Ninebot Z10 Modifications

Rehab1

For those that know me I cannot leave a new wheel alone until a few modifications are performed. This is my first Z10 modification: Pedal mods: 

Approximate modification time: 2 hours

Materials used: 

1) Industrial Self Stick Grip Tape

2) Spray adhesive

Equipment used:

1) Belt Sander

2 Scissors

3) Allen key supplied with Z for pedal removal

44237360681_f566c15ff8_b.jpg

Pedal disassembly.

29301617727_36c022f9c7_b.jpg

Grinding off the rubber grips.

43519704334_a5c1650243_b.jpg

Comparative view depicting grip surface removed on right side.

44237389921_77dc9a22a6_b.jpg

Spray gluing add on Z10 grip tape included with wheel. This is used as a template.

43519716714_3a0aafaf62_b.jpg

Template glued to new grip tape. Ready for trimming.

43519716294_b8f376a2a9_b.jpg

Trimming new grip tape.

42429307620_6a731f0caa_b.jpg

Grip tape trimming complete and fastened to pedal.

44237364621_c7b1b1ca56_b.jpg

Pedal reattached.

42429369850_fed688ba31_b.jpg

Self adhesive plastic auto molding applied to Z’s shell to avoid abrasion when pedals are stowed in the upright position.

42429369490_13b712b617_b.jpg

Protective molding undetectable.

44188392542_75e3d6d1e5_b.jpg

Pedals complete.

44188393352_682c200c7e_b.jpg

43519704304_e2ceed63f8_b.jpg

7 hours ago, Ziiten said:

You didn't like the sand paper that came with the wheel. I think it grips pretty nicely already.

It’s just me. My feet are accustomed to a surface that provides optimal grip. The grip tape I used locks onto my feet even when there is moisture on the pedals. 

2 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

I have don’t similar with my E+ pedals back in the day, however I used razor to cut rubber flush with pedals.

That would definately work, probably easier and safer ....but I love my belt sander.  ;)

10 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Mud Guard Mod

30436550488_2f7ef722e3_b.jpg

30436550678_e1c7a67568_b.jpg

Very, very nice. Still get to see the beauty of the tire but still enjoy the practical aspects of the mudguard.

I'm about to install mine, but I think I may do this. I assume you refined the shape with a belt sander? How did you rough cut it?

And have you tested the effectiveness of this shorter version. If not, I'll wait until you tell me how it works.

Very cool :cheers:

37 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very, very nice. Still get to see the beauty of the tire but still enjoy the practical aspects of the mudguard.

I'm about to install mine, but I think I may do this. I assume you refined the shape with a belt sander? How did you rough cut it?

And have you tested the effectiveness of this shorter version. If not, I'll wait until you tell me how it works.

Very cool :cheers:

Thanks! You can use contoured tin snips or a band saw to perform the roughcut and then finish with a smooth grit belt sander. 

I have not tried out the guard’s effectiveness yet as I just modified it a few hours ago. I’m sure it will deflect some debris but not all. In my view it is more cosmetic and won’t trap leaves and small branches (and snow :))  like the larger guard. 

Multidirectional quick connect GoPro camera mount that securely clamps onto the Z10’s handle.

There are times when I like to take a video without holding onto a selfie stick. The Gopro Hero 6 I use does a great job of eliminating vibration and I can also smooth out the video in post production. 

The mount and camera do not interfer with my legs as it is positioned anteriorly to my knees. 

Unlimited camera positioning

30437128998_e07cbd00d2_b.jpg

44256076592_20a5cda7dd_b.jpg

44303664911_946fe7e4ec_b.jpg

The mount and camera do not interfere with a normal leg stance. 

42496161750_67daf49528_b.jpg

I purchased the mount through Amazon and added some foam pieces to the 2 clamps for a better purchase around the handle.

shorturl.at/beyM5  

18 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

A+ for sure, looks really good. Can the bottom plastic connector be removed? It would sure clean things up.

I’m not sure but the stability of the trolley handle might be compromised without the crossmember. I thought about wrapping that region in black plastic or foam but it might make a another great camera mount especially for the Insta360 One’s selfie stick. 

Edit: I would not remove the support. It is definately an integral part of the trolley handle. The metal support is fabricated from aluminum in 2 pieces and then riveted in the center. It looks like they used a black sharpie on the rivet’s head to disguise it. 

