Reverse engineering XIMA bluetooth protocol

Kevin

Just finished coding up a first pass at the UI. As it stands, it improves on the original iOs app in the following ways:

1. Speed limit unlocked immediately instead of after 100km
  2. Much improved connection handling - remembers the last device you connected and automatically connects when the app opens or reconnects if interrupted.
  3. Fixed the wonky odometer that was constantly double-counting mileage (needs testing to make sure I didn't fix "too much"!)
  4. Combined all UI into one better-organized page
  5. Speedometer samples at ~double the rate and is bigger/easier to interpret
  6. Refreshes settings after setting them so that you can actually be sure of what got set and what silently failed.

I didn't bother implementing rename or firmware update, as it didn't seem like commonly used functionality and works fine (? actually not sure that it does...) in the official app anyway. Although it seems that a new firmware update is actually available, so when I get a chance I'd like to try and do a packet capture while it does the update >:)

So far I see this as a bare minimum update to the original app to make it usable.

Possible improvements to look at in the future:

• Markers on the speedometer to visually indicate where the warning beeps/tiltback occur
  • Trip odometer
  • Speed/distance graph
  • GPS tracking
  • Apple Watch companion app (if I ever get an apple watch, or someone has one to test with)
  • Interface with smart glasses (kind of expensive to buy just for a glorified speedometer)

Now the unfortunate bit: I'd love to make this widely available, but I can't publish it to the app store due to *cough* not having the annual developer license subscription... will need to figure something out there...

IMG_0156.PNG

IMG_0158.PNG

IMG_0159.PNG

IMG_0160.PNG

IMG_0161.PNG

IMG_0162.PNG

IMG_0163.PNG

IMG_0164.PNG

IMG_0165.PNG

IMG_0166.PNG

Wow, just wow. from an outsider's perspective that is very impressive.

Wondering if anyone can answer this question: when I installed the original Xima app came with a cloud reporter component. Did anyone else note this?

Android. I removed it with Avast mobile security. (I could probably reproduce a screen shot if I re-installed the app.)

The Xima app still starts up: but key point here, I don't have the IPS 191/ Xima yet!

Now I have the unlocked speed Xima app on my Android phone with the cloud reporting APK removed, and I'll see if actually works tomorrow after the delivery!

(Here is where I unnecessarily remind you that I have no tech experience.)

Ah, congrats on your purchase :) It's a pretty nice wheel.

Come to think of it, I don't think 'cloud reporter' is anything to worry about, it's probably just a crash reporting tool. Though if unsure it probably doesn't hurt to kill it as you did.

Damn... well, at least they told you that right away, and didn't first complain about something minor and then make you resubmit & hit a brick wall. I've seen a situation where an app had to be submitted 3-4 times, and each time they complained about a different thing. Looks like as soon as they find a single reason to reject an app, they'll do it immediately. Then you fix the issue (which is usually something cosmetic or very minor), re-submit it, wait a week or two, and they reject it for another reason. You fix that, resubmit it, wait...  ;)

Yeah, Apple sucks balls.

Hi friends, 

After about 2 wks of reading and watching reviews, I finally made up my mind to get the lhotz. 

I was wondering is there any function to lock the wheel using the app? 

Thanks and happy riding. ??

Hi friends, 

After about 2 wks of reading and watching reviews, I finally made up my mind to get the lhotz. 

I was wondering is there any function to lock the wheel using the app? 

Thanks and happy riding. ??

No, there is not.

What an excelent work you do!

I too ordered one yesterday, and I really hope the app hits the store

If not, maybe the SW could go open-SW?

(So those with experience of creating SW can build for themselves?)

I myself would happily donate (PP?) Kevin if you distribute the SW for personal usage.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Kevin & esaj, i was wondering if one of you guys could help me out.  I recently aquired the LHOTZ 191, and for some reason i was unable to connect to the Iamips app from the manufacturer.   I have a Nexus 6 and i am not sure if that is the issue.  I had a friend of mine who was able to find the wheel and connect with the IamIps app on his Galaxy Note 5.  

I did find the unlocked Android app, and that was working for me.  However, i have a serious issue in that now every time i open that app and select connect it crashes instantly.  This just started happening 2 days ago.  But the larger issue is i was letting my son ride the wheel and dialed the speed back to 12 kmh and now i cant get any app to change it.  Let me know if you might have any insight on why i cant connect to the Factory app or why this app might be crashing now.  

Also i am running Android 6.0.1

Also just messing around on my phone i tried to connect to the wheel through the Bluetooth settings, and every time i try that my phone says "pairing rejected by Lhotz" 

the version of the app i was using is linked below. 

thanks in advance for any help. 

ips_1109_unlocked.apk

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=3505

Archived