which is the front/rear of airwheel mars rover Q3

justjase

Hi, as you may have guessed from the title of this post I'm a complete newbie when it comes to electric unicycles. I received my airwheel mars rover Q3 this morning having charged it up and ready to have a try it became apparent that there's no logical way of knowing which is the front and which is the rear. I've looked on the web and from photo's of rider's I've come to the conclusion that the charging port should be at the front but this is a guess. Please if anyone knows the answer, let me know.

Regards, Jason

I never had an airwheel, but on most wheels it doesn't matter which way you ride it.  They work either direction.  Since the Q3 has no headlight or tailight, try it both directions and see if the pedals feel better one way than the other.  I ride both my ninebots in the backwards direction (power button to the rear) because the pedals aren't perfectly level and I like to have the pedals slightly higher in front, otherwise it feels like my feet are slipping off.

Most of the google images I looked at show the vertical Airwheel logo to the rear of the wheel.

13 hours ago, steve454 said:

because the pedals aren't perfectly level and I like to have the pedals slightly higher in front, otherwise it feels like my feet are slipping off.

19 hours ago, justjase said:

Please if anyone knows the answer, let me know.

Very few wheels without front and back lights have a clear forward direction, indeed one or two with lights will automatically change from red to white depending which direction the wheel is going. In other words it doesn’t usually matter a damn which way around you ride it. 

@steve454has hit one of the nails on the head there may be a slight tilt one way or the other so you may quickly find it is more comfortable to ride in one direction than the other. This Airwheel is quite an old design so I don’t think it has an app to adjust things like peddle tilt? If so then, if there is any tilt that will probably feel more comfortable if it tilts up a bit at the front.

There is another indicator as well. Many tyres have an arrow showing direction of rotation, this is so that the treads throw water out from under the tyre, in the dry it won’t matter at all but obviously forwards would be when the tyre rotates in the correct direction. Knowing Airwheel, if you are REALLY unlucky you might find the two tyres are actually fitted in opposite directions in which case, again it won’t matter at all.

Whilst a two wheel EUC will have a smaller learning curve, try to ensure your early riding is on flat terrain as two wheeled EUC’s are fairly unpleasant to ride over bumpy ground or any sort of side slope compared with a single wheel EUC - they main reason twin wheels are not at all popular. It actually takes more skill to ride a twin wheel over uneven or sloping terrain than a single wheel, indeed it becomes necessary to force it up onto one wheel at times especially on steep side slopes like a dropped curb. Also check your tyre pressures, they invariably arrive with very low pressure in the tyres and, conversely too high a pressure will  make it difficult to turn (you need to be able to put your weight to one side to turn by compressing one tyre more than the other) If the two tyres are not the same pressure you may also find yourself going around in circles ?

Thanks for your feedback on this. Steve.. in regards to the "vertical Airwheel logo being towards the rear". That's what I thought, however having played on it a bit more it seems to be more responsive and a little faster when mounted the opposite way round.?? Very puzzling. I'm going to heed the advice from you both and ride it however I like unti/if when it becomes apparent I should be doing otherwise. Kieth that's quite a bit of valuable information you have written, Thank. Jason.

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to chime in on this topic.

An Airwheel Q3 was my first wheel (back in the day, eh), and for someone who are new to this hobby it feels like an incredible machine. On mine there was no difference in performance or feel whatever way it was ridden, so I'm gonna guess it will be the same for you.

If you are like me and most other riders, you will quickly outgrow the 2 wheeled design and start to yearn for something bigger, faster, more reliable and comfortable. If you enjoy the Q3, oh boy your mind is going to get blown if you get on a "real" EUC. 

Good luck to you on your journeys, and wear some safety gear ;)

Archived