Recommendations for climbing hill

wackzingo

I've been looking to buy an EUC for commuting to work. I have to commute up Yesler Way in Seattle which by my guess it gradually increases from about 3% to 18% with the greatest increase at the last block. I weight about 230 lbs and my bag weights about 15 lbs..

I really wanted to stay at or below the $1200-1400 mark so I was looking at the Kingsong 16s or one of the Inmotions but I'm not sure which ones if any of them would take me up the hill.

Is the 16s powerful enough for that?

18% grade is not very steep, fortunately. With a weight that's approaching 250-pounds I would start to consider an 18-inch wheel. I assume that you're a tall guy too, so another reason to go for 18-inches. They are generally more robust, but yes, cost more. The 16S or V10 would work, but I think the 16S would feel like it's straining more. Maybe someone with personal experience can chime in here.

At your weight, for safety, you want a very strong motor with a good battery reserve. If you want to limit yourself to KingSong, the 18L would probably be ideal.

Marty already said everything I wanted to:efefd8a002:

• 16S can do it (probably relatively easily), but the V10 is maybe better (not sure how heavy-weight tested it is). You'll want some extra oomph if possible.
  • Usually, for heavier weight riders (who also tend to be taller) we recommend 18 inchers, but they are more expensive than your limit.

How far is your commute?

I actually walk 1/2 mile down a 40% grade hill to the ferry, ride the ferry to Seattle and once there it's about 1 mile to work and starts off mostly flat for about .5 miles and gradually increases for the last .5 miles. I'm not a tall guy, 5'11 just a bit over weight. I could take the long way to the ferry in the morning and avoid the 40% hill and that would add about 1.5 - 2 miles overall or just walk it down.

23 minutes ago, wackzingo said:

I actually walk 1/2 mile down a 40% grade hill to the ferry, ride the ferry to Seattle and once there it's about 1 mile to work and starts off mostly flat for about .5 miles and gradually increases for the last .5 miles. I'm not a tall guy, 5'11 just a bit over weight. I could take the long way to the ferry in the morning and avoid the 40% hill and that would add about 1.5 - 2 miles overall or just walk it down.

Whoa. What happened to 18% grade?

In any case, I don't sense a question here. It's early days, maybe someone else will offer you some suggestions.

Hmm, I'm wondering if the Gotway MCM5 (14 inch but with a lot of torque and hill power) might be a good alternative if the distance is that short. You don't need a lot of speed (where bigger tires are better) for such a short route.

My money is on the V10, though I'm not 100% sure. It's almost a bit big for this.

1 hour ago, wackzingo said:

I've been looking to buy an EUC for commuting to work. I have to commute up Yesler Way in Seattle which by my guess it gradually increases from about 3% to 18% with the greatest increase at the last block. I weight about 230 lbs and my bag weights about 15 lbs..

I really wanted to stay at or below the $1200-1400 mark so I was looking at the Kingsong 16s or one of the Inmotions but I'm not sure which ones if any of them would take me up the hill.

If you think about price and power and versatility the Tesla might also be a good choice. It’s a beautiful EUC.

2 hours ago, wackzingo said:

Here are some details of the Tesla. Is that about what you are looking for?

2 hours ago, wackzingo said:

I "assume" the "hill" is a grass/dirt hill and not a street, since there are no streets that are 40%. I also :assume: you need to ride up said hill on the return trip?  Well since you have a work around that only adds 1.5 - 2 miles to your trip, almost any 800w or more wheel will do if 18% is as steep as it gets not counting the 40% hill. If you want something to climb a 1/2 mile long 40% dirt/grass hill then you have to go big - MSX, Tesla, ACM2, KS18L, maybe MCM5 (not sure how it would perform with a 250 lbs rider), Z10 might make the climb  but the decent could be problematic.

8 minutes ago, Jerome said:

I "assume" the "hill" is a grass/dirt hill and not a street, since there are no streets that are 40%. I also :assume: you need to ride up said hill on the return trip?  Well since you have a work around that only adds 1.5 - 2 miles to your trip, almost any 800w or more wheel will do if 18% is as steep as it gets not counting the 40% hill. If you want something to climb a 1/2 mile long 40% dirt/grass hill then you have to go big - MSX, Tesla, ACM2, KS18L, maybe MCM5 (not sure how it would perform with a 250 lbs rider), Z10 might make the climb  but the decent could be problematic.

It's definitely close to 40% and it's a road but I rarely need to take that hill home since I have a ride in the evening. I would never consider riding down it, it's hard enough walking down.

It's the 1 mile in Seattle I'm primarily concerned about with my weight being a problem for the 16s since the hill gets fairly steep the last block. I will have to carry it up 1 flight of stairs at the office and the 18 inchers all seemed a bit big for me which is why I was looking at a 14 or 16 inch if possible. 

In general, short steep sections are no problem as long as the wheel can do it (and wheels are surprisingly strong). It's the long and steep inclines that are much more critical, and that doesn't concern you for your commute.

