Yet another bitten by the EUC bug

John Hearsey

This forum has been tremendous in helping better understand EUCs as well as being a wealth of information about all kinds of things, so thank you all!

I just bought a KS14s and I am now attempting to learn how to ride it. Funny, @Jason McNeil, in his into message he sent when I bought the wheel suggested I use a shopping cart for learning and I tried a variation of that by using my electric mower instead as it is not too heavy. Is is actually helping me get a feel for the wheel and how to balance on it. One thing became very clear rather quickly was to look up and ahead rather than down at the wheel (of course I knew that!). I am starting to believe I might actually be able to do this!

I also do have a question. When I just start to move the wheel either forward or back I feel a vibration in my feet as if the wheel is "hunting" for the balance point. It stops vibrating as soon as I start to move. Just wondered if this is typical behavior or there might be a problem with the wheel.

Thanks @Jason McNeil for including the protection foam padding which I have put to good use as I know the wheel is going down a lot in the near future anyway...IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.5eccdb5c6140884c4c4239a052693278.JPG

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, John Hearsey said:

also do have a question. When I just start to move the wheel either forward or back I feel a vibration in my feet as if the wheel is "hunting" for the balance point. It stops vibrating as soon as I start to move. Just wondered if this is typical behavior or there might be a problem with the wheel. 

Hmm, vibration? Dunno... That doesn't sound right.

I have a 14D, but I don't think I ever experienced what you are describing. If you're concerned and are able to make it to say... Al Lopez Field (next to stadium); I could probably take a look and maybe provide a couple of pointers...

Have you tried level re-calibrating?

Edited by RayRay
Still a newbie myself...

1 hour ago, John Hearsey said:

This forum has been tremendous in helping better understand EUCs as well as being a wealth of information about all kinds of things, so thank you all!

I just bought a KS14s and I am now attempting to learn how to ride it. Funny, @Jason McNeil, in his into message he sent when I bought the wheel suggested I use a shopping cart for learning and I tried a variation of that by using my electric mower instead as it is not too heavy. Is is actually helping me get a feel for the wheel and how to balance on it. One thing became very clear rather quickly was to look up and ahead rather than down at the wheel (of course I knew that!). I am starting to believe I might actually be able to do this!

I also do have a question. When I just start to move the wheel either forward or back I feel a vibration in my feet as if the wheel is "hunting" for the balance point. It stops vibrating as soon as I start to move. Just wondered if this is typical behavior or there might be a problem with the wheel.

Thanks @Jason McNeil for including the protection foam padding which I have put to good use as I know the wheel is going down a lot in the near future anyway...IMG_0308.thumb.JPG.5eccdb5c6140884c4c4239a052693278.JPG

I gues you are just referring to the thing that the wheel when it is switching load, has kind of vibrating sound coming of the motor?

Thats normal then...when under heavy load (start is such a thing) you can hear the wheel, which seams kind of vibrating.

Especially new users found that unusual...bit it is oK.

Otherwise a video might help....

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, John Hearsey said:

That's a good idea so I tried it and still the same vibration. It is actually audible as you begin to accelerate and actually sounds like a grinding noise.

Vibration could be normal, but grinding...?

Is there anyway you could possibly record the sound... (like with a selfie stick)? Post Youtube link?

Edited by RayRay

2 hours ago, John Hearsey said:

I suspect what you may be describing is called “cogging” (https://www.tecnotion.com/frequently-asked-questions/cogging.html) you have a series of very powerful magnets around the rim of the wheel’s motor and, in the centre and almost touching them, the iron stator with the copper windings on it. At very low speed the magnets tend to try to jump from one stator pole to the next which can give a feeling a bit like there is a ratchet in the motor as the motor speeds up this quite suddenly disappears. 

If you VERY slowly turn the wheel powered down you should feel it click or jump slightly from pole to pole if you then spin it as fast as you can powered down by hand and it spins freely with no odd noise it is very unlikely to be anything else. As it slows down you might find it judders very slightly just before it stops. 

If you actually hear a grinding or similar when you spin it by hand then there is a different problem?

Edited by Keith
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

A grinding noise (like there's a bit of sand or pebbles in the motor, or a bit lower-pitch likewise sound) at very low speeds/direction changes is completely normal. It's just an artifact of how the motor is built, the magnets have a certain size and fine maneuvering where that discrete construction shows produces the grinding sound.

But that is confusing as a new guy where any mysterious sound is scary and must be explained. Happened to me, too:efee8319ab: (Didn't ride my wheel for a week or so because partly I was puzzled about that) Nothing to be worried about.

Since we're on the topic of what I've learned since then, wrist guards are absolutely mandatory.  Knee guards and a (full face) helmet are nearly as important, but wrist guards are a 101% must.

Enjoy the ride:eff00eab1e:

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 5:57 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

A grinding noise (like there's a bit of sand or pebbles in the motor, or a bit lower-pitch likewise sound) at very low speeds/direction changes is completely normal. It's just an artifact of how the motor is built, the magnets have a certain size and fine maneuvering where that discrete construction shows produces the grinding sound.

But that is confusing as a new guy where any mysterious sound is scary and must be explained. Happened to me, too:efee8319ab: (Didn't ride my wheel for a week or so because partly I was puzzled about that) Nothing to be worried about.

Since we're on the topic of what I've learned since then, wrist guards are absolutely mandatory.  Knee guards and a (full face) helmet are nearly as important, but wrist guards are a 101% must.

Enjoy the ride:eff00eab1e:

OK, that may in fact be what I am hearing. It does make me nervous about riding the wheel so that helps to defray my fears - thanks.

Yea, I have and am wearing protective gear with wrist guards at the top of my list!