful) 16” wheel.

Oh, I’d make sure the 16S has the latest firmware (1.08) and that it is in the hardest ”player” mode. They make a real difference in how well it manages obstacles.

What has been a huge help for me is that I love to modify stuff to make them work better with my restrictions. In an EUC it is DIY side pads and way large pedal extensions. They have made a painless trip many times longer.

I would concentrate on comfort in shoes. Get as much shock absorption you can find. Basketball shoes might have good ones.

Another thing is the risk we take every time we ride, it is a lot larger than it is for healthy people. Even more so since you like speed. Get the best protection for your knees you can find, and since we can’t run a crash off as easily, for all corners and extremities of your body as well.

MSX could be a great wheel for you as it’s tire really is extremely stable and comfortable. But the steep sideways pedal angle is likely bad for your knee and leg. If you don’t mind filing the pedals down and purchasing aftermarket side pads (or making your own), the MSX is a great option.

3 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

But after this weekend and all the V10f fires/overheating stories I am not that confident anymore in saying that inmotion is the best quality.. I can't deny the facts at this stage...

King Song has own problems with KS18L - wheel lock when trolleying and white lamp beam intensity degradation. However with 1.11 firmware they at least managed the lock problem, so you don't have to carry a screwdriver with you to disconnect batteries; wheel just turns off when lock is detected. They also resolved the problem with lamp overheating - King Song now sends replacement lamp boards to their distributors. New board is made with aluminium substrate that allows to better heat dissipation. Otherwise it's rock solid wheel, I've already made over 1500 km, about 300 km in more or less rough terrain - KS 18L proved to be a stable yet agile and mighty wheel. It also proved to be weatherproof - I rode it for a dozen of kilometers in heavy rain and over many water puddles - without any problems then and now. I've heard that Inmotion had problems with waterproofing their V10s... So both KS18L and V10 were not free from early manufacturing problems.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, eddiemoy said:

All the KS’s make a high pitches noise.  The KS18L and KS18S are loudest.

One of the differences I notice between the 16S and 18L is that the "hum" from the 18L is fairly consistent (not really changing with speed). Meanwhile the "whine" of the 16S increases significantly with speed...

@solocoyote, what he said.

I don't find the KS16S difficult to ride one legged or otherwise, actually I really like the handling except the lower pads hit the ground despite me being careful. However, I do find the KS16S the most painful of all wheels to ride one legged as there's too much force against the shins and ankle. You're right, somehow the wheel levers hard against you.

I'd say the skill to ride one legged is probably the skill one should learn second, even before mounting, because:

--Allows you to mount and dismount gracefully, from either side.

--Allows you to keep control of your wheel if you semi-bail instead of walking off and seeing your wheel tumble.

--Allows foot position changes on the opposite on the go, especially useful if you're new and get numb feet.

Yet the KS16S is not that fat! A lot of it is merely the upper padding forcing your legs out, and I think making footpads higher, near the axle, much wider and much longer would help with cornering clearance, stance (you can choose either), and ball foot overhang. And maybe even structural strength, as footpads near the axle exert less leverage.

Archived