FALSE ADVERTISING?? Glide 2 only gets 5 mile range!!

fgads

My girlfriend and I both got the glide 2 (NOT the LITE version). It brags of 25-mile range and 260lb capacity.
I'm 200 lbs and while I don't expect a full 25 miles, I'm seriously feeling like false advertising has been exercised by InMotion.  I tried both her glide 2 and my glide 2 and both only got 5 miles.
AND it was ridden on a flat rail trail!!! No hills at all.

This really needs to be explained and addressed. I'm feeling lied to and ripped off.

4 minutes ago, fgads said:

My girlfriend and I both got the glide 2 (NOT the LITE version). It brags of 25-mile range and 260lb capacity.
I'm 200 lbs and while I don't expect a full 25 miles, I'm seriously feeling like false advertising has been exercised by InMotion.  I tried both her glide 2 and my glide 2 and both only got 5 miles.

This really needs to be explained and addressed. I'm feeling lied to and ripped off.

How may Watthours has the glide 2, please?

Normally you can cut the announced mileage on an EUC to half...thats realistic!

But a fifth? Thats not so nice...

5 minutes ago, US69 said:

How may Watthours has the glide 2, please?

Normally you can cut the announced mileage on an EUC to half...thats realistic!

But a fifth? Thats not so nice...

Battery 320 Wh

I hear ya. Id settle for half (12.5 miles) but for God sake, 5 miles is a bold faced lie. :(

1 minute ago, fgads said:

Battery 320 Wh

I hear ya. Id settle for half (12.5 miles) but for God sake, 5 miles is a bold faced lie. :(

ooh, 320 wh i would have expected between 15-18km....yeah, so at least 10miles!

From my experience over all wheels ...average consumption is 12-20wh...the bigger the wheel radius, the more consumption....

Can it be the wheels have been in stock a long time? So old battery?

28 minutes ago, US69 said:

ooh, 320 wh i would have expected between 15-18km....yeah, so at least 10miles!

From my experience over all wheels ...average consumption is 12-20wh...the bigger the wheel radius, the more consumption....

Can it be the wheels have been in stock a long time? So old battery?

I can't figure it out. I've left a comment on the Inmotion forum. They are saying it should get more but are also scapegoating by saying, "So 260lbs is the maximum load the machine can bear, but we want to make it clear that weight affects performance, so Glide 3 (or the newer V10) are recommended if you want better performance at higher loads."  That sounds to me like backpedaling to me. If they say 260 lb capacity for a Glide 2 and 25 miles it should do it if you weigh less.  I think all of us dont expect 25 miles but 5 is really really bad.  Again this happened to both Glide 2s on flat ground. 7-12 mph.

55 minutes ago, fgads said:

I guess, they advertised the range of the wheels without any rider! ? It says: “heavier riders will prefer the glide 3.”

But I would report them for false advertising anyway.

8 minutes ago, fgads said:

I can't figure it out. I've left a comment on the Inmotion forum. They are saying it should get more but are also scapegoating by saying, "So 260lbs is the maximum load the machine can bear, but we want to make it clear that weight affects performance, so Glide 3 (or the newer V10) are recommended if you want better performance at higher loads."  That sounds to me like backpedaling to me. If they say 260 lb capacity for a Glide 2 and 25 miles it should do it if you weigh less.  I think all of us dont expect 25 miles but 5 is really really bad.  Again this happened to both Glide 2s on flat ground. 7-12 mph.

From the InMotion website...

The travelling range is measured at the temperature of 25℃, about 20km/h, the payload of 70 kg and flat pavement.

If you are travelling slow and spending a long time getting from A to B the range will also be less as the unit consumes power for balancing even when not moving. Rough ground will also eat battery. What info does the InMotion app say about your trip?

When you read an InMotion’s specifications you have to assume that it will do one thing or the other.  So it will handle 260 pounds but not while moving.  It will go 25 miles but not with someone on the wheel.  It will go up a specified grade but not far and not with much weight.        

