IPS i5 Max speed

codersarepeople

Hi all,

I recently bought an IPS i5. The website said Max speed is 23 kmh=14.2 mph through a firmware update. I had some trouble updating the firmware with the Android app, but managed to upgrade it to 5.0.9 with a borrowed iPhone.

However, it still says Max speed is 20 kmh. Does anybody know how to increase the max speed?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, steve454 said:

I checked two websites aliexpress and speedyfeet and they both say 20kmh top speed.  Where did you see 23kmh on the IPS website?  https://ipselectricunicycle.com/i5/

Maybe @Hsiang knows, he has been making some great video reviews on the I5.

Glad you enjoyed the videos!

I had to actually run out to ride it just to make sure. But the max speed is really 20 km/h, that's what the official website says as well. From experimenting, the scooter beeps at 20 km/h but will tilt back at 23 km/h so it is "top speed" but unless you want to wear ear plugs and risk riding the tilt back 23 km/h isn't really sustainable.

I was also a bit confused by this, since it was listed on Ewheel's page. 

I see. I was confused because ewheels claims 14.2 mph which is 23. It's just a bit annoying to me because I don't want it beeping at me constantly as I ride around, but was expecting 14.2. I am < 130 lbs so I feel pretty secure riding til I feel tiltback but the beep would get annoying to me and others. I might consider removing the speaker...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, Hsiang said:

Glad you enjoyed the videos!

I had to actually run out to ride it just to make sure. But the max speed is really 20 km/h, that's what the official website says as well. From experimenting, the scooter beeps at 20 km/h but will tilt back at 23 km/h so it is "top speed" but unless you want to wear ear plugs and risk riding the tilt back 23 km/h isn't really sustainable.

I was also a bit confused by this, since it was listed on Ewheel's page. 

Please, do you know how to get rid of the beep?  I'm 200 pounds and the beep starts at 18 kmh! ?

That's rough. I was told I might get access to the firmware that pushes the beep up to 23 kmh. If I don't I'll probably cut the speaker wire, since I'm light enough. At 200 lbs, I'd say you shouldnt do that though. If the beep is starting below 20 kmh, it's a power warning, not a speed warning.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 12:00 AM, codersarepeople said:

Confused because ewheels claims 14.2 mph which is 23. It's just a bit annoying to me because I don't want it beeping at me constantly as I ride around, but was expecting 14.2. I a

Please hang in there, IPS have promised to rerelase the FW update, for a week, with the higher speed. Evidently, the trouble is that CN has a 20kph max speed rule & they don't want the higher speed being pushed out for Customer in China. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Please hang in there, IPS have promised to rerelase the FW update, for a week, with the higher speed. Evidently, the trouble is that CN has a 20kph max speed rule & they don't want the higher speed being pushed out for Customer in China. 

Those are excellent news!  Thank you!!!!

Great!  I got a message today and updated the firmware.  Now the wheel is faster!  I was getting a cruise speed of 17-18 km/h (and then the beep started).  Now I'm getting 20-21 km/h (and I'm 205 pounds).  This wheel is so good and so underrated!

19 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

That's rough. I was told I might get access to the firmware that pushes the beep up to 23 kmh. If I don't I'll probably cut the speaker wire, since I'm light enough. At 200 lbs, I'd say you shouldnt do that though. If the beep is starting below 20 kmh, it's a power warning, not a speed warning.

Great!  I got a message today and updated the firmware.  Now the wheel is faster!  I was getting a cruise speed of 17-18 km/h (and then the beep started).  Now I'm getting 20-21 km/h (and I'm 205 pounds).  This wheel is so good and so underrated!

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 9:00 PM, codersarepeople said:

I see. I was confused because ewheels claims 14.2 mph which is 23. It's just a bit annoying to me because I don't want it beeping at me constantly as I ride around, but was expecting 14.2. I am < 130 lbs so I feel pretty secure riding til I feel tiltback but the beep would get annoying to me and others. I might consider removing the speaker...

