KS18L self-balance stopped again at intersection

squirt

Okay...  This is the second time this has happened in 3 days.  While at an intersection with one foot on the pedal and another on the ground, my KS18L's self-balancing stopped working.  No warning, and no beeps.  I just felt it go limp.  This was at the 22.91km point in my ride. 

While the power was still on, I laid it down flat and picked it back up, and it didn't reset.  I moved it around a bit, then laid it down again and picked it up and it still did not reset.  About 20 seconds later, then it started self-balancing again.   From a prior post, @meepmeepmayer thought it could be the lift sensor activating incorrectly.  Because of this, I tried moving the wheel back and forth while at the light to keep it from going limp again.

This was again at one of those intersections with the fancier crosswalk buttons.  I also noticed right before it happened,  my music that I had playing through the bluetooth connection was really messing up... The music was speeding up, slowing down, and breaking up.  The music has done that on occasion before, but this time it was really bad.  At the point it happened the wheel was 57 Degrees C and the battery at 73% and 77.6V.  I had performed the handle lift sensor calibration this morning.  The previous time this happened, 2 days ago on Tuesday, I had never done a handle calibration.

Not sure what is going on, but besides stores and malls,  I don't think the KS18L likes intersections either. :unsure:  I ended up finishing my ride at 28.90km with 65% battery at 75.4V.

What is going on?  Has anyone else had anything similar happen?

Contact your dealer and get a replacement wheel or at least a very good explanation. Loss of balance is serious, and you might fall one day when you start riding (from standstill) but it won't balance then when you expect it to. Sorry, no other idea what might be wrong or what to do.

6 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

what firmware are you running?

i also expitienced the wheel stopping balancing randomly on the early FW's. due to the handle sensors.

I was running firmware version 1.10 the first time it happened... And this time it happened with 1.11.

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Contact your dealer and get a replacement wheel or at least a very good explanation. Loss of balance is serious, and you might fall one day when you start riding (from standstill) but it won't balance then when you expect it to. Sorry, no other idea what might be wrong or what to do.

Yes...  I am getting nervous about falling when I start to ride now.

The music lag before cutting out is a curious thing. Was the CPU over worked and could not keep up? If so why at a stand still?  Was the wheel anticipating a function at standstill?  Was something interfering with the Bluetooth? Other phones, street signals, passing cars.  Could something crowbar the CPU power?  (Braking compensation power lag?  Generated power/ battery power.)

How long after stopping did the wheel cut out?

@squirt

As others said: Contact your dealer, describe what happens, and at least exspect a check of the sensor!!!......have not heard that before, but the wheel just should not stop balancing! Period...

The only point i could think of is that the handle sensor is installed to strong and that little shell deflections caused by heat would make it detect a trolley lift....so perhaps it is also done with a hardware sensor adjustment! Dont exspect that to happen while driving as sensor lift detections while driving are blocked by firmware....It is not possible to activate the handle sensor while moving the wheel....

Perhaps you should forward thise thoughts to your seller as well, as that -for me- seams to be the only possible reason

!

1 hour ago, squirt said:

This is my post where I mentioned the first time this happened... on Tuesday:

I have never had this issue with my 18L. Although I have ridden it many times now, my son rides the 18L much more often than me and he has never complained of a problem like this. I am not sure if it matters, but I am still running v1.10. Could the gyro cut-out you be related to the v1.11 update perhaps?

6 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I have never had this issue with my 18L. Although I have ridden it many times now, my son rides the 18L much more often than me and he has never complained of a problem like this. I am not sure if it matters, but I am still running v1.10. Could the gyro cut-out you be related to the v1.11 update perhaps?

I had the issue 2 days ago with v1.10 and today with v1.11.

45 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

. . . How long after stopping did the wheel cut out?

Both times I was probably stopped between 30 to 45 seconds.  Less than a minute.

13 minutes ago, US69 said:

. . . Perhaps you should forward thise thoughts to your seller as well, as that -for me- seams to be the only possible reason

!

I bought the wheel through Jason.  I will probably send him an email, especially if it happens again.  It was a pretty warm day today.  I don't recall it being too warm on Tuesday when it happened the first time.

5 minutes ago, squirt said:

bought the wheel through Jason.  I will probably send him an email, especially if it happens again.  It was a pretty warm day today.  I don't recall it being too warm on Tuesday when it happened the first time.

When it is what i decribed...it is perhaps just the leaning on the sidewall...the more i think about it, i got to this conclusion!

The handle sensor is installed “to strong” and reacts on shell movements...

The self balancing stopped on me again today at an intersection.  This time I heard a beep as if I had lifted the handle.  I think what is happening is the handle is working it's way up slightly after I go over some bumps.  I think it works it's way up just enough, a quarter inch or so, to intermittently trigger the lift sensor.

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Recalibrate your trolley sensor, it fixed the same issue for me.

I did that already, as noted in my original post:

On 8/30/2018 at 2:53 PM, squirt said:

. . .  I had performed the handle lift sensor calibration this morning.   . . .

It still has cut out on me twice since then.  Maybe I have to do it again.

I think you can turn that feature off.  I would try doing that long enough to make sure that the handle is the problem. Or just tape the handle down while you ride to see if it is causing the problem. 

Archived