So in my expectations your results sound about right.

InMotion’s new slogans.   “A Kid’s Toys at best!” “We might out perform a hover board.”  V10 Beep Beep Beep  “ Will someone please hang up the damn phone!”  

320Wh should give a 80-90kg (175-200lbs) rider a solid 10 miles at the very least (at 20 kph or a bit more). The 245Wh IPS i5 can do that!

Since the issue is with two different wheels, not a battery problem.

Only explanation I can offer is that you have very, very low tire pressure on both wheels. Did you pump up the tires to 3 bar (or whatever it says on the tire rim)? Only user error I can imagine that would affect both wheels. EUC tires need to be filled after getting the wheel.

Usually official EUC stats border on false advertising, but this is definitely on the wrong side of this.

43 minutes ago, Nic said:

If you are travelling slow and spending a long time getting from A to B the range will also be less as the unit consumes power for balancing even when not moving. Rough ground will also eat battery. What info does the InMotion app say about your trip?

Sorry, but this just false. The slower you go, the longer a wheel's range is. Balancing is cheap, the wind resistance from speed eats the most battery.

https://www.ewheels.com/product/inmotion-v5f/  Ewheel shows lower specs for the glide two. 

Like said before, maybe the batteries have been sitting a long time and have reduced capacity.  After some more charges, the range might increase by one or two miles.  My ninebot S2 only got about 8 miles before going under 20% charge.  My weight 210lbs.   The two battery packs add up to 310 wh.  When I got the wheel, the charge was very low and It took several charges before the two packs showed nearly equal charge and discharge readings on the app.

Your range does sound low, though, but at least they both get the same range.  What are the tires set to?

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

320Wh should give a 80-90kg (175-200lbs) rider a solid 10 miles at the very least (at 20 kph or a bit more). The 245Wh IPS i5 can do that!

Since the issue is with two different wheels, not a battery problem.

Only explanation I can offer is that you have very, very low tire pressure on both wheels. Did you pump up the tires to 3 bar (or whatever it says on the tire rim)? Only user error I can imagine that would affect both wheels. EUC tires need to be filled after getting the wheel.

Usually official EUC stats border on false advertising, but this is definitely on the wrong side of this.

Sorry, but this just false. The slower you go, the longer a wheel's range is. Balancing is cheap, the wind resistance from speed eats the most battery.

I second this. Blatantly false. Go 5-mph and you can ride forever on the 320wh battery :)

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I second this. Blatantly false. Go 5-mph and you can ride forever on the 320wh battery :)

So if I spend 2 hours going nowhere, just balancing on my wheel, going back/forth a little, the battery will still be full? :rolleyes:

I am a relative newb on V8 and my speed sits mostly about 7 mph at present (very bad roads, I get overtaken by joggers) yet I manage to use 40% battery on 6 mile trip, mostly flat (some very gentle up/down on that route). Even when I practiced balancing in my corridor (3 mph?) I managed to drain the battery by simply going gently back and forth a couple of metres and I only got 2-3 hours use before the battery was down to 2 bars charge remaining (started at 4 bars). Something doesn't quite add up. :popcorn:

1 hour ago, Nic said:

So if I spend 2 hours going nowhere, just balancing on my wheel, going back/forth a little, the battery will still be full? :rolleyes:

Idling definitely drains the battery as it means accelerating almost half of the time.

1 hour ago, Nic said:

I am a relative newb on V8 and my speed sits mostly about 7 mph at present (very bad roads, I get overtaken by joggers) yet I manage to use 40% battery on 6 mile trip, mostly flat (some very gentle up/down on that route). Even when I practiced balancing in my corridor (3 mph?) I managed to drain the battery by simply going gently back and forth a couple of metres and I only got 2-3 hours use before the battery was down to 2 bars charge remaining (started at 4 bars). Something doesn't quite add up. :popcorn:

That doesn't sound far off from what I see and expect.

