KS 16s first crash

mcsmiley

31 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

but it works fine now? youre not too heavy for it by any means but maybe the battery was lower than you thought (under stress, not stand still) and it was just too much for it to take causing you to over lean.. if the wheel was perfectly functional after you fell off i would say that was probably just it then. that sucks about the firmware update though, i wonder if it is just older models, or certain wheels that have this problem, because my ks16s (V2) has over 1000 km on this firmware, never an issue whatsoever rides beautifully.. you should find a way to get a short video and reach out to @US69 or kingsong directly for some answer, or possibly some way to roll back the firmware...

Thanks. I will try to make a video. 

2 minutes ago, esaj said:

Probably almost any wheel can be overleaned with enough weight (and willpower, if doing it intentionally ;)). The shaking doesn't sound normal though, I've never had any firmware updates done (early 2017 KS16S with FW 1.0), so don't know if it could be an issue with newer version or a sign of something wrong with the wheel...

Regarding pushing the wheel, what I've noticed is that each year (I only ride during the warmer months, from around end of April to end of September or so, depends on the weather / temperature), I start out more careful, but after a month or two, I'm really pushing the wheel at times. This week, I tried Wheellog and started recording my commute from work to home (well, not all of it, maybe since something like 0.5-1km after leaving), and just left it running with the phone on my pocket. I didn't think I was riding really fast or anything, but checking the results after I stopped at the front of my house:

0I7gKGA.png

I have my warnings set up at 30-32-34-35 (tiltback), and while I was riding longer streaks with the first warning playing and did hit the second and third warning at times, I didn't think my average speed was that high... There's been a couple of occasions (not in this trip though) where I've certainly pushed the wheel a bit too hard, luckily haven't faceplanted so far, but either hit a "bit-too-sudden" tiltback or just for a split second feel like the wheel isn't going to catch me. Better take it down a notch (in my own case, that is ;)).

yup thats definitely true.. but like you said, with enough weight and willpower haha, under normal circumstances its not something you normally hear of on a ks16s.. wow you have a lot of alarms on yours haha, i have only ever had one single alarm (because it wont let me turn it off) at 34 kmph.. never had anything but very pleasent and gradual tilt back so im blissfully unaware of this jarring extreme tilt back people speak of, but i have heard of it many times so i know it can do it.. one of the perks of being a 120 lb riding weight haha, that and increased battery xD 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

yup thats definitely true.. but like you said, with enough weight and willpower haha, under normal circumstances its not something you normally hear of on a ks16s.. wow you have a lot of alarms on yours haha, i have only ever had one single alarm (because it wont let me turn it off) at 34 kmph.. never had anything but very pleasent and gradual tilt back so im blissfully unaware of this jarring extreme tilt back people speak of, but i have heard of it many times so i know it can do it.. one of the perks of being a 120 lb riding weight haha, that and increased battery xD 

The extreme tilt back is certainly not pleasant, but I haven't really hit it this summer. Not that I recommend to try it, but it requires quite fast acceleration, basically in my case it means that the first warning just starts to play and then already hitting the tilt back. It's probably partially that (in my case) that usually I hear the warnings going up to first-second-third (or first-third) before the tilt back occurs, but when doing fast enough acceleration, there's not enough time for it to occur.

I'm probably around 130 pounds (60kg), I charge usually every second evening (something like 23-24km to work and back roundtrip), as the battery is down to 3 or 4 leds (I don't really use the apps, so no idea of the actual percentage value), and the warnings and tilt back start to occur earlier. Sometimes I ride it with less charge, but then I know to take it easier, because I don't want to risk pushing the wheel with low battery.

• Like 1

Just now, esaj said:

The extreme tilt back is certainly not pleasant, but I haven't really hit it this summer. Not that I recommend to try it, but it requires quite fast acceleration, basically in my case it means that the first warning just starts to play and then already hitting the tilt back. It's probably partially that (in my case) that usually I hear the warnings going up to first-second-third (or first-third) before the tilt back occurs, but when doing fast enough acceleration, there's not enough time for it to occur.

