Testimonial of riding a EUC: Comparison KS16s and V10f and...

Cumulus Libre

Hello, 

first of all I wanted to thank everyone who is contributing to this forum, it is and was an enormous help so far in my quest to find the right wheel/standing/tire pressure etc.. :clap3:

Some of you were very helpfull with advising me through private messages, it seems this community is all about helping each other, which is awesome !

Secondly I do like the positive attitude here and compared to lots of other fora, it seems I came across positive people who want to share their passion without the negative narrrative you so often get on other fora !

So the least I can do is to write down my experience with riding an EUC with a bad knee... this is my quest of being mobile again and finding the right wheel for me, and which things I did wrong and right... 

I do understand that this will not reflect the feedback of an average sporty young rider but I am quite sure they will indulge my feedback ;)

When I say the right wheel for me, I should give some personal input: I am 42 years old, I weigh 75 kg (geared up) and I've been always been very sportive: kitesurfing/paragliding/skiing....

The right EUC for me? By that I mean that I was looking for a wheel that got me out of my couch again, I've been sitting in my couch for more than a year, due to a simple knee surgery that went wrong, nerve damage, there is no solution and I have to be patient and indulge the pain... 

So I was trying to be mobile again, folding that knee is very painfull and prevented me from walking more then 100m a day and biking was no solution either... so far that's still not the case...

In my quest for electrical vehicles I came across an EUC. 

After some research, I bought the KS16s, I remember my vendor (Onewheel) telling me to wait a few weeks on the V10f that would be better for my knee, but I was too impatient to start riding/learning, I really could use something positive input in my life, and honestly I was far from convinced that I would be able to ride it at all, but one has to be positive...

The first two weeks were literally trying to stand on it and get off again, trying to get that knee adapted to the feeling (I had little or no muscles in my leg anymore) and I had to work that muscle memory. In parallel my wife was learning it as well, she loved it from the moment I bought it, her attitude was a big bonus since maybe we could ride it together in the near future.

After that two weeks riding inside 4 meters back and forth, we took it outside and learned on the grass, not without buying protective pads for hips, knees, elbows and wrists, I know the grass is more bumpy but more forgiving in case I would fall off or damage the wheel... :wub:

By the end of the third week, I was riding on the streets and mainly offroad, I was enjoying it a lot, that KS16s was everything I wanted it to be: agile, sporty, fast acceleration and braking !

Woow, I really was impressed and my plan of leaving my couch behind was working out just fine ! 

In the meanwhile I was riding 5 to 10 km a day, mostly offroad, my speed limit was first set to 15 - 20 and then 25km/h.

Since my wife was enjoying it as much as I did, we had to think of a second wheel, so I contacted my vendor and he proposed me to try a bigger wheel and rent it out for a week. 

In my quest for the Right Wheel, one tries to put all the positives and negatives about a wheel on to paper and one of the most important things for me at that stage was not to choose a heavy wheel, it simply didn't seem practical, so each time Onewheel (my vendor) suggested a bigger wheel, I was hesitant, but I was wrong... 

Then I got to onewheel he proposed to lent me (the brand new V10f) and boy, was I curious about that wheel, he even suggested me to try the Z10 at his place but on that day my knee was to tired, I thought I wasn' t up for it yet, which I regret even till today :facepalm:

The V10f, I read a lot about it , some threads are quite negative about it , some are positive about the ride but negative about the quality. So I was quite eager to test it out and see what the rumors were all about !

The first few minutes felt quite strange, the wheel was pulling me to the right (dominant leg) and it was less agile than my KS16s, but after a few kilometers into the ride, I started to like the feeling and the smoothness of the ride, my knee was more happy with this ride...

On the second day, I doubled my range without any problem and by the end of that day I fell in love with the handling... I remember that I felt so comfortable on it that I've put the speed-limit from 25 to 35 km/h even on that second day.

