Ultimate Z10 test(Speed test, trail test, uphill/downhill etc)

Electric Dreams

59 minutes ago, Jack Frost said:

The Ultimate Z10 test is here!
All the test you can think of: Speed test, trail test, curb test, uphill & downhill test, handle and speaker demonstration!

Full video here: https://youtu.be/t2irXnW1If0

@Marty Backewhy does the forum hate me

You are pasting formatted text. Past a plain text copy of the URL and the Forum software should then auto-expand it it.

Considering how much people love their wheels... :whistling:

For a 50 pound object to drag a 170-200 pound rider laying on the ground, I think it would likely take quite a bit of speed and momentum for that to happen unless the surface was wet/slippery/icy.  I bet the tether would likely snap before much movement occurs.  The idea is to create some sort of stopping force in the opposite direction that the wheel is going or at least tip it to the side so it has a better chance of decelerating.  Or without a tether, you can just sit and watch how that wheel careens down towards someone and laugh as it plows into a Porsche or an old couple walking along down the hill or some little kids playing... over a bridge I guess...  :whistling:  Fun's fun until you damage other people's property or injure someone else.

If one could predict unlikely events we wouldn't need to bother wearing safety gear or plan for those unforeseeable accidents.  Sure they might be infinitesimal, but I compare it to the reasons we wear helmets or use seatbelts.  I ran my usual roll a while back, and I usually do 47 along a straight stretch of road.  No one usually appears out of no where over the many times I've taken it.  Sure enough I'm flying down, and a bicyclist comes zooming through the stop sign to the right of me.  Luckily I was able to brake in time, but maybe if I had lost control and my wheel continued on, it could have hit a parked car or went careening onto the sidewalk hitting someone.  Do I use a tether?  No, but I do like to think about what future safety measures we should consider using, especially those who ride in hilly areas.  Because you just never know.  :ph34r:

When you hit that rock on the sidewalk, did you still have any control of where your wheel ended up?  Could it have hit someone riding a bike in the opposite direction or a parked car?  There's no guarantee a tether would have helped in your situation, but whether it would make things worse is difficult to say.  If the tether is attached to the handle and thigh it would be hard to get tangled up into it.

Yea, that's what I thought:efee47c9c8: There's a difference between "unlikely" and "there is zero indication this might help, and there never has been any reported incident that could have been prevented with this". Please inform me if that ever changes:efee47c9c8:

Until then, I think something that would have made every harmless run-off I've had so far a fall is stupid (and worse, unsafe):efeed51798: (this would be actual, empiric evidence speaking against the thing, as opposed to "but what if..."s that never happened).

I'll give the tether some merit on dedicated mountain rides to prevent the wheel from tumbling down God knows where into the distance. That's about it. It still makes riding less safe there, but you can balance that against the benefit as you're slower anyways so the consequences of a fall are less severe. Anywhere else, I don't see the point. Or to be more precise, people who prefer a tether shall use one to their heart's content, and I'm blaming nobody for experimenting. Experiments are great! Even stupid ones. I would blame people for blindly recommending it to others, though, or even suggesting they should have one.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but to me, that thing is an unnecessary accident waiting to happen. I don't like that.

28 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

If one could predict unlikely events we wouldn't need to bother wearing safety gear or plan for those unforeseeable accidents.  Sure they might be infinitesimal, but I compare it to the reasons we wear helmets or use seatbelts.  I ran my usual roll a while back, and I usually do 47 along a straight stretch of road.  No one usually appears out of no where over the many times I've taken it.  Sure enough I'm flying down, and a bicyclist comes zooming through the stop sign to the right of me.  Luckily I was able to brake in time, but maybe if I had lost control and my wheel continued on, it could have hit a parked car or went careening onto the sidewalk hitting someone.  Do I use a tether?  No, but I do like to think about what future safety measures we should consider using, especially those who ride in hilly areas.  Because you just never know.  :ph34r:

When you hit that rock on the sidewalk, did you still have any control of where your wheel ended up?  Could it have hit someone riding a bike in the opposite direction or a parked car?  There's no guarantee a tether would have helped in your situation, but whether it would make things worse is difficult to say.  If the tether is attached to the handle and thigh it would be hard to get tangled up into it.

I'm with @meepmeepmayer. You'll never catch me dead with an ankle strap tying me to my wheel. I'm about as likely (less so) to injure a pedestrian as a bicyclist, and you don't see them going out of their way to protect non-bicyclists.