I'm probably around 130 pounds (60kg), I charge usually every second evening (something like 23-24km to work and back roundtrip), as the battery is down to 3 or 4 leds (I don't really use the apps, so no idea of the actual percentage value), and the warnings and tilt back start to occur earlier. Sometimes I ride it with less charge, but then I know to take it easier, because I don't want to risk pushing the wheel with low battery.

oh, maybe i just dont push it enough haha.. im used to riding to a less extreme than a lot of people since i never wear safety gear.. yea i dont use the app much either i just usually go off a guesstimation in my head lol.. i always have the LEDs completely off so i have no idea what the charge level truly is unless i were to check the app, but i know from a ton of experience on the 16s exactly how long i can go so ive never run out of battery

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2019 at 8:57 PM, Acácio Nuno Bernardo said:

Yes, it was not normal. I have been riding with confidence for a year with this wheel. It showed 40% battery in wheelog, so I guess it could be a bit lower. I weigh 85kg and it was a flat surface , I just learned for a quick acceleration as usual, but this time it cut like it couldn't keep up with my inclined weight forward. 

About the update, I have been postponing the upgrade, because I was afraid the ruin a good firwmare. I wish I could go back to the 1.08. Now, with the 1.09 it shakes sometimes to the front and back very quickly. It's just like you see in the KS16X demo's. It's scary. I am so afraid now, that I keep it below 30kmh

40%, 85kg and already at 95% max speed?  Factor in wind resistance, and the fact that you "leaned for a quick acceleration".  This has all the hallmarks of a voltage sag beyond what was immediately available.  I have a 16S and if my battery ever gets as low as 40% I go into conservative riding mode, to avoid stuff like this and start heading home, if not going that way already.  BTW I rarely let my battery get that low, as I've bitten the dust a few times from not having enough Amps in the bank, so I closed that account a long time ago.

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, MARIOCHI said:

HI, all of you.

Saturday I have my first crash on my 16 C

IT was quite new. The biggest error I made was to SILENCE THE VOICE CPLEADE DECELERATE".

DONT DO IT!

Face plant on asphalt.

Excellent advice, from a man who knows the consequences first hand. 😉👍🏿

• Upvote 1

I was at 40% battery.

I fall at 30km/h.!I was accelerating hard without taking care of the ring advices.

I done it many times. I don't believe it. Than I read this post.......

I am 70kg. And my kingsong 16C is quite new with 3 charge and 89km at all.

I weared a long sleeves jacket and long trousers. These garments save a bit the skin of the palms of my hands and my knees.

Now if I think I will ride faster than 15km/h, I will wear safety protections.

Edited by MARIOCHI
Errors of text and words
  • Upvote 1

Always wear wrist guards. They're tiny and they take 0 time to put on (you put them on while riding). :)

I always wear wrist guards. I wear rest of the gear only if I'm going > 20km/h.

Edited by atdlzpae

On 8/29/2018 at 1:36 PM, esaj said:

Do you always charge it to 66.1V? The cells in the packs need to be balanced every now and then (say, every 10-20 charges or such) by charging the entire pack all the way to full, otherwise one or more cells can be left at lower voltage and will drop faster than the others. Depending on the battery BMS (Battery Management System, a circuit board inside the battery pack), it can cut all power to protect the battery if single cell dips below critical threshold (which could be something like 2.5...3V per cell).

Since you have a Charge Doctor, you can use that to check the full balancing charge at times; allow it to charge to full voltage and leave the charger running until the current drops to very low values (the charger light will already show green far before that), like 0.05A or even less. It appears the balancing only starts when the voltage is already almost full, so while partial charging is otherwise good for the longevity of the battery cells, a balancing charge is still required every now and then.

Really intresting indeed !