I remember that I slept very little that first week that I was trying the V10f, simply because I was looking forward to the next ride (bear in mind that I was barely mobile for more than a year before getting to know an EUC ! So imagine my excitement, the whole world changed into an off piste ski resort ;) and the good news is, I didn't need any snow, nor cable lift to bring me there... only sunlotion in the summer :efee6b18f3: ) 

I can't say anything bad about the KS16s, in fact my wife still loves it to this day, but boy oh boy that V10f is a smooth ride, I am riding forrest trails, eating up tarmac roads on a steady 30 to 35 km/h pace, I quite often hear the horn allerting me that I am hitting the speed limit (which I have set to 35) ! And in fact I was not even dreaming of riding that fast in the first year or so... in one of the youtube videos the reviewer mentioned that the V10F is boosting up your confidence, that review was spot on !

The V10f is advertised as the Lexus or luxury Sedan, and my knee fully agrees with that. 

The KS16s is a lovely ride, but for my knee it's too nervous, I do understand that that might appeal more to healthy sporty riders than it does to me, the starting speed and the braking on the KS are superior to the V10f, but in practice the V10f has enough speed and power to get me anywhere, in fact if you accelerate at low speed, the V10f has a tiny edge compared to the KS16s, or is my wife not opening the throttle as she is saying?:efef585a74:

Some people say that the V10f isn't really a city wheel, I understand but I disagree :) 

I've been riding it in busy cities without any issues, I do understand what they are referring to: the KS16s is coming faster to a stop, is more agile etc.. but I think it is a matter of adapting, I had less issues with curbstones, railway tracks than I had on my KS16s so I guess they all excel at certain things, ...

What do I like about the V10f:

• smoothness of riding, the overall handling, stability at low speed, the nice carving at higher speeds, it's less nervous, the cut off handle, I do like the trolley, more than the KS trolley, looks (ok it's not a Z10 :dribble:but I got to like it, I got to know it better and like with certain women you learn to appreciate them over time ;) , off course I am not speaking out of own experience , for me it was love at first sight :efeeec645d: )  

• Footpads : if you come of a KS and get onto the V10 it's like changing your wooden clogs for soft leather and sheep fur winter slippers, they feel comfortable, on the KS I had a lot of footfatigue after only a few kilometers , that was completely gone on the V10f (I have to admit I guess this would have disappeared on the KS as well, it was a matter of time, but still).  They come in a sort of rubbergrip, I thought they would be slippery and I thought I would want sandpaper asap, but so far they are holding up very well, I've been riding in the rain for a while, offroad etc... of course I am no real acro guy on it, but for my riding style, I have no complaints !

• More natural feel to it, I am standing very natural on it, because of the flat pads? Bigger pads? The slim wheel compared to a wider KS? 

• The silent ride, I thought people were exaggerating when they were rambling on about the KS high pitch, I admit I noticed it when I rode the KS but was ok with it, untill you get to ride a more silent wheel, then you really don't want to go back to that high pitch unless it adds something positive... 

• Tire, oh tire, that 2,5 inch tyre is giving us a smooth ride, seems enough grip, yesterday I was riding quite cautiously and the first autumn tree leafs were laying around but soon I was reassured.

Downside or dislikes V10f : 

• the wheel is a bit heavier, you feel that when you ride it, but I have to say the stability wins it over the heavier feel, I guess both are correlated somehow...

• power on/off buton, the one I got to try is not always starting up or shutting down when I want it to, but maybe it's up to me? Sometimes I have to press it 3 times just to fire it up...

• looks ? The handle/trolley they could have done a better job perhaps, but then again I like more the feel of it and it handles very well, ... black rim like the V8 would have been nicer...

• I thought that Inmotion stood for quality, so far I can't say the opposite but some of the threads are alarming here, I do have to say the one I have here is with serial number 127xxxx and alls that start with 127xxx are ok according to the Inmotion dealer, and who am I to doubt that feedback?

• the app is draining my phone batteries... 

• maybe I am not well informed yet, but it seems that I have no visible feedback that the V10f is fully charged besides connectiong it again through bluethooth and look at the app, the KS poweradapter gives me a green light in case of fully charged, the battery lights on the V10f keeps on blinking...

