So, how do I repair a tire puncture in the Z10?

JBoo

11 minutes ago, JBoo said:

You’ll need the following:

These are the steps:

1. Remove the object that punctured the tire if it is still embedded
  2. Carefully unscrew the valve core with the valve tool (don’t use the one on the slime bottle, it’s too short and rather crappy)
  3. Gently pull the valve core out with the needle nose pliers
  4. Make sure all the air is out of the tire
  5. Using the tube that comes with the slime, squeeze in 8oz of slime
  6. Gently replace the valve core with the needle nose pliers
  7. Careful screw the valve core back in place with the valve core tool
  8. Pump air into the tire
  9. Now the next part varies on whether you know where the puncture is or not.  If you know, roll the tire until the puncture is facing the ground, then wait a few moments for the slime to cover it.  As soon as it does, the air should stop leaking.  If you don’t know where the puncture is, quickly spin the tire to evenly distribute the slime.

Assuming all goes well, you should be good to roll at this point!

:clap3:

Thank you very much. I'm sorry that you had to be the first, but you've helped me a lot. I wanted to preemptively put Slime in mine, but was unsure how I was going to deal with the hard to access valve stem. And then, would Slime work.

You've answered all my questions. I'm going to get that core remover and Slime my tire now.

Thanks again :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, justanut said:

Sadly these are all not readily available where I am.. gonna try with what I am able to get my hands on...

So... I decided to deflate the Tyre and pump Super glue over the tiny pin prick.. let it dry and inflated the Tyre.. no leaks! Lol.. interim solution till I get Amazon to ship me the valve core extractor and some slime ?

19 minutes ago, justanut said:

So... I decided to deflate the Tyre and pump Super glue over the tiny pin prick.. let it dry and inflated the Tyre.. no leaks! Lol.. interim solution till I get Amazon to ship me the valve core extractor and some slime ?

Cool. Hey, whatever works to get you on the road again. Congrat's on thinking outside the box :D

I would use Superglue to fix your tyre. Its much stronger than slime or any kind of rubber cement. Very easy to carry a small tube in your kit for emergencies. Seriously, this stuff is amazing on rubber. Slime is messy and only suitable for pin pricks not cuts. I found this on YouTube to help you out ... its a 1 minute job, and you don't even need to remove your tyre!

5 hours ago, Nic said:

I would use Superglue to fix your tyre. Its much stronger than slime or any kind of rubber cement. Very easy to carry a small tube in your kit for emergencies. Seriously, this stuff is amazing on rubber. Slime is messy and only suitable for pin pricks not cuts. I found this on YouTube to help you out ... its a 1 minute job, and you don't even need to remove your tyre!

I'm going to take your advice and carry some superglue. Thanks.

But I have to disagree with your commentary about Slime. Did you see the picture above with the rather large gash (not pin prick hole) in the Z10 tire, and Slime fixed it?

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm going to take your advice and carry some superglue. Thanks.

But I have to disagree with your commentary about Slime. Did you see the picture above with the rather large gash (not pin prick hole) in the Z10 tire, and Slime fixed it?

Slime is messy if you need to replace your tyre. Its also not a permanent repair. Superglue repair is permanent, quick and clean. I wouldn't even bother with the Slime as its completely unnecessary for tubeless tyres provided you carry some superglue around with you.

Slime FAQ

What type of punctures will Slime Tire Sealant seal?

Slime Tire Sealant will seal punctures up to ¼” (6mm). The puncture must occur in the tread area of the tire since Slime cannot reach or seal punctures outside of the tread area. Slime will not seal bead leaks or large punctures.

If you are installing Slime to repair an existing puncture, we recommend checking the tire for puncturing objects and removing any if found. Re-inflate the tire and immediately rotate it. This forces the sealant to flow around the inner tube or tire allowing it to locate and repair the puncture. Be sure to check your valve to ensure air loss is not occurring at this source. Slime is intended to be used as a temporary emergency repair in passenger vehicles.

4 minutes ago, Nic said:

Slime is messy if you need to replace your tyre. Its also not a permanent repair. Superglue repair is permanent, quick and clean. I wouldn't even bother with the Slime as its completely unnecessary for tubeless tyres provided you carry some superglue around with you.