Really the only reason I don't recommend "just get a 16S already", especially as you seem to have it on the radar and "I kind of like this one" is a very good reason to choose a wheel: I'm not entirely sure it will be pleasant to ride and a bit more powerful wheel would just feel much better. Your weight is about its reasonable limit, that AND a steep incline (even a short one)... hmm. If you're wondering if it can do it, pretty sure that will be no problem. The question is just, will it be enjoyable as an everyday thing? Or would you have wanted a bit more oomph in hindsight?

The only alternative (for the price) is the V10, and while it's more powerful, it's also physically bigger and maybe a bit too big for such a simple commute. And again, consider the MCM5 (can be had a ewheels.com for example, just isn't listed), 14 inches and a stronger motor than the 16S give amazing torque. It's light, has a cut-off button and a retractable trolley handle, maybe for such a last mile commute a smaller and more nimble wheel (think stop and go) will turn out to be better. And it will be a bit cheaper than $1300.

If you just kind of want the 16S, get that. As said, gut feeling (also concerning the design and ergonomics and whatnot) are very important factors in which wheel to choose. If you're undecided, just give it some time and think about it and get that MCM5:efee8319ab:.

Here's a link to a (European) store page so you know how the MCM5 looks: https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle/products/mcm5

Also check it out in the comparison picture in @Marty Backe's current signature - second from the right, the rightmost is a 14S which is like a bit smaller 16S, here's a link to a bigger image: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/3596-the-photo-thread/?page=106&tab=comments#comment-187210 . Also check out his Youtube videos (link in signature) about the MCM5. It's a mountain climber like no other, and since steep inclines are the limiting factor in your case, it seems perfect for a short but (partly) steep commute like yours.

(I may be biased because I kind of really want one:efee47c9c8:)

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

In general, short steep sections are no problem as long as the wheel can do it (and wheels are surprisingly strong). It's the long and steep inclines that are much more critical, and that doesn't concern you for your commute.

Really the only reason I don't recommend "just get a 16S already", especially as you seem to have it on the radar and "I kind of like this one" is a very good reason to choose a wheel: I'm not entirely sure it will be pleasant to ride and a bit more powerful wheel would just feel much better. Your weight is about its reasonable limit, that AND a steep incline (even a short one)... hmm. If you're wondering if it can do it, pretty sure that will be no problem. The question is just, will it be enjoyable as an everyday thing? Or would you have wanted a bit more oomph in hindsight?

The only alternative (for the price) is the V10, and while it's more powerful, it's also physically bigger and maybe a bit too big for such a simple commute. And again, consider the MCM5 (can be had a ewheels.com for example, just isn't listed), 14 inches and a stronger motor than the 16S give amazing torque. It's light, has a cut-off button and a retractable trolley handle, maybe for such a last mile commute a smaller and more nimble wheel (think stop and go) will turn out to be better. And it will be a bit cheaper than $1300.

If you just kind of want the 16S, get that. As said, gut feeling (also concerning the design and ergonomics and whatnot) are very important factors in which wheel to choose. If you're undecided, just give it some time and think about it and get that MCM5:efee8319ab:.

Here's a link to a (European) store page so you know how the MCM5 looks: https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle/products/mcm5

Also check it out in the comparison picture in @Marty Backe's current signature - second from the right, the rightmost is a 14S which is like a bit smaller 16S, here's a link to a bigger image: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/3596-the-photo-thread/?page=106&tab=comments#comment-187210 . Also check out his Youtube videos (link in signature) about the MCM5. It's a mountain climber like no other, and since steep inclines are the limiting factor in your case, it seems perfect for a short but (partly) steep commute like yours.

(I may be biased because I kind of really want one:efee47c9c8:)

Although I can't say how the MCM5 would handle ~250-pounds, it is a beast of little wheel, and truly the perfect commuter. Not too heavy, small, handle, trolley, cutoff switch in handle, very zippy, and can can climb better than any other wheel. The price is pretty good too.

As it happens, I am a heavier rider. And I live in a hilly area. And I ride in those hills on both a KS-16S and a KS-18L...

When I am fully kitted out (safety gear, first lunch, second lunch, et cetera) my riding weight is somewhere north of 260 ib. And the streets on the hills around here vary up to about a 20% grade in the steeper areas.

Both the 16S (which is actually rated to 330 lb) and the 18L  have no problem at all getting up everywhere I have tried. And at 15+ mph.

I agree with the comments above, that a 14" wheel wouldn't be ideal for your scenario. But it is worth commenting that I find it easier to ride up hills on the 16S!

I feel extremely comfortable riding both wheels on hills - there is more than enough power in either one to move my weight easily up even the longer hill climbs, But the 18L actually takes  more work for me to get it there. Even though there is only a 2" difference, the extra effort required is noticeable.

As so elegantly explained by @RockyTop

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Although I can't say how the MCM5 would handle ~250-pounds, it is a beast of little wheel, and truly the perfect commuter. Not too heavy, small, handle, trolley, cutoff switch in handle, very zippy, and can can climb better than any other wheel. The price is pretty good too.

Test time! Marty should strap on (no comments @Hunka Hunka Burning Love) a 75 lb fanny pack and ride the MCM5 up BB Mountain. 

I want an MCM5! Major boner for that wheel, especially in red.

I'd say the consensus is...