44258031602_71c6b93bb8_b.jpg

It also serves as a great little parking stand. 

42498389600_7532b1d8f5_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I’m not sure but the stability of the trolley handle might be compromised without the crossmember. I thought about wrapping that region in black plastic or foam but it might make a another great camera mount especially for the Insta360 One’s selfie stick. 

Edit: I would not remove the support. It is definately an integral part of the trolley handle. The metal support is fabricated from aluminum in 2 pieces and then riveted in the center. It looks like they used a black sharpie on the rivet’s head to disguise it. 

It also serves as a great little parking stand. 

Looks like the bracket is attached to the trolley handle by screws, so I'm guessing you could remove it. The the trolley handle isn't exactly solid as designed. I imagine it would really be bad without the bottom bracket.

Also, the bottom bracket of the trolley handle forms the basis of a nice kickstand. Just lean the wheel back and it sits very nice. Much better that the supposed V10F stand.

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

In my view it is more cosmetic

With every Z comes the chance to ruin its divine simplicity and beauty... that’s the curse of individualism! ?

3 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

With every Z comes the chance to ruin its divine simplicity and beauty... that’s the curse of individualism! ?

I prayed to the Ninebot Gods before modifying the mudguard and was advised that one divine simplicity attribute is wisdom.  :)

2 hours ago, FreeRide said:

The curse of collectivism is so much worse than that.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I prayed to the Ninebot Gods before modifying the mudguard and was advised that one divine simplicity attribute is wisdom.  :)

To each his own ... ? 

The only modification that I am planning to do on my Z10 is to change the footpedals back to the original divine design. They are so beautiful and I don‘t care if they are less comfortable or practical ... they are most beautiful.

Does anybody know if Ninebot sells these pedals on the aftermarket? Or can we buy them somewhere else?

Any Info would be much appreciated.

FFC52641-23E7-4367-8FF9-C1215E0F37AA.png

40 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

The only modification that I am planning to do on my Z10 is to change the footpedals back to the original divine design. They are so beautiful and I don‘t care if they are less comfortable or practical ... they are most beautiful.

Does anybody know if Ninebot sells these pedals on the aftermarket? Or can we buy them somewhere else?

Aren't those preproduction foot plates. Probably nowhere to be had. I wonder if any spares will be available anywhere.

59 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

Aren't those preproduction foot plates. Probably nowhere to be had. I wonder if any spares will be available anywhere.

Yes they are from the first prototypes that they showed off. Doesn’t anybody have contact to any Ninebot officials, who could get me a pair? Pleeeeeaase. ?

18 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Looks like the bracket is attached to the trolley handle by screws, so I'm guessing you could remove it. The the trolley handle isn't exactly solid as designed. I imagine it would really be bad without the bottom bracket.

Also, the bottom bracket of the trolley handle forms the basis of a nice kickstand. Just lean the wheel back and it sits very nice. Much better that the supposed V10F stand.

That's the biggest design letdown for me. That bracket really looks like something from the hardware store. If it can be unscrewed, maybe it can be replaced with a 3d printed part that would give the same rigidity + a bigger contact patch when using it as a parking stand.

4 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I love those pedals. Unfortunately somewhere at NB corporate they are probably gathering dust under an engineer’s desk. 

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I love those pedals. Unfortunately somewhere at NB corporate they are probably gathering dust under an engineer’s desk. 

I hate it, when an exquisite timeless design gets substantially crippled by decisions of penny pushers and budget watchdogs and other bore boys in a companies management.

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

I hate it, when an exquisite timeless design gets substantially crippled by decisions of penny pushers and budget watchdogs and other bore boys in a companies management.

Me too, those prototype pedals are so nice looking.  The trolley handle looks different also.

I see in your signature that you have both the Ninebot Z10 and the Ninebot one E+.  Are the pedals exactly the same?  :mellow:

5 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:I hate it, when an exquisite timeless design gets substantially crippled by decisions of penny pushers and budget watchdogs and other bore boys in a companies management.

Who knows....the second production/generation Z may include those state- of- the- art pedal designs you desire so much.

The current Z design is outstanding by itself so it might be prudent for NB corporate not recreate a whole new body concept the following year but just add some bling. The addition of your most sought after pedals along with my truncated mud guard would greatly enhance the style of the 2019 Z+ model quite well.  ;)

Archived