17 hours ago, fgads said:

Did you check the battery voltage when it is fully charged (it should be close to 84V)? I don't know whether the newest InMotion app shows voltage, but the Wheellog app does.

Then, I would try to find a smooth flat route of a-mile-or-so and record the battery voltage before and after going this route at a comfortable low speed, like 8 mph. Check the voltage also after a minute of rest in the end. A drop by 1 Volt is roughly 7-8% of the battery capacity.

Just to add, I think newb will consume more battery on same trip as experienced rider because they are less smooth in their movements and balance, causing wheel to do more work keeping them balanced. Lots of speed up and slow down for newb. If you are relaxed and smooth on your wheel you will get better range. Going off-road eats more battery. Regardless, 5 miles on V5F seems very bad.

20 minutes ago, Nic said:

Just to add, I think newb will consume more battery on same trip as experienced rider because they are less smooth in their movements and balance, causing wheel to do more work keeping them balanced.

+1

On 8/31/2018 at 6:52 AM, Nic said:

Just to add, I think newb will consume more battery on same trip as experienced rider because they are less smooth in their movements and balance, causing wheel to do more work keeping them balanced. Lots of speed up and slow down for newb. If you are relaxed and smooth on your wheel you will get better range. Going off-road eats more battery. Regardless, 5 miles on V5F seems very bad.

When I first got my 480 first wheel (V5F+/glide 2) I'd average somewhere between 5 to 9 mph with range from a full load of only around 8-12 miles, and I actually recorded those trips using the Inmotion app. 

In retrospect I was essentially doing unnecessary pendulums that burned up energy as I would slam forward, then overcorrect by slamming backwards, on and on. So, yes, the wheel does spend most of its energy balancing you but only because you do not have those gross motor skills anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 8:06 PM, Marty Backe said:

Solowheel told me to ride it from 100% to 0% which I did. They told me take screenshots of the app which I did. In the link I'm posting you can see all those screenshots. I'd like to add this they told me, as a new Rider to ride to 0% which was terrible advice as most of you riders know because at 0% the Glide 2 threw me straight to the ground (a face plant) as it lost power and caused me a giant laceration on the back of my leg cause by the foot pedals. I'm growing more and more unsatisfied with Solowheel as a company. As for the statements on tire pressure, we had our tire pressure at full capacity as specified on the side of the Wheel from the day we bought them. I think the person who mentioned the battery in both being junk might be correct. I have a feeling the Solowheels sat on their shelves for a very long time destroying the battery. I heard you're supposed to charge your Solowheel once a month whether you use it or not to keep the batteries fresh and I get the feeling the Glide 2's sat there with no one loving them for too long. I'm amazed that Solowheel hasn't responded to this thread.

Screenshots and injury photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcU8SsZDxHT1Wip77

IMG_20180831_091857.jpg

You can do a rough check that the battery capacity is ok by draining the batteries until 0% (you've done that), then time how long it takes for them to charge to full capacity. This should be close to the charging time stated in the manual. This is pretty rough, but will indicate how much charge the batteries have received to reach their rated capacity. This is the easiest way to check for battery capacity problems that I can think of. If your batteries have significantly reduced capacity, then they will reach full charge much quicker than otherwise as less charge was required to reach their full voltage. I've never tried this myself, but in theory it should work provided the charging time stated in the manual is reasonably accurate.

You don't have to charge the batteries every month to keep them fresh.  

It sure was stupid of them to tell you to ride it until 0% though.  If you are below 20% you better be careful, below 10 you better be going really slow and being super careful (I would not even do it), at 5% you are crazy to still be on the wheel.

Never mind the pressure stated on the tire, how does that compare to the pressure they recommend?  What pressure is that exactly?

Still, I would consider that wheel too small for your weight no matter what they say, but I'd expect a bit more than 5miles.  Maybe have an experienced ride,  ride it on pavement if you can.  There is so much that can affect the range.

Archived