KS-18L + Noob - what to consider?

Seware74

Great to know that Modes didn't affect the pure perfomance but only the manner it is spread B)

I'm on Medium now, but coming from a Solowheel Xtreme, that either in hard mode seems to swing as its so soft:wub:, with  a bit of shame, planned to try the Learner mode but with the pain in loosing something ....:unsure: but.. no... modes stay simply to come near the personal ride stylish taste :thumbup:

Tomorrow will try Learning mode for a complete route ride;)

8 hours ago, zugu said:

Great to know that Modes didn't affect the pure perfomance but only the manner it is spread B)

I'm on Medium now, but coming from a Solowheel Xtreme, that either in hard mode seems to swing as its so soft:wub:, with  a bit of shame, planned to try the Learner mode but with the pain in loosing something ....:unsure: but.. no... modes stay simply to come near the personal ride stylish taste :thumbup:

I'll wait for your feedback on Learning mode, otherwise I guess I'll start from Medium and see how it goes.
18L should arrive tomorrow... :thumbup:

9 hours ago, zugu said:

Don't worry... I'm also coming from solowheel world. I loved this soft, floating mode on my Xtreem... I'm on medium mode now on my ks18l. It tooks me few days to use to it but honestly now it's as easy and as cool as on solowheel...

1 hour ago, TomOnWheels said:

Don't worry... I'm also coming from solowheel world. I loved this soft, floating mode on my Xtreem... I'm on medium mode now on my ks18l. It tooks me few days to use to it but honestly now it's as easy and as cool as on solowheel...

I had my Inmotion V8 (aka Glide 3 in US) as my first EUC. I have only used Hard mode on KS18L since it seems fine for me.

I prefer to had fast response when I want to break due to riding in traffic that are not used to EUCs yet.

2 hours ago, tadzio said:

I'll wait for your feedback on Learning mode, otherwise I guess I'll start from Medium and see how it goes.

Start learning with "Medium" mode. In fact, with 18" wheel you need it to be more responsive. Such a big wheel is bulky and sluggish, and this is what doesn't help when taking first steps. What is the most difficult with 18" wheel is to maintain stability at slow speeds. This is why it may be harder to learn how to step on the wheel and accelerate, or decelerate and step off. But finally you'll get it :-) Just don't give up, you can do that! Just give yourself time; be patient and determined. And don't try to squeeze the whole learning path in one day.

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

I had my Inmotion V8 (aka Glide 3 in US) as my first EUC. I have only used Hard mode on KS18L since it seems fine for me.

I prefer to had fast response when I want to break due to riding in traffic that are not used to EUCs yet.

1 minute ago, Seba said:

Start learning with "Medium" mode. In fact, with 18" wheel you need it to be more responsive. Such a big wheel is bulky and sluggish, and this is what doesn't help when taking first steps. What is the most difficult with 18" wheel is to maintain stability at slow speeds. This is why it may be harder to learn how to step on the wheel and accelerate, or decelerate and step off. But finally you'll get it :-) Just don't give up, you can do that! Just give yourself time; be patient and determined. And don't try to squeeze the whole learning path in one day.

These are both very valuable comments, and my opinion is in line with them - setting the KS-18L to learning mode will only make it harder to learn and much less enjoyable.

Having said that, I initially had my 18L set to "experienced" (hard), but as I live in an area with a lot of hills it has become apparent that there is a performance gain (on the hills) that comes from setting the wheel to "medium" - or at the very least, the performance may be the same, but with less effort required from me!

This is helpful information. I just got my 18L, and have had some good riding breakthroughs in the last few days. I am going to switch the mode and check out the difference. I am a new rider, and the wheel has been great. I have discovered muscles I didn't know I had (and I thought I was in pretty good shape! Ha!) I am astounded by the poor documentation that comes with a device that is $1,800. If it wasn't for this forum, I'd be pretty much in the dark about this wheel. Oh, and it's amazing that KIngsong has not yet discovered spellcheck!

@spmartin despite what most native English speaking countries, other languages are bigger and tend to work without population learning English. Now my country (Denmark) is small and language is close to impossible for others to learn quickly, so we tend to adapt by learning English and in some case 1 or 2 other languages if you have flair for it. Hehe just ask @Shad0z

Now as goes the manual, if you read a car manual it will not teach you to drive. It takes practice and often a teacher or instructor. 

This is where the forum can assist you. Anyway happy learning and hope you don't get to hurt in the process. But trust me it is beneficial to have a "minor" accident so you get respect of what can happen. Far to many seems to get overconfident and unlock wheel speed not knowing mechanics and how the wheel works before they have wtf moment and get hurt bad.

Yes I had my accident myself. Not only on my EUC but also on my bike. 

Now I don't mean to scare of a new rider, but only trying to share experience far to many properly would like to have had before they tested faith.

Like the tip I read do not charger wheel to 100% as it cannot store power when goi g downhill and that can result in a cut off of the wheel. I would never have thought of this unless I joined/read it on this forum.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 8:42 AM, tadzio said:

On 9/10/2018 at 10:01 AM, TomOnWheels said:

Well 

Tried more in deep all the 3 Riding Modes but at last I'm back with the Medium mode that is more near to my feeling and preference driving mode ....:)

Archived