So, how do I repair a tire puncture in the Z10?

JBoo

Well @Marty Backe @Nic I’ll be testing out my wheel with the super glue fix later.. I’ve pumped it back to 30 PSI and left it over night with no noticeable leaks. Gonna try some riding over uneven surfaces to test if the Superglue holds or would it get scraped off..? 

Also, my local petrol station sells that UV light curing wonder glue, wondering ? if it would work better.. Anyhow I’ll update again once ice tested the wheel out some.. Wouldn’t want to be stranded somewhere with a leak cos the fix isn’t hardy enough!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Nic said:

But I would ask how you know your slime repairs are permanent?

More than once, Slime has fixed a puncture and kept my tire full moving forward. I have multiple tires that I have repaired with Slime that are going strong to this day after many months, even more than a year. I'm not sure how you want to define permanent... But in my definition, Slime flat-out works and I will not run any EUC without it.

6 hours ago, who_the said:

More than once, Slime has fixed a puncture and kept my tire full moving forward. I have multiple tires that I have repaired with Slime that are going strong to this day after many months, even more than a year. I'm not sure how you want to define permanent... But in my definition, Slime flat-out works and I will not run any EUC without it.

'Permanent' would be like a cocaine addict ... they feel fine ... as long as they keep taking it! :w00t2:

Good info ... I'll be putting slime in my V8 (maybe, see below). :cheers:

Something else to consider is that Slime is only effective for up to 2 years (according to the manufacturer) as it will dry out in that period and so will need to be replaced. EUC inner tubes are not cheap at £20 GBP each + £10 GBP for new slime (that's about $40 USD every 2 years). Can you remove dried slime from an inner tube? For tubeless tyres, only the slime needs replaced so a lot less expensive though a bit messy to clean.

3 hours ago, Nic said:

'Permanent' would be like a cocaine addict ... they feel fine ... as long as they keep taking it! :w00t2:

Good info ... I'll be putting slime in my V8 (maybe, see below). :cheers:

Something else to consider is that Slime is only effective for up to 2 years (according to the manufacturer) as it will dry out in that period and so will need to be replaced. EUC inner tubes are not cheap at £20 GBP each + £10 GBP for new slime (that's about $40 USD every 2 years). Can you remove dried slime from an inner tube? For tubeless tyres, only the slime needs replaced so a lot less expensive though a bit messy to clean.

My Mten3 tube had a rupture after about 8-months. There was no evidence that the Slime was drying. I think they are being ultra conservative when they say it lasts 2-years. Just like food expiration's, medicine, etc.

What causes Slime to dry out? It doesn't dry in the bottle sitting on the shelf? It dries as air escapes from the tube and is refilled. I don't know about you, but most of my tires don't lose much air. I've only added air to my Monster tire once in 20-months. So the Slime in that tire should be perfect.

My sense is that road bikes lose air faster and are being pumped up a lot more than our EUC tires. At least that's the case with most of my EUCs.

Slime does eventually dry inside of a tire, depending on different variables. Sometimes a thing called a "slime monster" forms, which is a oddly shaped rubber ball of dried slime that can eventually start rolling around inside the tire and presents itself as a whirring noise when spinning. Old dried slime can be rubbed out of the tire when necessary, but often just adding a couple of ounces of fresh slime through the valve stem is the simple solution for slime that is starting to dry out or if there isn't enough to fix a puncture. Be sure to clean inside the stem threads before screwing the valve stem back in. Tubeless tires with slime very rarely get flats compared to innertubes..

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't know about you, but most of my tires don't lose much air.

Keeping an intact tyre more airtight is most likely another advantage of Slime. I have been slightly disappointed by the performance of Slime lately and hence trying a different sealant now

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magmaseal-puncture-Puncture-Tubeless-covering/dp/B0742CRDYJ

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

My sense is that road bikes lose air faster and are being pumped up a lot more than our EUC tires. At least that's the case with most of my EUCs.

Yes, road bike tyres need topping up about once a month. Really what we need is tough puncture proof tyres that can take a beating. EUC tyre sizes are not common so there aren't a lot of options available to choose from at present.

8 hours ago, Mono said:

Keeping an intact tyre more airtight is most likely another advantage of Slime.

Absolutely true..

8 hours ago, Mono said:

I have been slightly disappointed by the performance of Slime lately and hence trying a different sealant now

I've been using Stan's for a while, seems really good. One thing to remember is to always shake the sealant well absolutely just before squirting it in. The active particles are in a suspension, and if not shaken well a dose might not have enough of the ability to seal if it is too diluted.

• 2 weeks later...

My slime came in, easily filled the wheel with 8oz.  Don't feel any difference when cruising, at both low and high speeds. I don't think that 8oz matters much compared to how heavy the Z10 itself already is lol... Definitely feel more confident going off track now that I'm all slimed up!

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Damarafaka said:

From the comments is it reasonable to assume that ninebot is not shipping replacement parts/tires for the time being?

Reasonable.  Seems to be the case right now, although I heard an Asian dealer  got his hands on one , or m]possibly more.  Even if they did though changing the tire would be quite involved with the Z10, best to try the easy approach first. If you leave a little xtra in there or do it proactively, it may prevent a serious issue in the first place.  

On 8/27/2018 at 8:43 PM, Mmhmmm said:

Absolutely true..

I've been using Stan's for a while, seems really good. One thing to remember is to always shake the sealant well absolutely just before squirting it in. The active particles are in a suspension, and if not shaken well a dose might not have enough of the ability to seal if it is too diluted.

I've had very good luck with Stans (even after it sat in my basement for a couple years) on my MiniPro (tubeless), and my bike (tube).  Very happy with Stan's, but I have several other sealants that have worked in other situations, just have not had enough flats to complete testing yet.  Stan's though impressed me; since even aged, it has worked on the Tubes and Tubless. 

I guess I'm not the only one with flat tire problems in Seattle. These streets are harsh on us. I had 10 flats in 2 months and people assumed it was my riding habit. I've been telling you all. Seattle has poor road conditions. Don't visit here for the next 5 years or so. Let the construction die down.

Slime can actually dry up! I used a 8oz in the mini pro 1/2 bottle in each tire... The last cut I got I didn't see any slime come out of the hole... Well it was time to replace the tires anyways for hybrids.... When I took off the bad tire, Slime had solidified but the other tire that wasn't flat was full of green water.... yes if I had put more slime into the bad tire it would have fixed the problem... But anyone that took off a mini Tire would know those tires are freaking paper thin!!!? quite frankly ninebot should get rid of the tires and use hybrid Tires Only!!!

Archived