1. Get a 16 incher as your only wheel.

Or

2. Get a 14 incher and an 18 incher.

Or (my opinion)

3. Get a 14 incher and an eBike.

A 14 incher can replace anywhere you want to walk, within reason as these aren't all-terrain vehicles, and at a speed several times faster than what you can walk. 14 inchers can be stashed away at your work and at many destinations; 14 inchers are great "Legs 2.0".

However, wheels are inherently dangerous, and faster wheels obviously crash at higher speeds. In my opinion, the biggest wheels should be replaced by the eBike if we're looking at this from a practicality viewpoint but if you're looking at this from a fun viewpoint then just get a damned MSuper X and be done with it.

One big thing not often mentioned here is that wheels are very bad for your general health. You'll be surprised at how many physical activities wheels replace because they get you "door to door". Research on eBikes show people exercise more, not less, on eBikes because they take longer and further trips. You will get no exercise on a wheel. This may or may not be a concern with you but I had to purposefully avoid riding my wheels due to its lack of activity.

Concerning hills; I weigh the same as you and have no problems going up steep hills with any of my wheels, including the Segway S1. Just go up half speed for most hills, or much slower if you feel a brownout (the pedals dip forward on small bumps), and you'll be fine.

In practice, us heavier people will experience brownouts pretty often on the weaker wheels. I almost recommend getting a weak but reliable wheel and then beating on it so you can be experienced in recognizing and dealing with it (my reaction is to immediately throw my butt backwards, wait, and if that doesn't work bail--I don't try to catch the wheel just let it tumble being mindful of the pedals).

6 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I want an MCM5! Major boner for that wheel, especially in red.

I'd say the consensus is...

1. Get a 16 incher as your only wheel.

Or

2. Get a 14 incher and an 18 incher.

Or (my opinion)

3. Get a 14 incher and an eBike.

Agree with your recommendation.  I like that you acknowledge the downside to bigger and bigger wheels by suggesting an e-bike.  I don't like the assumption that faster and longer range wheels are the qualities that EUC makers should improve in the future because it gets away what makes EUCs so useful in the first place.  It's why I've been a fan of the Ninebot Z series.  

3 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

As a trained Lindy Hop dancer I doth protest (I do all those moves except arials).

Doing it on a unicycle would be ? hilarious. And great exercise! But seriously: we recently played ?‍♀️ handball on our unicycles. It was really great fun!

22 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

16 inch max for better torque. 

2000w motor for safety (heavy rider)

Wider tire than 2.125" (heavy rider comfort)

This means no tesla, no msx, no ks18l, no ks16.

Only leaves V10 amd V10F as your optimal wheel for the task.

Really? Have you actually ridden any of these wheels? Seems to me like you cherry picked the parameters that only the V10 can match.

Given the weight of the OP and the requirement to traverse steep hills, I would say that the V10 is not a choice worth considering until/if Inmotion fixes the overloading issue.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:17 AM, LanghamP said:

One big thing not often mentioned here is that wheels are very bad for your general health. You'll be surprised at how many physical activities wheels replace because they get you "door to door". Research on eBikes show people exercise more, not less, on eBikes because they take longer and further trips. You will get no exercise on a wheel. This may or may not be a concern with you but I had to purposefully avoid riding my wheels due to its lack of activity.

I have been riding EUCs for four months now and I have lost 20 pounds.  I was 230 and now I am 210.  I have abs now and my legs are much stronger.  Instead of driving a van around all the time I ride an EUC and on the weekend I ride my EUC on mountain bike trails and spend time with family instead of sitting home watching  TV.  I have put tens of thousands of miles on bicycles.  I am done with bicycles.  

When I was younger my Grandmother scolded me for putting Cinnamon and sugar on my apple slices.  In my head the apples were optional not the cinnamon sugar.    

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

16 inch max for better torque. 

2000w motor for safety (heavy rider)

Wider tire than 2.125" (heavy rider comfort)

This means no tesla, no msx, no ks18l, no ks16.

Only leaves V10 amd V10F as your optimal wheel for the task.

Sorry, but this statement I find a bit naive. The V10 trades in a few of the great features of the V8 for the specs you list above. So it’s a WIN SOME, LOOSE SOME with the new InmotionsAnd I am quite sure some of the V8 enthusiasts (specially people like me, who love doing tricks) will not be so happy with the V10 and might choose the Tesla over the V10, if they thrive for more power but want to be closer to the performance and positive features of their V8s.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Given the weight of the OP and the requirement to traverse steep hills, I would say that the V10 is not a choice worth considering until/if Inmotion fixes the overloading issue.

And what Marty says adds to all the above. ? 

54 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

One big thing not often mentioned here is that wheels are very bad for your general health. You'll be surprised at how many physical activities wheels replace

While that statement (if you take accidents and falls into the equation) may to some extent be true for your physical health, it is absolutely wrong for your mental health! 

I can think of few other activities (one of which is starting with an “s” ending with an “x” ?) that can give you the satisfaction you get from a stroll or cruise with an electric unicycle. And with the Z10 you build a lot of body just by carrying it around and lifting it in and out of your car.

Archived