My wife is riding very well on the KS, but I notice that offroad she wants to keep up with me, and then the KS16s misses the stability off road that I am having with the V10f and that worries me a bit, do I have to ride more slowly for her safety? :crying:Maybe I should be more of a gentlemen... but what about my fun ;)  On the last ride she fell twice, no big deal as she is unharmed but I simply don't feel fine knowing she's on a less good ride than I am. Btw, I fell on the same parts a few weeks ago on the KS. 

So after some thought, we decided to sell our KS16s and buy a V10f instead, and then we have to come up with a second wheel still, since my wife will be riding the V10f as well, ...

So my conclusion for people with knee issues, it's more interesting to go for a bigger wheel that rides smoothly, the KS was putting more stress on my knee, first of all because I had to work it more at lower speeds just to get it stable, the forces of braking and accelerating are greater than compared to another smoother wheel, as the V10f is...

I've been reading a lot, asked people for help and I got some awesome feedback, but I am still struggling with the second wheel... 

• Isn't it strange to buy two same wheels? It's like those couples that are showing up in the same clothes or blue and pink jackets.. ;) 

• The Z10 is simply too nice to not try and I should give it a chance, especially since I love carving so much, throwing in the weight like I did on skis... but will my knee agree?

• Msx, should I give it a try? Don't like the looks too much nor the not so trustworthy character of the Gotway's..

• KS18L, less beatifull, again maybe to nervous for my knee, agile, high pitch, trolley? 

• Are there new other rides in the pipeline to discover??

As with a lot of things you buy these days, if your new into the sport then you want to have good honest feedback, advice and I am greatfull that I got this through my vendor Onewheel and on this forum...

It has been raining throughout the writing of this post, but when finishing up this post the sun came through the clouds and is doing it's best to bring sunshine again, this summarizes on how I experienced the EUC the last six weeks and what it did for me...

A big hobby of mine is to make movies, I have a lot of raw data ready to be edited, so I hope to make one soon, then I can post something on the video thread page (what is it these days: page 374? or even 375 by the time you finished reading this post ;)).

I'll finish up with a good quote we use in paragliding and you could use here as well: 

Time flies by, but luckily I am the pilot !

Cheers

CL

PS : I should change my avatar one of these days.. but soon I'll have my own V10f until then..

Cool:efee47c9c8:

During the entire time you were saying you and your knee prefer the less twitchy, more stable ride of the V10F (it has a significantly wider tire after all), I was thinking you need to try an 18 incher. Thinking of the 18L as a sleek and easy design, but of course the msuper X will be the king of comfort, going by all reports about its tire and how it rides (also you will be safe from the awfully low range of a 1000Wh wheel:efee8319ab:). Not sure how the Z10 will feel, I guess it depends on the tire pressure whether it's rock hard or feathered. It might also require more knee work for turning and maneuvering. I'd say the msuper X whispers your name...

I got to ride these same 2 wheels a month ago and had pretty much the same impression.

The KS-16s is more agile.  I like how it accelerates quickly.  It's a fun wheel.  I like the beautiful handle.  I dislike the whining noise.

The V10f feels smooth, stable, and powerful.  It seems to accelerate slowly - and I can't understand how it feels so stable, yet feels slow to accelerate - how does the wheel not tip over?  (I'm guessing that it's not actually slow to accelerate, it just feels that way.  I don't know how.)  Big foot pedals are comfortable.  The wheel is (and feels) heavier.  I think this would be super nice for long rides.  I dislike the handle design.

Sort of like a sports car vs a luxury sedan.  Both have their advantages.

May I point out that the KS-18L does not sound at all like the 16S. There is some noise there, but it is more of a hum. So if you are able to try one I would recommend doing so.

18" wheels are generally less agile than the smaller wheel sizes, though having said that the 18L is surprisingly agile - there is a bit more weight to it, which you will feel higher up your calf on sharp turns. But you do get the luxurious smoothness that comes from a larger diameter and wider tyre.

