Future and History of EUCs

Toshio Uemura

I would be interested in learning a bit about the history of EUCs. Who actually invented them? Who was the divine designer at Ninebot, who designed the Z10? 

Also this shall provide a glimpse into the future of urban transportation. ? Enjoy!

The way an EUC can climb up stairs is ingenious.

You know, I think I remember reading that Ninebot was the first one to make one. Then there were lawsuits from Segway to all the other companies. Ultimately Ninebot purchased Segway. Beyond that. That is all the information I have. Does anyone else have information to share?

Ninebot definitely wasn't the first, their first models came out sometime in 2014 I think, Shane Chen of Inventist is often quoted as being the first with the first Solowheel (released 2011). The Wikipedia-article for Electric Unicycle ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_unicycle ) says this under Commercialization:

In 2003, Bombardier announced a conceptual design for such a device used as a sport vehicle, the Embrio.[5] In September 2004 Trevor Blackwell demonstrated a functional self-balancing unicycle, using the control-mechanism similar to that used by the Segway PT and published the designs as the Eunicycle.[6] In November 2006 Janick and Marc Simeray filed a US patent for a compact seatless device,[7] the same year that Aleksander Polutnik demonstrated a first two-axis balancing human-ridable unicycle, the Enicycle.[citation needed] In 2008, Focus Designs released the first commercially available self-balancing unicycle[8] and RYNO Motors demonstrated their prototype unit.[9]

Shane Chen of Inventist launched the compact seatless 'Solowheel' in February 2011[10] and in the following month concluded a licensing agreement with the Simeray brothers[11][12] and filed a patent relating to the device[13] which was challenged by the Simeray brothers in a related patent application filed in 2015.[12]

SoloWheel may have been the first without seat, but the technology and basic operation was well known at that point. 

Under Early Experimentation, this is mentioned:

Various motorized monowheels were developed and demonstrated during the 1930s without commercial success[3] and Charles F Taylor was granted a patent for a 'vehicle having a single supporting and driving wheel' in 1964 after some 25 years of experimentation.[4]

If I have the time and enthusiasm some day, I could try to write out a timeline of the (mainstream) wheels from around 2014 to nowadays, depending how you count, I'd say the current wheel are already something like 4th or 5th generation (if the first SoloWheel & clones were Gen 1)...

This might also be interesting, older models from around 2014/2015: http://www.ewheels.org/catalog/single-wheels   You don't see these around the forums anymore (not that many of those models were popular in the first place).  Looks like the page has disappeared. Too bad, there were some pretty crazy contraptions back then :D 

2 hours ago, Esper said:

You know, I think I remember reading that Ninebot was the first one to make one. Then there were lawsuits from Segway to all the other companies. Ultimately Ninebot purchased Segway. Beyond that. That is all the information I have. Does anyone else have information to share?

That was exactly what I heard and believed without knowing any further details. The reason why I started this thread. Might be of interest to some others to learn about the roots of our hobby. I find it fascinating how someone can imagine in his mind to ride something like an EUC for the first time and then build it. So who is the mother/father of the EUC? Does anybody know?

13 minutes ago, esaj said:

f I have the time and enthusiasm some day, I could try to write out a timeline of the (mainstream) wheels from around 2014 to nowadays, depending how you count, I'd say the current wheel are already something like 4th or 5th generation (if the first SoloWheel & clones were Gen

Oh yes please do write out a timeline. This would be great information for everybody and would make a great introduction for Newbies. Can’t wait until Sunday (sorry “some day”) ?  

7 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Oh yes please do write out a timeline. This would be great information for everybody and would make a great introduction for Newbies. Can’t wait until Sunday (sorry “some day”) ?  

I wrote this short story a little while back about the "early days" (for me), that is circa 2015:

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Justin Lemire-Elmore https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNzAo0WlyEVWMKkBKTCqL6g claims to have build in 2010 an EUC which can be seen here:

The explainations regarding battery management are extremely interesting and helpful.

Archived