I got a message today and updated the firmware.  Now the wheel is faster!  I was getting a cruise speed of 17-18 km/h (and then the beep started).  Now I'm getting 20-21 km/h (and I'm 205 pounds).  This wheel is so good and so underrated!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kelly Truong said:

I tried to update the firmware several times, but it seems to not stick. I'll download it, and it'll say finished, and then when I go back in the app, it's like I haven't downloaded at all. Anyone having this problem on the iphone?

I used the android app downloaded from http://www.iamips.com/apps/ .

The firmware version I had before ended with 9.  After the update, the firmware ends with 8.  Seems like it's a downgrade that makes it faster.

Note when you're updating the wheel must be still.  I leaned it against the wall.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 10:34 PM, Gustesta said:

I used the android app downloaded from http://www.iamips.com/apps/ .

The firmware version I had before ended with 9.  After the update, the firmware ends with 8.  Seems like it's a downgrade that makes it faster.

Note when you're updating the wheel must be still.  I leaned it against the wall.

This is the app I was looking for! Because on speedyfeet's review this is what the app looked like and he got it up to 23 km/h. Unfortunately, I have 5.0.9 and it says firmware is up to date :/

On 9/7/2018 at 9:31 PM, Kelly Truong said:

I tried to update the firmware several times, but it seems to not stick. I'll download it, and it'll say finished, and then when I go back in the app, it's like I haven't downloaded at all. Anyone having this problem on the iphone?

I had the exact same issue on Android, but borrowing an iPhone fixed it. You should try using the app linked above and see if that helps at all...

1 minute ago, codersarepeople said:

This is the app I was looking for! Because on speedyfeet's review this is what the app looked like and he got it up to 23 km/h. Unfortunately, I have 5.0.9 and it says firmware is up to date :/

I guess you missed the 12 hours window when the firmware downgrade was available!  Sorry

9 hours ago, Gustesta said:

I guess you missed the 12 hours window when the firmware downgrade was available!  Sorry

Quick question: After the upgrade/downgrade, what is the new top speed you were able to set it to? I've hacked the apk a bit and gotten 25 km/h but I would like to keep it at 23 km/h if that's what the official apk has...

9 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

Quick question: After the upgrade/downgrade, what is the new top speed you were able to set it to? I've hacked the apk a bit and gotten 25 km/h but I would like to keep it at 23 km/h if that's what the official apk has...

In the app I just can choose 20 km/h.  But in reality, after the update, it goes beyond that, till 23 km/h.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 9:38 AM, Gustesta said:

In the app I just can choose 20 km/h.  But in reality, after the update, it goes beyond that, till 23 km/h.  

Do you mean that it starts beeping at 23km/h? Or does it tilt back at 23km/h? My still beeps at 20 and an extra 3km would be nice.

4 hours ago, Hsiang said:

Do you mean that it starts beeping at 23km/h? Or does it tilt back at 23km/h? My still beeps at 20 and an extra 3km would be nice.

Mine starts beeping at 22km, then I deaccelerate.  I never felt a tilt back because I never went 23.

• 5 months later...
On 2/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, jitesar said:

Strange, this is max speed I see now.

Haven't measure it yet.

I think it has changed somehow when it had total distance about 100km.

D7046BA4-AA18-43C6-9A5A-18DB4ACA1859.png

062AAF54-16F2-4D96-840A-ED6953A34F24.png

Is that a new firmware update?  Have you tested it?

Thanks

It is 8.0.3 and it is there from the beginning. IPS servers are unreachable, I think same as all the IPS company.

I'm curious if this max speed is true. I haven't measured it outside as I dedicated this wheel only for in house playing. Because of critically missing motor sealing.

This is what I had there from beginning: max speed 20km/h.

Now the app can change it to 30km/h (same firmware, only I have more then 100km, could it be related??). But maybe this is only app and reality is still around 20km/h.

FCA17DF6-5C6F-42A3-B688-6952A2C4880B.png

Edited by jitesar

On 2/25/2019 at 11:35 PM, jitesar said:

I'm curious if this max speed is true.

You don't want to be at 30km/h with a I5, which lacks motor power and battery power to provide safety at this speed.