I haven't ridden a Z10 yet (it's still on a boat somewhere), but based on the feedback coming out now; at the higher speeds it requires a very different turning style - much less tilting of the wheel and much more shifting your body weight. Now only you will know, but this may aggravate your knee too much - have a look at this post... 

Dag CL,

What a great story! Since euc’ing, I often wondered how good/bad it is for the knees or back. Since it helps you a lot, i’m leaning towards good.

After riding a Ninebot One E+ boosted with a batterypack for a year and a half and more than 2200 km, I was searching for a better wheel. The KS-16s had my focus, but still a bit too expensive for my taste. Last monday I bought the V10f at Onewheel.be after seeing it in promotion, as it’s cheaper than the KS-16s. And reading your testimonial, glad I did! Smooth ride...

Mine also doesn’t switch on with one press. And it has a strange sound when idle, but I switched on another V10 (no f) when I was at Onewheel, and that one had it too. Once riding the sound disappears.

The led in the poweradapter does turn green when fully charged. That can take a long while. Even if the app says a 100% charge, the led on the charger can still be red. I contacted 1radwerkstatt for a faster charger that stops at 80 or 90%. I think it’s wise to let it charge the first few times fully and afterwards even once in a while, because of balancing the batteries (=green led) and prolonging the lifespan of them.

I really whish there were alarmsettings for a few different speeds and even more range. But maybe the battery needs more conditioning. Or I need to ride slower...

I ordered me a full face helmet and a protective jacket.

Cheers from Oost-Vlaanderen and happy riding! It’s nice weather today ;)

There are advantages of having two of the same wheel. ( same charger, and spare parts: tire tube ....)

Then where is the fun in that? I would try an eighteen inch wheel. They are more stable and once you learn to control them at low speed you might prefer them. Just remember it takes more force to turn them at high speed. This is a good thing because it makes them more stable. It is just not good when not expecting it.  

On 9/6/2018 at 5:01 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Thinking of the 18L as a sleek and easy design, but of course the msuper X will be the king of comfort, going by all reports about its tire and how it rides (also you will be safe from the awfully low range of a 1000Wh wheel:efee8319ab:). Not sure how the Z10 will feel,

I am thinking of trying some fo those wheels, shortlist is KS18L, Z10 , V10f and hmm MSX I have issues with..,

I am waiting on the Z10 to test ride . The MsuperX, hmm  I am really not convinced about the feedback I keep on getting about the durability, I understand they did a lot of improvements on the firmware/motherboard and so one,.. but I do hear problems with shell cases that break easily, water issues due to fragile casing and to be honest I simply don't think Gotway is up there if it comes down to  good finished product.. if you compare the body/Shell and on and off switches compared to inmotion and ninebot then I have to rate them lower.. I guess if you bring out one machine after the other then the focus is to fast shifting at each time, the R&D cost to come up with a really good design and finished product cost time and money and at the fast pace they bring out new EUC's.. there is not enough return on investment in regards to design and finished product, I could be wrong here ;) but that's my take on it for the moment..

bear in mind that I consider myself still as a beginner ... so I ride offroad a lot so that machine will definitely fall and take some beating.. I also think gotway is catching up but is still not there so I have plenty of time to buy one in a few years when they have stepped up their quality... I do am very curious to ride one ,  if you see how many people love them, ..

On 9/10/2018 at 10:54 AM, JimB said:

Big foot pedals are comfortable.  The wheel is (and feels) heavier.  I think this would be super nice for long rides.  I dislike the handle design.

Sort of like a sports car vs a luxury sedan.  Both have their advantages.

I couldn't agree more on the pedals and the car comparison, but I do like the handle design more, it gives me more freedom in handling compared to the KS trolley design... but that will not be the benchmark in choosing the right ride ;)

On 9/10/2018 at 12:15 PM, Peter J said:

Mine also doesn’t switch on with one press. And it has a strange sound when idle, but I switched on another V10 (no f) when I was at Onewheel, and that one had it too. Once riding the sound disappears.

after discussing this with one wheel he did pointed out that you have to get used to it, and I have to say I am adapting, the button has more then one function so you have to push it just long or short enough .. 

