DIY protecting armor for my KS-16S of paper mash

Fer9001

I am new and need to learn how to ride. So my major concerns is to avoid damaging my unit. My idea is to cover it with a layer of 5mm paper jam leaving uncovered crucial areas like led indicator and top side. Before all this the unit must be wrapped up in sort of food wrapping film to prevent the moisture enter in side.

I wouldn’t spend too much thought or other resources on the protection, you are soon going to be past the wheel-flipping period anyway, at which point you will likely wish to go with a lot less protection for the wheel.

A tried and true wheel protection is baby bumper foam strips from eBay. It comes with 2-sided tape that usually holds it in place long enough for you to wish hey weren’t there anyway...

1 hour ago, Mark1976 said:

Would paper jam pose a risk for overheating issues?

Not as a beginner.

I used an InMotion V8 cloth protector on my KS16s.  People ask.,” Is that an InMotion V8? “  NO !!!  What? Why does it say........

Thin cloth only protects so much.  If you are a wild and crazy learner like me or you just want to worry more about learning than beating up your wheel you might try using an old towel and packing tape. Just make sure that everything is clear of the wheel. Lots of packing tape. 

I keep automotive 1 inch wide door protector strips on the edges of my wheels at all times.  

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Not as a beginner.

I used an InMotion V8 cloth protector on my KS16s.  People ask.,” Is that an InMotion V8? “  NO !!!  What? Why does it say........

Thin cloth only protects so much.  If you are a wild and crazy learner like me or you just want to worry more about learning than beating up your wheel you might try using an old towel and packing tape. Just make sure that everything is clear of the wheel. Lots of packing tape. 

I keep automotive 1 inch wide door protector strips on the edges of my wheels at all times.  

PM

I use kayak foam, this model.

Seattle Sports 1/2 Bulk Foam with Adhesive, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MC9DNGA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WYEKBb4V42Z8A

The baby bumper foam just isn't thick or dense enough, plus it's expensive. Buy a block of the above for like $16, and you can cover something like three wheels almost completely.

It can look as good as you want to sink time into; I've slapped it on but I've also carefully cut and articulated it whereby it looks almost stock. A razor and a straightedge gives it that machined look.

19 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Single sheet of 20 x 15, right?

How hard is it to get the glue off?

That's the problem.

3-6 months it's coming off whether you want it to or not.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

yoga mat and double sided masking tape.

i’m plastering my z10 before i take it in the pastures.

Should be “i’m getting plastered”

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Should be “i’m getting plastered”

yeah always.

btw coincidentally i got my now every three months i’m gonna do it, lab results today.

psa still like last time, 3 months ago, 0.6

it’s nice not to think about dying all the time.

i just think about how to keep Bob happy.

This is a prototype cover for one of our "training wheels" (this one is a KS-14M, but we're looking at them for a range of wheels)...

Once we get them smoothed out and looking fantastic, would this be the sort of thing that would be of interest to anyone? 

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

This is a prototype cover for one of our "training wheels" (this one is a KS-14M, but we're looking at them for a range of wheels)...

Once we get them smoothed out and looking fantastic, would this be the sort of thing that would be of interest to anyone? 

I think kids will love this! :wub:

I made a make-shift cover out of an Amazon delivery box, but it was box shaped without the rounded corners and nice design. It scratched the plastic of my InMovion V8 and didn't do a great job of protecting it as it was too thin. It also was easily damaged. I personally like the use of the rubber bumper foam that people commonly use for this task as it works well, looks ok, and can be placed in strategic areas that leave any lights, ports and switches still visible and easy to access.

13 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Wow, really nice!  I think they'll be very popular.  Might need to make allowance for heat build-up, but even simply for storage this would be nice.  Where I live, the dust is sticky for some reason, and hard to get off.  I'd much rather clean a cover than what it covers.

11 hours ago, Nic said:

Thanks for the feedback!

29 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Wow, really nice!  I think they'll be very popular.  Might need to make allowance for heat build-up, but even simply for storage this would be nice.  Where I live, the dust is sticky for some reason, and hard to get off.  I'd much rather clean a cover than what it covers.

Thanks @Dingfelder… I'm not too concerned about the heat build-up - the shells under the covers don't warm up during riding, which says to me that heat does not dissipate through them (or at least not much).

This prototype is a reinforced neoprene (as often used when cave diving). I got it cheap so it was perfect for playing with, but it is really hard to work with (I think there is a titanium thread through it). So the "beta" covers will be a more standard (and thinner) neoprene, which I understand I can also get with small holes through it to allow it to breathe (and dissipate heat).

On 9/8/2018 at 2:44 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

On 9/8/2018 at 5:35 AM, Nic said:

Excellent job! I agree that kids would love it. Do you plan on offering a range of different colors? You’ll need to hire more people when this takes off. There must be a number of unemployed Lord Of The Rings staff you could employ to fabricate the covers. ;)

I think pedestrians will feel less intimidated when encountering a giant apple or apricot being ridden on pavement than by a high-tech unicycle with flashing lights and wobbly rider. This will help make these devices more acceptable to the public. Might help in getting legislation changed to make them legal to ride.

I would love one of these covers for the 16s. It would take a lot of apprehension away from trying more difficult things like riding backwards or harder off road routes. 

You have a sale on my end when they are ready. 

On 9/8/2018 at 2:44 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

my design for my little 9bots include two heat chimneys.

2018-09-09_09-51-452018-09-09_09-55-56

2 hours ago, Flying W said:

I would love one of these covers for the 16s. It would take a lot of apprehension away from trying more difficult things like riding backwards or harder off road routes. 

You have a sale on my end when they are ready. 

Thanks @Flying W - To help with the final design, I have a question for you...

The current cover is just one piece, so (the black part of) the handle to be removed for fitting or removal... Would this be a deterrent to you wanting one? Or would you rather have one that just slips on and is then (somehow) fastened?

I wouldn't mind removing the top of the handle, especially if it stayed put better this way, but being able to use velcro or something to take it on and off without tools may market better. My only concern would be having the disco lights still visible since my daily commute hope is always in the dark.

All I know is giving both options (rubber baby buggies bumpers vs a nice neoprene cover) I'd go for the everytime! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 2:10 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks @Flying W - To help with the final design, I have a question for you...

The current cover is just one piece, so (the black part of) the handle to be removed for fitting or removal... Would this be a deterrent to you wanting one? Or would you rather have one that just slips on and is then (somehow) fastened?

You planning on doing some for the z10s? I was thinking through how to protect it while I learned. 

9 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

You planning on doing some for the z10s? I was thinking through how to protect it while I learned. 

here’s what i’m gonna do with mine as soon as it cools off here a bit. 

i know i’m gonna be dropping the wheel a bunch when Bob and i continue our training in the pasture. 

plus, if my theory is correct my plan is gonna act like a steering damper u find on high end racing motorcycles. 

i bought an really nice yoga mat that is black and ribbed, so i’m gonna make a pattern and try to do one piece wallpapering the whole wheel leaving cutouts for the power button, the charge port etc. using a good quality double sided no residue masking tape.

waay cheaper and better than that baby foam furniture stuff.

might try to use it on the pedals if @Duf won’t 3d print me some snap on pedal protectors. that would be the bomb. has to be lightweight or else the e+/z10 magnets won’t hold the pedals up.

17 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

The Z10 will be tricky... But I'm hoping we can give it a fair crack - Once we get one here (maybe next week) we can start working something out!

Archived