Slime FAQ

EUCs aren’t passenger vehicles, and for the class they exist in (scooters, lawn equipment, etc.) it is a practical repair and preventative treatment ;)  However great it might be, I’d never use superglue as a permanent puncture fix in my truck tires :D

12 minutes ago, JBoo said:

EUCs aren’t passenger vehicles, and for the class they exist in (scooters, lawn equipment, etc.) it is a practical repair and preventative treatment ;)  However great it might be, I’d never use superglue as a permanent puncture fix in my truck tires :D

Now that you've got some Slime on order you might as well put it to use.;)

30 minutes ago, Nic said:

Slime FAQ

I'm riding on a MSuper V3 tire with multiple punctures that Slime has fixed. At least one of those punctures is over a year old. Good enough for me.

But we can agree to disagree regarding Slime's effectiveness.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm riding on a MSuper V3 tire with multiple punctures that Slime has fixed. At least one of those punctures is over a year old. Good enough for me.

Does slime affect the wheel balance if it is not evenly distributed 

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm not disagreeing with you ... yes, slime is effective and you will never even notice when you get a puncture. Even if that puncture leaks again more sealant will quickly close the leak. It has its uses, but it isn't the same as properly repairing a puncture. A slime repair will need to have slime in the tyre or it could start leaking again. Just offering my opinion that's all.

Is MSuper V3 tyre tubeless? If there is a tube in there, then Slime is ideal as you won't need to remove your wheel to fix it.

1 minute ago, Ziiten said:

No, I’ve ridden the wheel since treating it and it’s presence has no noticeable effect on performance.

Also, to be clear, I’m not a product advocate here, slime was available at a nearby auto parts store so I grabbed some because I was desperate to fix my wheel.  I had no idea if it would work or not.  I also grabbed a full on puncture repair kit (where you core out the puncture and apply a patch).  Thankfully, I didn’t have to go that route...

6 minutes ago, Nic said:

I'm not disagreeing with you ... yes, slime is effective and you will never even notice when you get a puncture. Even if that puncture leaks again more sealant will quickly close the leak. It has its uses, but it isn't the same as properly repairing a puncture. A slime repair will need to have slime in the tyre or it could start leaking again. Just offering my opinion that's all.

Maybe we can agree to agree now :D

I do like the new-to-me idea of using superglue. It's just that how and where I ride, it's not very convenient to try and locate a potentially small hole in tire. Try doing this when it's dark, or your wheel is covered in dirt, etc. But if you have your wheel in the workshop with good lighting conditions, that's a different story

11 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

No. I've used Slime in all of my wheels and have never noticed anything. It's a liquid and instantly becomes evenly distributed as soon as you are in motion.

1 minute ago, JBoo said:

I also grabbed a full on puncture repair kit (where you core out the puncture and apply a patch).  Thankfully, I didn’t have to go that route...

Those kits are designed for car/truck tyres where there is a lot of thickness to the tyre. I've never seen a Z10 tyre, but if it is relatively thin, then that kit will not work.

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I do like the new-to-me idea of using superglue. It's just that how and where I ride, it's not very convenient to try and locate a potentially small hole in tire. Try doing this when it's dark, or your wheel is covered in dirt, etc. But if you have your wheel in the workshop with good lighting conditions, that's a different story

And you won't have to carry a bottle of soapy water to help find the leak, or a pump to re-inflate your tyre in the dark. I've fixed punctures in the dark and rain on my way to work and its not fun. Slime definitely has its use cases.

5 minutes ago, Nic said:

Those kits are designed for car/truck tyres where there is a lot of thickness to the tyre. I've never seen a Z10 tyre, but if it is relatively thin, then that kit will not work.

The Z10’s tire is much thicker than any other euc I’ve ridden, and more closely resembles a motorcycle tire or maybe a fat bike tire.

12 hours ago, Nic said:

I have now watched this video and did a bit more reading. I'm not convinced that this would work for the Z10 tire. The biggest question that popped into my mind was how does a rigid non-flexible product like superglue work with a highly flexible item like a tire.

So what I really want to know is, have you personally fixed tubeless tires with superglue?

28 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I have now watched this video and did a bit more reading. I'm not convinced that this would work for the Z10 tire. The biggest question that popped into my mind was how does a rigid non-flexible product like superglue work with a highly flexible item like a tire.

So what I really want to know is, have you personally fixed tubeless tires with superglue?

No, I haven't fixed tubless tyres with superglue, but I have fixed normal tyres and other rubber parts. Once glued the rubber can still be flexed without issue. If you are curious I would suggest you try cutting an old worn tyre and then glueing it with superglue ... I think you will be surprised at how well it works! :thumbup:

When your tyre rolls the patch of tyre in contact with the road is in compression, which means even a rigid bond would still work. No repair is as strong as the original uncut rubber, but superglue is the closest you'll get to that.