On 9/10/2018 at 12:15 PM, Peter J said:

The led in the poweradapter does turn green when fully charged. That can take a long while. Even if the app says a 100% charge, the led on the charger can still be red. I contacted 1radwerkstatt for a faster charger that stops at 80 or 90%. I think it’s wise to let it charge the first few times fully and afterwards even once in a while, because of balancing the batteries (=green led) and prolonging the lifespan of them.

I should have a look again, I havent seen any blinking light on my adapter, but I got the adapter separately I still have to go and fetch the box, so pretty maybe I got another adapter... tbc

18 hours ago, RockyTop said:

There are advantages of having two of the same wheel. ( same charger, and spare parts: tire tube ....)

good remarkt !

On 9/10/2018 at 11:16 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

May I point out that the KS-18L does not sound at all like the 16S. There is some noise there, but it is more of a hum. So if you are able to try one I would recommend doing so

I was happy to hear that so I included the KS18 L back into the list and went to look for reviews again and came across the following video below, it did seem to make that high pitch again though, maybe not exactly the same as my previous KS16s  though, I 'll check with my vendor and ask him to fire one up when I am there.. then I'll here it straight away !

to be continued ;) and in the meanwhile I am loving every inch of that V10f... yesterday I went for a 15 km ride in the city, ...  the coming two days my knee is recuperating ;) 

I did went to the chirurgian yesterday, and he was surprised to see how much more I could stretch my leg and use it, .. it doesn't translate in walking distances yet but I am definitely making progress I am sure the riding of the EUC is helping me out there.. balancing /turning it makes your muscles work...

so I'll keep on riding  :efee6b18f3:

Decision time.. ;)

After reviewing everything I narrowed it down to two possible wheels V10f and KS18L but I had no chance of test riding the KS18L so I went back to one wheel to buy a second V10f.

Practically at the same time of my arrival another good wheeler arrived with his test ride , the KS18L , he was planning on buying it.. 

So that gave me the opportunity to test ride it... off course only limited at tarmac so no real comparison here.. 

Some remarks : 

-I felt straight away very comfortable on it, I thought I would need some adapting but nope, I immediately felt at home...

- Feels more stable, it's an 18incher.. 

- the pedals are smaller then the V10f , I really love the bigger pedals on the V10f..

- The biggest difference is the feel of both wheels, they are really very similar, BUT what I felt (and I needed some rides to discover it) is that the weight/balance of the KS18L is more evenly distributed... if you compare the two with each other then you immediately feel that the batteries are stocked above the tire on the V10f, and you feel that weight when you play around/swing from left to right abruptly , this is not the case on the KS18L ... 

So I left puzzled on what to buy ;) yep the KS18L felt more balanced, it's an 18 inched so I guess it will ride better over potholes, etc.. however when I did try a few cobble stones that wasn't immediately clear to me, if felt similar..  I am sure I became to love the rubber pedals of the V10f..

But what about the build quality ? Kingsong to Inmotion?

the Trolley is ok, it is ok with sensor to pick it up , it seems to work fine for me..

So I left the place without buying a new ride but went home with some extra homework.. I really have to put everything next to each other.. 

The benefits of riding an 18incher compared to 16 incher is very clear if you look at the KS16s and KS18L but the KS18L feels so similar to the V10f in regards to size of the wheel/tyre.. 

I know everywhere they are almost the same in price but I have to say I can get the V10f for 400 euro cheaper then the KS18L.. 

But money is and is not the issue ;) the smoothness of the ride and my knee is !

Luxury problems ;)

17 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

So I left puzzled on what to buy ;) yep the KS18L felt more balanced, it's an 18 inched so I guess it will ride better over potholes, etc.. however when I did try a few cobble stones that wasn't immediately clear to me, if felt similar..  I am sure I became to love the rubber pedals of the V10f..