Really, there are a vast number of bicyclists in the world that make EUCs essentially non-existent. Considering how many pedestrians are not injured by bicyclists, the number of pedestrians not injured by EUCs is just about infinite.

If a bicyclist hits a pedestrian, it's their weight plus the bicycle. In the Western world that has to be a 200 plus pound projectile, compared to our typical ~40-pound EUC projectile.

We make the world safer, one EUC at a time :D

I think as EUC popularity increases, the chances of something bad happening likely increases statistically.  Just going by random videos like Ron from Miami, and even your video of the Z10 falling down the hill somewhere, it's not too far-fetched to see how someone or something nearby could potentially be injured or damaged.  In this case I hope that I'm wrong about the whole tether thing, but some San Franners... er.. Ciscoites... do seem to see value in using a tether.  There were also those German riders on the MSuper V2's who rode with tethers when they went offroading along steep cliffs to avoid losing their wheels in the case of a fall.

A tether may not be the best solution, but at least it's something to help in the unlikely event rider is separated from wheel.  Plus I thought you once said "Never say never?"  :whistling: 

Cool, I can make my own club now:efee612b4b: Thanks Marty!:efeebb3acc: Biggest danger with bikes is their handle in kidney height. EUCs are ankle biters at best, unless they would really bump high into the air. But you got my gist, it is not our job to prevent any infinitesimal (imaginary?) danger to others, especially at a (possibly) real cost of our own safety. People have to adapt to EUCs and other new ridables as well, not just we to them. Best recipe to prevent accidents is still simply slowing down. That and trying to ride so one wouldn't hit people if anything happened at any time as well.

To not derail this thread and the nice video they made, Marty can you say something about the uphill torque of the Z vs the msX and compare it to your 16 inchers? How big are the differences?

10 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think as EUC popularity increases, something bad happening likely increase statistically.  Just going by random videos like Ron from Miami, and even your video of the Z10 falling down the hill somewhere, it's not too far-fetched to see how someone or something nearby could potentially be injured or damaged.  In this case I hope that I'm wrong about the whole tether thing, but some San Franners... er.. Ciscoites... do seem to see value in using a tether.  There were also those German riders on the MSuper V2's who rode with tethers when they went offroading along steep cliffs to avoid losing their wheels in the case of a fall.

A tether may not be the best solution, but at least it's something to help in the unlikely event rider is separated from wheel.  Plus I thought you once said "Never say never?"  :whistling: 

I'll say it again, real men don't use tethers :lol:

7 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Cool, I can make my own club now:efee612b4b: Thanks Marty!:efeebb3acc: Biggest danger with bikes is their handle in kidney height. EUCs are ankle biters at best, unless they would really bump high into the air. But you got my gist, it is not our job to prevent any infinitesimal (imaginary?) danger to others, especially at a (possibly) real cost of our own safety. People have to adapt to EUCs and other new ridables as well, not just we to them. Best recipe to prevent accidents is still simply slowing down. That and trying to ride so one wouldn't hit people if anything happened at any time as well.

To not derail this thread and the nice video they made, Marty can you say something about the uphill torque of the Z vs the msX and compare it to your 16 inchers? How big are the differences?

My Z10 feels comparable to my MSuper V3s+. I haven't yet had the opportunity to take the MSX riding in the hills, so no comment there. I think the Z10 is in the middle of the 18-inch pack, regarding torque. The 16-inch and smaller wheels will always win the torque competition, from my experience. And the difference is substantial. My ACM has always been great in the mountains - not having to think about it in difficult conditions. My KS14S even better. And the MCM5 of course is from another universe - I think it taps into a different gravitational constant :D

12 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think as EUC popularity increases, the chances of something bad happening likely increases statistically.  Just going by random videos like Ron from Miami, and even your video of the Z10 falling down the hill somewhere, it's not too far-fetched to see how someone or something nearby could potentially be injured or damaged.  In this case I hope that I'm wrong about the whole tether thing, but some San Franners... er.. Ciscoites... do seem to see value in using a tether.  There were also those German riders on the MSuper V2's who rode with tethers when they went offroading along steep cliffs to avoid losing their wheels in the case of a fall.

San Francisquinns  :roflmao:

11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You’re killing me here, Marty.  :crying:  There goes our exclusive MB EUC tether line of accessories!

Not really!  But only sellable in San Francisco (where all the hills are)  ;)

Archived