I have also tried vulcanizing rubber cement on a tyre and it did not work well at all ... its better on tubes (butyl rubber) than on tyres.

Here's another video on Q-Bond (i.e. another brand of superglue) to make a custom rubber O-ring...

23 minutes ago, Nic said:

No, I haven't fixed tubless tyres with superglue, but I have fixed normal tyres and other rubber parts. Once glued the rubber can still be flexed without issue. If you are curious I would suggest you try cutting an old worn tyre and then glueing it with superglue ... I think you will be surprised at how well it works! :thumbup:

Here's another video on Q-Bond (i.e. another brand of superglue) to make a custom rubber O-ring...

Thanks.

Nothing personal, but I highly value actual EUC usage over theoretical how-to's. People I know told me of their positive experiences with Slime in their EUC wheels. So I started using it and it's fixed my tires. Not temporarily either. And therefore I recommend Slime use to other people.

When people tell me that they have fixed their Z10 tire puncture with superglue and it lasted for hundreds of miles, I'll start using superglue. Otherwise, for now, I'll stick with tried and true Slime.

But I do appreciate you exposing me to the potential of superglue.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

People I know told me of their positive experiences with Slime in their EUC wheels. So I started using it and it's fixed my tires. Not temporarily either...

Stick with what you know and are comfortable with ... that's fine. But I would ask how you know your slime repairs are permanent? If you still have slime in your 'fixed' tyre how would you know if the 'repair' ever leaked and resealed? Just a thought...:)

Most EUCs don't have tubeless tyres, so slime is the best way to protect from getting a puncture when out on a ride as field repairs aren't viable in such a situation. My original suggestion was in response to someone who was repairing a tubeless tyre at home and there was no slime in that tyre when it punctured. I don't think slime was ever intended to be put into already punctured tyres in order to repair them. Also, if the manufacturer says that a slime repair is temporary, then you would think that they must have done some testing before making such a statement as it certainly doesn't help them make their product more attractive. Just saying ... and I agree that you should stick with a solution that you know works and that you are happy with ... that's what I'd do. I may well use slime in my V8 as I dread getting a puncture miles from home, but for my Z10 I'll probably carry some superglue and a pump though I suspect I'll never see a puncture with that heavy duty tyre.:rolleyes:

Just had another thought ... I've never tested a superglue repair on a tubeless tyre before, so maybe I should not recommend it until I have tried it myself. It might look like it fixed a cut, but I won't really know if it can permanently fix a 'leak' until I try it. That is the sensible thing to do and you are spot on in that regard.:thumbup: You can still use the superglue tip to repair cuts in tyres that don't leak air and so can't be repaired by slime.

24 minutes ago, Nic said:

Stick with what you know and are comfortable with ... that's fine. But I would ask how you know your slime repairs are permanent? If you still have slime in your 'fixed' tyre how would you know if the 'repair' ever leaked and resealed? Just a thought...:)

Most EUCs don't have tubeless tyres, so slime is the best way to protect from getting a puncture when out on a ride as field repairs aren't viable in such a situation. My original suggestion was in response to someone who was repairing a tubeless tyre at home and there was no slime in that tyre when it punctured. I don't think slime was ever intended to be put into already punctured tyres in order to repair them. Also, if the manufacturer says that a slime repair is temporary, then you would think that they must have done some testing before making such a statement as it certainly doesn't help them make their product more attractive. Just saying ... and I agree that you should stick with a solution that you know works and that you are happy with ... that's what I'd do. I may well use slime in my V8 as I dread getting a puncture miles from home, but for my Z10 I'll probably carry some superglue and a pump though I suspect I'll never see a puncture with that heavy duty tyre.:rolleyes:

Just had another thought ... I've never tested a superglue repair on a tubeless tyre before, so maybe I should not recommend it until I have tried it myself. It might look like it fixed a cut, but I won't really know if it can permanently fix a 'leak' until I try it. That is the sensible thing to do and you are spot on in that regard.:thumbup:

This is somewhat of an academic question in my opinion.

In the real-world, I put Slime in my tires. The Slime fixes my flats. I never have to put new Slime in the tires. Is that not a permanent fix?

I understand what you are saying, that the Slime fails but then new Slime fixes it. But aren't we splitting hairs that this point :D

We (and I most definitely include myself) should not recommend techniques that we haven't practiced before without the proviso that we state we have no personal experience. In this whole superglue discussion I was given the impression that you had practiced this, so I thought, wow, GREAT technique! But now I know it's theoretical in the practical world of our EUCs. But I've enjoyed the ensuing discussion :)

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Its easy if u pump air in and listen for the leak ?

Archived