If it helps... Ewheels in the US is working with King Song to develop larger pedals (designed for "westerners"). And while this is his initiative, I understand they will be available to all King Song distributors.

@Jason McNeil - is there any update on your new pedals?

46 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If it helps... Ewheels in the US is working with King Song to develop larger pedals (designed for "westerners"). And while this is his initiative, I understand they will be available to all King Song distributors.

@Jason McNeil - is there any update on your new pedals?

that would indeed be great news... , any idea about griptape ? rubber? same look and feel as the pedals of KS today? 

cheers

CL

18 hours ago, RockyTop said:

@houseofjob is well known in the community and selling his almost new KS18L for a great price in the private sales $1350 

Sorry I thought you were in the US. 

thx for your feedback @The Fat Unicyclist ,  I do know @houseofjob and I would consider that always as an option if I would have lived anywhere near him ;)

On 9/6/2018 at 4:21 PM, Cumulus Libre said:

So I was trying to be mobile again, folding that knee is very painfull and prevented me from walking more then 100m a day and biking was no solution either... so far that's still not the case...

I was always hesitant to recommend EUCing in case of knee problems, because the knees are our suspension and safety insurance. Therefore I am surprised to read that you can even go offroad apparently without having problems with the knee. I am curious whether you still bent your knees when going over bumps and rough road? Do you have an explanation why walking puts more strain on this knee than EUCing?

Hey Mono, 

hmm I had my reservations to really answer this one, it's totally offtopic, but I think it's important to dream and read testimonials of other people so one can be positively encouraged and in general not to give up and visualise a futur despite the situation your in...

So here we go..In the early days of buying a EUC I was very sceptic and hesitant ...

But just days before I purchased my first EUC (KS16s) my wife wanted to buy me a wheelchair , from time to time I was able to lent one from a neighbour, besides that I only came out of the door with crotches.. A wheelchair, I was far from ready for that..so looked for a solution and came across a EUC..

I wouldn't understand why I would be able to do this and not riding a bicycle and/or walk, but I needed something positive in my life again, I didn't tell anyone and learned it my workshop in the garden.

But to me it was clear, biking and walking that meant much more folding of my knee then when riding an EUC, maybe it was wishful thinking.. 

First of all you have to understand that I had complications due of a minor knee surgery, in fact a simple arthroscopy, it's not that uncommon, one out of 1000 have nerve damage during surgery.. I was the lucky drawer and won that lottery ticket.. :facepalm:

Science is in the dark on understanding what happened wrong during surgery, and they have no clue on how to heal such nerve damage besides Vitamines C and being patient and try to deal with the pain, it's a more common issue on feet, hand , shoulder..  .. The nerve system is damaged in my case , so it's giving conflicting signals to the brain .. 

This results in a lot of pain and my knee was simply dying, the knee is not getting enough blood anymore so you get muscle artrofy (dying/dissapearing of muscles :quadriceps/hamstring/... of that left leg), but also osteoporoses (bone that is becoming fragile) since the bone is not receiving any input/blood etc.., all this can be seen on scanners pictures ,  there is no idea if I will be able to walk more then 100m on it again, so I was pretty immobile the last year..  I only got this diagnose like 8 weeks ago, from more then 5 different orthopedists... 

Besides the nerve damages/pain/knee shutting down, it could be that the mechanical parts of the knee are OK that it is only the nerve damages that is causing the pain.. besides pain my knee is not allowing me to bend it after using it too much.. Some surgeons explain it like someone that lost a foot in the war and still has pain to a limb that isn't there anymore.. phantom pain..

they advice me to try to strengthen the leg.. I have to go past the pain barrier and try to increase/higher the pain threshold.. this means that I am learning my knee to accept more pain, on a daily bases, just to strengthen that knee again and to higher the pain threshold that we are experiencing.To help me with the pain, I am putting 10 to 15 times a day ice on it, short periods  of 10 to 15 minutes

The EUC was originally  an idea, hoping to be mobile again over months to come... so imagine my big surprise that I am able to ride it so good , far and fast in only a couple of weeks... the good part is that due to riding my euc, I strengthened my knee again, balancing is activating the right muscles ... so that left leg is stronger again, but at this stage this results not in the fact that I can walk further or longer.. I am better in short distances then 8 weeks ago though... 

