v10 vs tesla? witch one is better for commuters

Mozart Tel

Hello ya'll. This is my second post here, thanks for all of you helps.

I'm in a small commute from outside Boston area into HEAVY Boston. Ride for a mile, get a train, then a metro, then a bus and another mile to my destination, and then back.

We have ruled out the fancy ninebots, now my question is regarding the powerful machines inmotion V10 and the Tesla, witch one is better for these type of traffic and rides? I could cut down on commute cost by taking only one train and rides on electric unicycle.

• Like 2

Why do you need such powerful and relatively heavy EUCs for this short distance? I think you should just consider lightweight EUCs as it's no fun to carry heavy EUCs around (e.g. while getting into a train, then to a metro). If your two miles are on flat terrain, then the likes of KS 14D, Gotway Mten will suit you perfectly. I also heard that IPS has some very light models.

Edit: I misunderstood the the opening post, I thought you were looking for EUCs for riding just a mile before and after both metro and bus.

Edited by Herbas
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum. 

I own the V10F and have briefly tested the Tesla. Both are good and will work for you. Basically, Tesla has more top speed and V10 has more comfort. For commuting the top speed is probably not that important.

The switch off button on the V10 handle is really good for commuting, going in and out of trains/buses. Large pedals and good ride settings help with comfort when riding in work attire. The handle on V10 is not that pretty but is very fast to use when commuting, Tesla’s trolley handle was a bit stiff and might be slower to use. V10 has fatter tire so it will take bumps better. These are some things that come to my mind at the moment in favor of V10. 

Tesla is cheaper and has more range for the price. You would have to pay for V10F to get similar battery. Tesla is also wider and less comfortable. But the ride is still really nice and it goes fast! If you ride in the dark the V10 has a better light. Build quality is better on the V10 (at least on the later batches)

You might have to wait quite a long time for a V10 as they are having some issues right now. 

But as the previous commenter said already, a lighter wheel might be better. How about a V8? Very light (13kg) and suitable for commuting as long as the range is enough. Ks-14 series might do well also. 

• Like 3

The real-life range on modern big-player EUCs is 20-50 miles. If I understood correctly, you plan on skipping one of the public transports and ride the distance with an EUC instead. How much distance would that leave for you on the EUC?

The Tesla might be slightly easier to manoeuvre in tight places, but I don’t think the difference is notable enough to justify a purchase. You’d get used to both.

If you are only riding a couple of one mile trips each way, look into something like the IPS I5 or S5, or the Inmotion V5F.  The Inmotion has a trolley handle, the IPS is one of the lightest and smallest available.

Image result for ips i5 unicycle         I think the trolley handle has to be paid for separately on the Inmotion.

Edited by steve454
misspelled paid
  • Like 2

Thanks, guys, I have noticed that I need some more information here, so the distance that I would skip by using the machine would be around 6 miles each way, then I still have to go into the train for another 22 miles ride and then a bit of rough asphalt for another mile, so during the day should be about (6+2)*2, max around 16 miles every day. There is a bit of problem with heavy snow at times in the Boston area. I am kindly strong, so I can lift 50 lbs sometimes, not the whole day long.  My idea, also, was to invest into something that will not get me bored and maxed out in 2 months like most of the small units. Any Ideas? If I buy a cheapo small 800w motor wouldn't that be too small and get really sick of it in short time and then have to spend another $1600 anyway?  or should I buy a startup unit first ($800-900) and then see if that isn't too little?  Ps: I was a military, inline skater, ice skater, kinda fast learner. 

My apologies, I was referring to the cost itself not the product.

Hum.  so a 800 motor 450wh is a more appropriate for a small commute (20 miles/day), where people, train and obstacle is higher?

If so, what about the inmotion v8/glide 3, or segway? I seem to find much more assistance and people using this two around then any other brand, also the assistance and parts of these brands. Another question is the glide 3 same as the v8 in USA? I read in a post at the inmotion website saying they are the same.

18 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

This is just another "What wheel should I get?" situation (if you don't want to go that far, both the V10 and Tesla are great, take the one that appeals to you more). For you, I'd say the decision is between:

• Option 1:
    You prioritize using the wheel as a last mile (literally) tool for the very ends of your train commute. That means, you don't need a big battery, speed is not that important, and easy carryability is what matters by far the most. You can get a 14 incher, the MCM5, the 14D (or 14S), the V5F, or even the i5 (it's an absolute joy to carry). Or the V8 (= Glide3 in the U.S., a light 16 incher), also very pleasant to carry.
  • Option 2:
    You choose a wheel primarily to replace a part of your train route with a EUC. With having to take it with you into a train being the second priority, not the first. Also maybe for other, non-commute fun rides. Then you need a "serious" one (fast enough, big enough tire), and I'd go for a 16 incher or even an 18 incher (the 18L most of all).

