Electric Aircraft

Esper

I had been looking into this for about an hour and wanted to share what I found.

I learned that there are quite a few electric vehicles capable of flight being manufactured by various companies. NASA is one, Boeing is another. There are more but not noteable enough that the name would be recognisable. 

Here is a futuristic looking vehicle.

vahana-concept.jpg

vahana-fullscale.jpg

There have also been a few other experimentals up here in Seattle recently. Uber is planning on getting a passenger drone service that will be up in a couple years for demo in California. I am not sure if they will go the electric route or petrol. I think in about 15 years we will see tons of things from science-fiction movies come to life. I'm excited and thrilled and hope to just be able to see all the changes we create in the years to come. You hear that? That's the future calling.

On 8/28/2018 at 8:04 PM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Don't forget the EHang.  :popcorn:  I wonder what happens if a bird gets accidentally choppered up in those exposed blades.  Would it still be able to fly with a damaged rotor?

The rotors would cut through any bird strike like a lawnmower hitting a branch.

I am curious about the power/ transmission setup being the rotors are smaller than those on normal size helicopters. These rotor blades are not large enough to create adequate inertia to autorotate to the ground in the event of a power failure.

My blades on the Bell 47 were so large the stored up inertia allowed me to chop the power and gently autorotate the ship to the ground. 

3 hours ago, Esper said:

That looks so silly Toshio. lol. The landing maneuver is hilarious. It reminds me of a Sea Lion. 

Yes and imagine you could really buy one of those for the price of an SUV two or three years from now. Wouldn’t you want such a Sea Lion? I always wanted to fly. When I was nine I fixed lots of balloons ? on one of our garden chairs hoping it would lift off. Fortunately it didn’t. My parents just shaked their heads, but I haven’t given up on my childish dream. So yes, sea lion ? here I come. ? 

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

The rotors would cut through any bird strike like a lawnmower hitting a branch.

I am curious about the power/ transmission setup being the rotors are smaller than those on normal size helicopters. These rotor blades are not large enough to create adequate inertia to autorotate to the ground in the event of a power failure.

My blades on the Bell 47 were so large the stored up inertia allowed me to chop the power and gently autorotate the ship to the ground. 

One shouldn’t be a problem. Two failing on the same arm would be fatal. The ultimate face plant, if you’d forgotten your umbrella ? ☂  ? But there would be an emergency parasol or may be even a parachute.

2 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

One shouldn’t be a problem. Two failing on the same arm would be fatal. The ultimate face plant, if you’d forgotten your umbrella ? ☂  ? But there would be an emergency parasol or may be even a parachute.

I agree if each rotor is powered independently. If one transmission shaft is powering each of 2 blades then both rotors could fail simultaneously.

I’ve had two separate power failures when piloting a chopper and it was nice to look overhead and see my rotors still turning through the entire emergency procedure. 

Suppose that particular passenger drone could support an emergency parachute that ejected from the center of the body. The Cirrus airplane has saved numerous lives with their chute design. 

29433954677_7a1e8225b8_b.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I agree if each rotor is powered independently. I

I suppose this thing is powered like the camera drones are with individual motors. In this case 8 individual motors. if there would be transmission shafts like in helicopters I would never get on one of these things. And I still wouldn’t even with individual motors, as this thing looks ugly. I‘d prefer the sea lion! ? 

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Yes and imagine you could really buy one of those for the price of an SUV two or three years from now. Wouldn’t you want such a Sea Lion? I always wanted to fly. When I was nine I fixed lots of balloons ? on one of our garden chairs hoping it would lift off. Fortunately it didn’t. My parents just shaked their heads, but I haven’t given up on my childish dream. So yes, sea lion ? here I come. ? 

I agree yet this is already a possibility. There is an airplane I want that is $35,000 new. That is about the cost of a brand new car these days. Plus, the plane can land on water or ground.

2 hours ago, Esper said:

I agree yet this is already a possibility. There is an airplane I want that is $35,000 new. That is about the cost of a brand new car these days. Plus, the plane can land on water or ground.

Are the aircraft’s wings made of styrofoam and it’s powered by an electric fan? Do you have any info? I’m assuming it must be some version of an ultralight. 

22 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Are the aircraft’s wings made of styrofoam and it’s powered by an electric fan? Do you have any info? I’m assuming it must be some version of an ultralight. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quikkit_Glass_Goose
The airplane is a 'kit plane' which is why it is so cheap. You get the parts and assemble it yourself. The overall time it takes to finish is ~1000 hours. Price is actually $32,500 But round up to $35,000 because of the tools and equipment. I think the motor also comes separately.
There is one that is fully built for sale at a little over $80k

Just for a little more info. There is a monthly magazine that's called Kit Planes. If you are interested in getting a plane for cheap and wouldn't mind building one yourself. Get a subscription to the magazine and look it over until you find one that you like! 

1 hour ago, Esper said:

The airplane is a 'kit plane' which is why it is so cheap.

Unfortunately just the Lycoming engine used to power that aircraft would cost $25-30k new. There are cheaper used engines available but after building 2 helicopters I felt more comfortable flying with a zero hour power plant.

Most experiential aircraft can be purchased in stages so you can accomplish a great deal of work before requiring the other expensive components such as the engine and avionics. Even upholstering can cost between $5-10K. Not a cheap hobby. 

Here is my Oshkosh Grand Champion.

Dsc00022.JPG

20 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Unfortunately just the Lycoming engine used to power that aircraft would cost $25-30k new. There are cheaper used engines available but after building 2 helicopters I felt more comfortable flying with a zero hour power plant.

:cry2: Thanks for destroying my dream :crying:

24 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Most experiential aircraft can be purchased in stages so you can accomplish a great deal of work before requiring the other expensive components such as the engine and avionics. Even upholstering can cost between $5-10K. Not a cheap hobby. 

Here is my Oshkosh Grand Champion.

Dsc00022.JPG

Wowww! Super ? cool! I must come visit you ..  ? 

34 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Wowww! Super ? cool! I must come visit you ..  ? 

That was in 2002. I then sold the helicopter and it jumped between a few countries  ending up in Lithuania I believe. Unfortunately it crashed killing both the pilot and passenger. 

36411039315_ac95c208c8_b.jpg

43658759124_3372eaa0d8_b.jpg

Here’s the full report on my ship N557XS.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=145624

7 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

That was in 2002. I then sold the helicopter and it jumped between a few countries  ending up in Lithuania I believe. Unfortunately it crashed killing both the pilot and passenger. 

36411039315_ac95c208c8_b.jpg

43658759124_3372eaa0d8_b.jpg

Here’s the full report on my ship N557XS.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=145624

That’s really tragic. Sounds like someone over there did a bad maintenance job. What a shame. Such a beautiful heli. ? 

On 8/30/2018 at 7:13 PM, Rehab1 said:

I heard some pilots flying tourists in places regularly train autorotating (without the passengers or air control knowing) during the sight-seeing tours :D 

The Finnish Atol Avion is building a new ultralight (plane, not a chopper) in collaboration with some US company:

rovaniemi1.053.jpg

https://atol.fi/

But it's not electric, I think they tried it with an electric motor at some point. Not a cheap hobby there either:

"The current base price for an ATOL 650 LSA with standard equipment is EUR 169,000.00.
A reservation deposit, which guarantees your production slot, is EUR 5,000.00

All prices displayed exclude VAT"

Archived