Bear in mind that I am very positive about this progress but riding the EUC is like reserving time, I have a sandglass for 100 minutes a week at this stage , so I can use it all up in once (with resting periods off course) or go for 10 small rides of 10 minutes.. the same applies with the walking etc.. 

I wouldn't  generalise in saying a EUC is good for knees... it's definitely the best option for me at this stage in my life.. it is helping me on a daily base.. 

In fact I am in much pain writing this topic .. I am trying to increase my walking distances again, I am training in the swimming pool only through walking in the water, but I am overdoing it a bit, I have to ! In the quest of walking again, but it's a thin line, a few meter too much results in not being able to stand on that leg again for 10 days to two three weeks, inflammations.. and in that case no more EUC riding too, luckily I am able to ride a little bit on one leg ;) so if my left one would hurt too much I am able to do short distances with one leg (i keep on telling me that ;)  ) ...

That's how i explain it to others..

And hence the importance for me to choose the right ride.. It's so much more then a toy for me, it's way to be mobile again, it allows me to say yes again when my friends invite me over for a drink on a terrace in the city centre.. or to walk my dog again, but it's a long process.. some people like me are able to walk again, some aren't ..

But I am confident and very positive that you'll see me walking again in the near future.. 

cheers 

CL

What about using an electric bicycle?

That would fulfill the requirements of constantly folding the leg while putting very little weight onto it.

I say this because it only takes one awkward fall on an EUC to damage your knees. Earlier this year I had a nasty stepoff that resulted me being off a wheel for a month, and I could not climb stairs.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

What about using an electric bicycle?

That would fulfill the requirements of constantly folding the leg while putting very little weight onto it.

I say this because it only takes one awkward fall on an EUC to damage your knees. Earlier this year I had a nasty stepoff that resulted me being off a wheel for a month, and I could not climb stairs.

Good advice,  but you can get hurt on a bicycle too.  I think motivation can come into play.  Wanting to ride is better than having to ride. Exercise is great when someone sneaks it into a fun activity.  Also it is much easier to store an EUC in the back seat or beside you at a restaurant.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

What about using an electric bicycle

I am not able to spin the knee for more then 3 min without issue.. the electric bicycle was the first option.. but didnt make sense.. 

An euc you ride all the way into the city.. even in certain shops.. 

And to be honest i really love euc's over biking.. 

4 hours ago, Truong Do said:

I believe the V10F has a Bluetooth speaker where you can play music from your phone thru it, can one of you confirm? And if it is as loud as the one in KS16S?

hi I can confirm that the speakers are as loud as the one on the KS16s..easily to connect via bluetooth as with the KS

On 9/13/2018 at 6:55 PM, Cumulus Libre said:

Practically at the same time of my arrival another good wheeler arrived with his test ride , the KS18L , he was planning on buying it.. 

So that gave me the opportunity to test ride it... off course only limited at tarmac so no real comparison here.. 

First off, it's great to read your story and hear about the joy you've found in EUCs and the mobility you get from it, may you continue to delight in it! :)

You mentioned the KS high pitched sound in an earlier post but didn't follow up on that for the KS18L comparison. As one of those bothered by and rambling about the KS sounds I'd be interested if you have any comparisons between the KS16S and K18L? It still has the same frequency whine from what I can tell, but did you reflect on how noticeable it was? The V10F is quiet, which I love about it, but someone said it's because they modulated the frequency so that the whining is high enough that the human ear can't hear it. While the volume is of course a factor, I'm interested in hearing from someone who has also noticed the KS whine and can compare it with the KS18L and to hear how the experience things with the same frequency whine at lower volumes.