Here's some thoughts about that:

• 6 miles is NOT short. That's a 30min ride (if you include a few lights and putting your helmet on etc). Any wheel that doesn't go 30kph/20mph (at least) comfortably is going to be annoyingly slow very soon when you want to get somewhere regularly (especially connecting to a train). [Which is why I'd rule out the V8 for this case.]
  • For such commuting rides, I'd prioritize speed and comfort. An 18 incher may very well be better for relaxed riding. Think of snow, rainy or windy weather, a tired rider, not just the best case. But 16 inches works great as well. It's a matter of preference, and of your route. A super smooth bike path works for a 14 incher as well (the MCM5 being faster than the others), a potholed side street with traffic or bumpy dirt paths might call for an 18 incher. 16 inches is probably the best allrounder size if you're in doubt, but in the end, follow your intuition what feels right for you.
  • For option 1, you can go with wrist guards only. Quick and easy. For option 2, you need a helmet and knee guards as well. So more involved.

So for option 2, there's the Tesla, V10(F), the KS18L, and you could consider the KS16S as well. Simply from the form factor, the 16S is the best compromise - a great 16 incher to ride, but it's small and unassuming to trolley and put between your feet on a train. But the others are faster and newer.

I'd rule out the Ninebot One Z and msuper X as too heavy to carry or unwieldy to trolley, same with the ACM2, but in the end, any wheel is going to work, so get the one you like.

Since the only difference between the V10 and V10F is the price and battery (same weight), I'd always get the V10F over the V10 if it comes down to that.

Finally, what's your height and weight (including clothes, backpack and everything) on the wheel?

Option 3

You bounce between option 1 and 2 depending on the weather.  You get 2 different wheels, or you get one 16" wheel that has enough battery power for option 2 but is still manageable weight and size wise for option 1.  KS16S or an ACM2 with an 820 wh battery would seem to be your best bet here. KS wins on build quality and trolley handle, but ACM is faster.

• Upvote 1

Yep the 16S is a really good compromise. Though the Tesla and V10(F) are faster and more powerful. Maybe one of them (or a sweet 18L) plus an i5 or even MCM5 is an option (hey, you might have the money:efeebb3acc:)?

@Thai-lad There is no 820Wh ACM2 (that would be a 67.2V wheel), only 1300/1600Wh (84V), and the ACM form factor is terrible whenever you don't ride it. No trolley (and the aftermarket thing doesn't seem to be too great either), and no fun to carry at all (I can vouch for that, probably the wide shape). The ACM(2) is a manly man's wheel that wants to be ridden, not carried:efee8319ab:

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yep the 16S is a really good compromise. Though the Tesla and V10(F) are faster and more powerful. Maybe one of them (or a sweet 18L) plus an i5 or even MCM5 is an option (hey, you might have the money:efeebb3acc:)?

@Thai-lad There is no 820Wh ACM2 (that would be a 67.2V wheel), only 1300/1600Wh (84V), and the ACM form factor is terrible whenever you don't ride it. No trolley (and the aftermarket thing doesn't seem to be too great either), and no fun to carry at all (I can vouch for that, probably the wide shape).

You're right, of course.  Should have said ACM16 v2 .   As in this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gotway-ACM16-hs-2016-new-high-speed-version-motor-1500W-speed-40-Bluetooth-USB-headlight-Free/32734513412.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.9.75f45890vjQUno&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10152_10065_10151_10344_10068_10342_10343_10546_10340_10059_10341_10548_10696_100031_10084_10083_10103_10618_10307_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_16,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=fc4fcf33-f5fd-4eac-ba1d-2402edee70db-1&algo_pvid=fc4fcf33-f5fd-4eac-ba1d-2402edee70db&priceBeautifyAB=0 .  

I don't know how the weight of the newer ACM2 compares to the original 820 w/h one..   Nor have I compared the prices for older and newer ones, it may no longer make sense to buy a new ACM16 compared to buying a new ACM2, since in my own case I'm looking at buying a used one. Or a used KS16S...   arrgggh...

If you're riding ~22 miles, and depending on the environment, then most wheels except the gigantic ones may be difficult to ride every day. My commute used to be 4.5 to 6 miles, and I would invariably ride the MSuper due to fatigue. While 14 inchers are by far my favorite wheel to ride they also require intense concentration. Plenty of times if I rode my 14 or 16 to work I'd dread the return trip.

Honestly, the distance is a bit off for wheels; I'd get a far safer and far faster electric bicycle for the same price + a 14 incher. Ride the ebike during the days you want to entirely forgo public transportation, and the 14 incher for the trip to the public station.

An interesting side effect of using a wheel on public transportation is how sociable you absolutely must become.

Personally, I'd get a nice ebike and MCM5 (and possibly an older ninebot to kick around), and leave it like that for at least a year.

