KS 18L Review

Lutalo

I have been riding the wheel for about a month now so I think that I can do a fairly credible review of the wheel.

Initial Thoughts

Frankly, I have not seen a more attractive wheel. There is nothing distracting about the lines or curves - they are smooth and symmetrical.

The 18L has no obtrusive or jarring design cues or features marketed as upgrades that add greater specialization, but mainly decrease the wheel's everyday rideability and usefulness as a travel companion or commuter aid.  

The KS18L is a refined-looking device inside and out. It is just as impressive when the outer shell is removed and you are staring at it's guts, as it is with the outer shell cover on. The engineers of this wheel took it seriously and designed it with care inside and out. Well, except for the trolley handle.

The thoughtfulness that clearly went into the remainder of the wheels design makes the trolley handle stick out like even more of a sore thumb for me; like going on date with a tremendously beautiful woman only to discover that she has chronic halitosis ??

Although the trolley handle feels somewhat flimsy to me, the two contact points with the wheel makes it very stable and useful for strolling the wheel rather easily. However, for the sake of longevity I would not recommend lifting the wheel with the handle extended.

Even with the handle retracted, the soft contact points on my handle failed by the second day. This problem was known by the manufacturer and dealers who have already taken steps to correct the issue.

The upside of the handle mechanism is that the two contact points within the wheel is a great design idea. It makes the handle very stable, and effective for trolleying; especially in areas crowded with pedestrian and/or vehicle traffic.

Kingsong tends to be very responsive to problems when they detect them, so I feel certain that they will eventually find a supplier that makes better handles or the aftermarket will address it.

Design

The KS18L quite effectively makes the powerful statement that there truly is passion and beauty in simplicity.

Kingsong's strategy with the 18L seems to be to make it a natural extension of rider. A tool that complements the rider by easily blending into one's life. The wheel has trollied happily beside me through DC's subway tunnels and trains, on the bus, in commercial office buildings, in doctor's offices, at work, and in school buildings with nary a sore look.

The 18L is not some pretentious attempt to show everyone how risqué you are. It is meant to be a useful member of society and add meaningful enhancements to life as a companion. Even still, its looks arouse passion and excitement. My wheel has the black rubber finish and I love it in this getup. On a daily basis, I get pounds of admiring stares, compliments and inquiries from onlookers. The 18L looks like it means business, and the performance proves that it does in fact very much mean business.

Performance

Man, this wheel is badass. Saying the 18L is fast sounds like the understatement of the year, especially after unlocking the 200km restriction; which took surprisingly little time to do. It is extremely easy to jump on and feel right at home. It is so smooth that when I'm in the upper echelons of its speed firmware limitation I can hardly tell that I am going so fast.

I habitually clock higher avg speeds on this wheel compared to my others, not only because its vastly more powerful, but because of how stable it feels at speeds. Familiar undulations and cracks in the pavement that have me clutching the pads of my other wheels with my knees cause the 18L no disturbance. I think the excellent stability has to do with the bottom heaviness of the device; but it's just a theory. Whatever it is I like it a lot.

Conclusion

The wheel looks great, performs exceptionally well, and is highly functional and portable as an everyday commuter companion. It so easily fits into life that it doesn't at all feel like the weekend tool of a recreational hobbyist; it feels necessary. I love this wheel. It's quite simply, Awesome.

Hey Lutalo,

very nice review!

For:

4 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

However, for the sake of longevity I would not recommend lifting the wheel with the handle extended. Even with the handle retracted, the soft contact points on my handle failed by the second day. This problem was known by the manufacturer and well reported. The improved handle should soon be on its way.

The overall thoughtfulness of the 18L design, makes the trolley handle standout even more as a seeming afterthought. The soft lock mechanism on my handle has been broken for the entire length of my ownership thus far. Hey, but it works for trolleying. and I am sure KS will eventually find a supplier that makes better handles or the aftermarket will address it.

Ok, no, it is really not recommend at all to lift up the Wheel with the handle Extended :-) It is just not designed for it.

Lock mechanism and more stable parts for the insides of the trolley handle/rod are on the way, improvement is already adressed. 

can i second that? i'll second that!

also had problems with the trolley handle, the beige spring pushing mechanisms on one of the handle bars kept comming of, i could see some signs of glue but wery little, so i glued them into position and also the white "colar sleeves".

has worked like a charm since!

4 hours ago, US69 said:

Hey Lutalo,

very nice review!

For:

Ok, no, it is really not recommend at all to lift up the Wheel with the handle Extended :-) It is just not designed for it.

Lock mechanism and more stable parts for the insides of the trolley handle/rod are on the way, improvement is already adressed. 

Thanks Ulf,

About the handle I felt it was prudent to mention just because I have seen my son lifting the wheel in this fashion and have had to admonish the practice. Just in case others are doing it, they might read my review and find that part helpful enough to make them stop. Yes, you are spot on, the handle when extended is definitely not meant for toting the wheel. I should have been clearer that lifting the wheel with handle extended is a bad practice because it was not meant to be used in this way, as opposed to being related to a flaw in the handle unit itself.

About the handle, @Jason McNeilis aware of my soft lock problem. Just waiting for his shipment then he will send my replacement.

Personally, the broken handle hasn't been much of a problem at all for me as I do way more trolleying than lifting anyway.

Archived