As for the V10F in general, I think most people consider it a great ride (myself included). It's also clear to me however that they skimped on the manufacturing. This shows up as quality issues, first off in the more traditional sense, e.g. the waterproofing wasn't done right even though their previous generation (V8) as I understand it had working protection with good battery casing. Then for the V10F they decide to forego this, supposedly as a way to save money I guess? Secondly they released a wheel that cannot take advantage of its full power due by seemingly shoving in an older insufficient board not designed for the wheels true capacity. So you have a good wheel with many things to love, but it's a wheel that could have been great had they went that extra mile and not rushed it, and that's what's so frustrating. Hopefully they might get everything right with the V12 or whatever the next model will be, but I for one will be hesitant to consider it given the current experience.

14 hours ago, Nils said:

You mentioned the KS high pitched sound in an earlier post but didn't follow up on that for the KS18L comparison. As one of those bothered by and rambling about the KS sounds I'd be interested if you have any comparisons between the KS16S and K18L? It still has the same frequency whine from what I can tell, but did you reflect on how noticeable it was? The V10F is quiet, which I love about it, but someone said it's because they modulated the frequency so that the whining is high enough that the human ear can't hear it. While the volume is of course a factor, I'm interested in hearing from someone who has also noticed the KS whine and can compare it with the KS18L and to hear how the experience things with the same frequency whine at lower volumes.

Good question and I hope to answer it.

I test rode the KS18L last thursday and loved it.. and it looks very nice in the Black matte version.. 

I was put of by the pitch on the KS16s after I've ridden and bought the V10f , so I was very curious about the KS18L after hearing that it was more humming noice compared to the high pitch whining of the KS16s.. I Have to say I was so busy enjoying and figuring out how I loved the ride on the KS18L that I forgot all about he noise..

Since I sat beside an active KS18L for about two hours or so without it annoying me.. That only means one thing , much less whining then the KS16s  but it makes more noise then the V10f.

The noise was a breaking point not to choose the KS18L before I've rode it.. but once I was riding it I never really checked it , I really never really paid attention to it, let alone say that I was annoyed by it.. so afterwords I only thought about how that came, that only means that is definitely more silent that it's little brother.. 

But to be honest to really have a good answer you should check with @eddiemoy who is owning both of them? Eddie can you chip in here? Give it your thoughts?

All the KS’s make a high pitches noise.  The KS18L and KS18S are loudest.  not sure what it is.  On the other hand, I am surprised at how silent the GW MSX is.  You can’t hear anything.  It is only when I go back to my video that I can hear a faint sound.  In person,  I couldn’t hear anything when I was going.  Not sure how they did this.  I’m amazed!

as for the V10F, it isn’t silent like the MSX.  It is however less noisy than the KS18L.  I would compare the noise the V10F to the KS16.  

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

All the KS’s make a high pitches noise.  The KS18L and KS18S are loudest.  not sure what it is.  On the other hand, I am surprised at how silent the GW MSX is.  You can’t hear anything.  It is only when I go back to my video that I can hear a faint sound.  In person,  I couldn’t hear anything when I was going.  Not sure how they did this.  I’m amazed!

as for the V10F, it isn’t silent like the MSX.  It is however less noisy than the KS18L.  I would compare the noise the V10F to the KS16.  

I'm surprised to hear this - my understanding was that the KS18L was much more quiet than the earlier KS wheels. Yes, the MSX is really quiet, good work by Gotway there (and I understand the Tesla is quiet as well). As someone said (Marty?) Gotway seems to have found the secret sauce when it comes to noise reduction.

As for the noise of the V10F compared to the KS16 I strongly disagree (those two wheels are the ones I own), and I'd say the V10F is a quiet blessing in comparison. But perhaps this is one example of the pitch vs volume thing, I find the noise from the KS16 very irritating but not so the one from the V10F, and I guess that comes down to the different frequencies of the sounds emitted.

Archived