As odd as it sounds, you first have to treat your wheel as a toy before you have sufficient control over it to use it as transportation. While most of us can learn to ride within minutes, riding with precision, at low or stopped speeds while weaving ever so slowly around pedestrians (who you should treat with the utmost respect!) is very very hard at first.

He's not riding 22 miles, that's just the part that will always be done by train. A bike is much more problematic to take on a train than a wheel, and you may even need an extra ticket for a bike (like in the joke of a country I'm in).

But you're right, while 16 or even 14 inches will work really well, a bigger 18 inch tire may be more comfortable in the long term. V10(F) is a bit of a middle ground with the wider tire. Tesla is super stable and smooth and fast. The 16S still exists as a bit lower and lighter alternative. So does the 18L as a bigger and faster but managable 18 incher.

All right, I am not getting an eBike, sorry, and I do like the idea of a larger 18 inch due to facts mentioned earlier like snow, pedestrians, fatigue, traffic and the 6 miles that I have to stretch to get to my destination or wait for a bus . :( .

When I was 14-16 I used up about 4 pairs of roller blades to move around the city, I went everywhere, I spent many wheel kits on those things, even today I still have a nice pair of expensive roller blades, so I think I know about the fatigue and concentration that takes, and I do understand that there is a learning curve, which I have to master as fast as possible or risk going on FuBer or Bus my 6 miles before or after the train.

Therefore, I am getting very fond of the KS18L and I found one at Amazon for $1.6k, not bad for an absolutely massive engine, battery, and machine, while much smaller ones are 2/3 of the price.  If I could I would get everything, but I cannot. While the smaller engines seem easy to carry etc, they lack comfort, maybe more unstable due to leg not locking down on the calf as much as on the upper femur, uncomfortable for long journeys (6 miles back and forth), durability of battery and speed.

Please let me know your considerations, so far everybody has been excellent.

Thank you all that contributed to this forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mozart Tel said:

Therefore, I am getting very fond of the KS18L and I found one at Amazon for $1.6k, not bad for an absolutely massive engine, battery, and machine, while much smaller ones are 2/3 of the price.  If I could I would get everything, but I cannot. While the smaller engines seem easy to carry etc, they lack comfort, maybe more unstable due to leg not locking down on the calf as much as on the upper femur, uncomfortable for long journeys (6 miles back and forth), durability of battery and speed.

Please let me know your considerations, so far everybody has been excellent.

Thank you all that contributed to this forum.

The Ks18L is a fantastic commuter wheel. The 6 miles is really nothing for that wheel to handle, and you should mop up that distance in an easy going 25 minutes. I have around 4-6 miles depending on my routes to and from work and I use both KS18L and the V10F. I enjoy the ride of the V10F more than the KS18L, but I enjoy the speed and stability of the KS18L. 

As far as weight goes, they are five lbs apart with the KS18L being the heavier, but being so well balanced with the handle placement it doesnt feel any heavier. The joy of the KS18L is that this is their second forray into the high speed wheel category. So most of the kinks having to do with the ride are ironed out. There were a few design flaws trying to immitate InMotion’s handle wheel disengagement function. They have been addressed on the newer models. This is InMotion’s first venture at the higher speeds and while Darknessbot and WheelLog promise higher speeds, they really only give me a decent 25.4 mph as the top speed so far before tilting back.

If you are in Massachusetts, you will have rain, and the V10F pedals are a bit slippery in the rain. Kingsong is promising newer larger Pedals through eWheels.com and they have done a nice job encapsulating the batteries in a sealed container, and keeping the battery and motor connectors behind the foam to keep them from getting water or dust in them. Inmotion has come around to this thinking in their newer batches having seen what water can do to electronics in London. If you go with the KS18L ask @houseofjob where he gets his Chaoyang tires from for the 64-355 or 18” x 2.5” tires?

Let us know how the journey turns out. :thumbup:

On 8/22/2018 at 1:51 PM, Mozart Tel said:

My apologies, I was referring to the cost itself not the product.

Hum.  so a 800 motor 450wh is a more appropriate for a small commute (20 miles/day), where people, train and obstacle is higher?

If so, what about the inmotion v8/glide 3, or segway? I seem to find much more assistance and people using this two around then any other brand, also the assistance and parts of these brands. Another question is the glide 3 same as the v8 in USA? I read in a post at the inmotion website saying they are the same.

They are the same. It's IMHO a very good mix-commute wheel, because it is slim, not so heavy and yet 16" (EDIT: and has a kill switch!). For these reasons it would still be my first choice. Furthermore, the charger is completely silent, that is, it can be charged in the office without to annoy anybody. A disadvantage may be the limited tire choice for snow (though I have seen snow tires on the V8, IIRC), because the shell is comparatively tight. Newer bigger wheels have larger pedals than the V8 which is an advantage if you live on big feet.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1