Wheel wobbeling side to side

MrAkse

Hello!

I was out riding yesterday on my KS18L and was annoyed by this constant bumping up and down. (Like when your car has no shocks and bounces on the springs)

I've had this bumping from day one, but became very annoying the last days. Today I checked the rim and it is not bent or damaged, but it looks as if the whole motor/rim/tire is mounted like it's tilted.

Made a quick movie and it's clear that something is wrong. 

I've never had any crashes or accidents with the wheel. Never took it offroad-riding.

Anybody have an idea what could be wrong?

Seems to me as a production quality issue.

Hope you get it fixed by warranty.

Good luck with that!

Is it the tire or the motor itself?

If it's the tire, let the air out and gently re-seat it, then refill it and see if it helped.

If it's the motor, let your seller deal with it.

If you can't figure it out quickly, also let your seller deal with it.

These QC failures on brand new wheels are unacceptable:eff04a58a6:

Now I have never had this on an EUC yet..only have my Inmotion V8 and Kingsong KS18L.

But I had this often when riding a bike for years. It happen often if I had put on an patch to fix a puncture, and when inflating the tube I has some way gotten twisted or not even fixed under the tyre. It is easy fixed by deflatig totally then minging tyrewalls to be in the center of the rim. Then you inflate the tube gradually keeping tyre as center as possible eventually the tube will press the tyrewalls to the rim and it should be wrinkel free fitted tube under the tyre. 

Of course I can be wrong as I have no sense how balance is in the wheel. I am just judging from your video.

@novazeus had the same problem on his Ninebot one S2.  He let all the air out of the tire, cleaned the rim and tire bead, then reseated the tire by adding a little air at a time and turning the wheel and making sure the tire was evenly on the rim.  Cured the wobbles completely.

If that doesn't fix it, send it back.

yeah when i let mine down flat when i added some slime i had a little wobble so i did what i used to do with my fat bike tires,

when tyre flat put washing up liquid on rim pump to 50 psi so it pushes tyre to rim then let down to 20 psi , have a slow ride while bouncing up and down slightly, tyre will even out circumference wise then pump back up to required pressure . might be overkill but always worked on my fat bike tyre when had the wobbles and also worked on my msx ..no wobbles?

All these tires are cheaply made, so there is no guarantee of 100% uniformity.  I bet if we all have someone pick up our wheel as in the OP video, we will see a wobble of some kind.  I have two wheels and they both do this.  Of course, observing both rims to make sure the bead is seated evenly is always a good idea.

Joining the chorus... I had badly seated tire in the Firewheel, letting the air out, spreading a little bit of dishwashing soap + water -solution on the rim edges and reseating the tire while slowly pumping it up did the trick.

Got to love the enthusiasm at this forum.

I took all your advices and it looks as it did the trick. I'm not able to take it outside for a proper test tonight, but riding around the house for 30 minutes and doing the "lift wheel of the ground" test it looks good.

1 minute ago, MrAkse said:

Got to love the enthusiasm at this forum.

I took all your advices and it looks as it did the trick. I'm not able to take it outside for a proper test tonight, but riding around the house for 30 minutes and doing the "lift wheel of the ground" test it looks good.

Good job. Simple fixes are often easy overlooked. It so easy to jump to it must be bad quality and production issues, as it put all blame back to manufactor. In fact it comes down to understanding the product and how it works. This goes for EUCs and other products too.

I found the EUC dynamic thread very useful reading. But this looked to me as a simple unbalanced fit of tyre/tube on the rim. I am glad it seems I made right diagnose. I am a bit unsure if dishsoap is a good solution though.

Reason I use an example, you want to add oil on diskbreaks. It might fix the grinding noise, but as breaks maybe not so good afterwards. Making a tyre slippery on the rim, maybe not best idea. 

15 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am a bit unsure if dishsoap is a good solution though.

Reason I use an example, you want to add oil on diskbreaks. It might fix the grinding noise, but as breaks maybe not so good afterwards. Making a tyre slippery on the rim, maybe not best idea. 

I read somewhere the tip on using a little bit of soap-water, I put it on the rim walls (not in the tire itself, spread with your finger), although I may have misinterpreted the tip and it was meant to go on the tire bead :P. It supposedly helps so that the tire "slides" better in place during pumping it up, but not sure if it's necessary. In my case, I never had any "slippage" or such afterwards, but I ride with 4bar pressures, so the inner tube pushes the outer tire tightly agains the rim walls...

17 hours ago, Unventor said:

I found the EUC dynamic thread very useful reading. But this looked to me as a simple unbalanced fit of tyre/tube on the rim. I am glad it seems I made right diagnose. I am a bit unsure if dishsoap is a good solution though.

I always use soap to get the tire over the rim more easily (for both installing and removing) on EUCs and bicycles. I have never seen a problem arise out of this habit.

Window cleaner works well too.  Like Windex (dries fast)...  the Talc powder (baby powder) for between tube and the tire to avoid tube from pinching...

Archived