Z10 hill climbing ability

Pete E

Hey there guys, Pete here. Quick question to any and all Z10 owners. I know it being such a new wheel there aren't a ton of you who have much or any experience yet. I am curious how well this wheel handles hills. I live in Seattle and am surrounded by some pretty steep hills. I'm considering purchasing this as my first wheel of any kind and am wanting to ensure that it fits my needs well. What I've found with my electric skateboard is that hills really eat up the battery. I'd have to assume the same thing with all EUC's? How drastically have you guys found elevation gains and losses end up affecting overall range. I have my heart pretty set on this specific model and I know every wheel has its pros and cons. I just want to make sure the Z10 does well with how and where I am planing to ride. Thanks in advance to all

Take a look at my Z10 YouTube Playlist (in my signature below). You'll see a couple mountain stress test videos.

I won't know until I get my production unit whether these issues are resolved.

Frankly, if a lot of steep hills were in my daily routine I would not pick the Z10. I'm hoping that the production unit will be better but I'm doubtful that it'll be the hill climber that other wheels are.

The best hill climbing wheel on the planet (I truly believe that I'm making an objective statement) is the MCM5. If you want to stick with the 18-inch form factor, the MSuper X is impressive on hills and you can ride all day long with its 1600wh battery.

EUCs have impressive regenerative capabilities. From my personal experience riding extensive hills, I can get ~1/3 more range during long hilly rides.

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Frankly, if a lot of steep hills were in my daily routine I would not pick the Z10. I'm hoping that the production unit will be better but I'm doubtful that it'll be the hill climber that other wheels are.

This is not the steepest of hills, but I regularly climb it with my MSuper, my Tesla and now the production Z10. All three wheels get up there without problems. I feel the Tesla is a bit more snappy (powerful) on this hill, but the Z is the most stable. So I am really looking forward to your hill climbing test. But I think, you will not be disappointed next time.

DCE5E818-CAED-472A-92D2-4EC4017FDF5C.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

This is not the steepest of hills, but I regularly climb it with my MSuper, my Tesla and now the production Z10. All three wheels get up there without problems. I feel the Tesla is a bit more snappy (powerful) on this hill, but the Z is the most stable. So I am really looking forward to your hill climbing test. But I think, you will not be disappointed next time.

DCE5E818-CAED-472A-92D2-4EC4017FDF5C.jpeg

Of course I really hope that you are right, but I can't yet speak with positive experience about hills with the Z10.

Remind me again, how much do you weigh?

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Of course I really hope that you are right, but I can't yet speak with positive experience about hills with the Z10.

Remind me again, how much do you weigh?

A bit too much, ... but still fly weight class! ??‍♂️ (62 kg) ? 

And I agree: going downhill on the Z10 is not as comfortable as on the Tesla, but you get used to it. It’s probably because I am imagining what could happen if this heavy guy runs away underneath your feet and escapes down the hill on its own. ? 

9 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

A bit too much, ... but still fly weight class! ??‍♂️ (62 kg) ? 

And I agree: going downhill on the Z10 is not as comfortable as on the Tesla, but you get used to it. It’s probably because I am imagining what could happen if this heavy guy runs away underneath your feet and escapes down the hill on its own. ? 

You certainly have a weight advantage when it comes to hills.

Yeah, going downhill can be nerve racking :cry2: 

45 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You certainly have a weight advantage when it comes to hills.

Yeah, going downhill can be nerve racking :cry2: 

Even with this weight advantage that will definitely make a difference in the final climbing ?‍♂️ angle, I still have the comparison to two other EUCs (Tesla, MSuper v3s+) that make it up this hill and three others (KS16, NBO E+, ACM) that don’t make it up this hill with a reference weight (62 kg) and a “reference” hill (the one you see in the very back of the foto). It does not look that steep from a distance, but it is quite steep. And in this comparison the Z10 feels torquewise a bit behind the Tesla but quite close to what it feels on the MSuper. I don’t know however how this translates to weights over 80 kg.

I have not yet experimented with the brake assistent. It didn’t feel right the one time I used it, so I switched it off and never used or tried it since, but it might be useful going down steeper hills. I will try occasionally. But today it is raining heavily.

10 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Even with this weight advantage that will definitely make a difference in the final climbing ?‍♂️ angle, I still have the comparison to two other EUCs (Tesla, MSuper v3s+) that make it up this hill and three others (KS16, NBO E+, ACM) that don’t make it up this hill with a reference weight (62 kg) and a “reference” hill (the one you see in the very back of the foto). It does not look that steep from a distance, but it is quite steep. And in this comparison the Z10 feels torquewise a bit behind the Tesla but quite close to what it feels on the MSuper. I don’t know however how this translates to weights over 80 kg.

I have not yet experimented with the brake assistent. It didn’t feel right the one time I used it, so I switched it off and never used or tried it since, but it might be useful going down steeper hills. I will try occasionally. But today it is raining heavily.

When I tried brake assist the experience was worse when going downhill. Will be interested to see what you think.

I'm surprised that the ACM was not successful. Probably not the ACM2 version. Maybe the 67-volt version?

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

When I tried brake assist the experience was worse when going downhill. Will be interested to see what you think.

I'm surprised that the ACM was not successful. Probably not the ACM2 version. Maybe the 67-volt version?

Same here for the break assist. I felt somehow indirect like having less control. That’s why I turned it off and never used it again.

And yes it is a 67 Volt ACM. My third wheel after the KS16. It gets me up a bit further then the other two but not to the top.

3 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Same here for the break assist. I felt somehow indirect like having less control. That’s why I turned it off and never used it again.

And yes it is a 67 Volt ACM. My third wheel after the KS16. It gets me up a bit further then the other two but not to the top.

You need to sell your ACM to a newbie and get yourself an ACM2. You would be impressed with its power :D

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

You need to sell your ACM to a newbie and get yourself an ACM2. You would be impressed with its power :D

I am engaged now: I have my Z10. Don’t need any other wheels! It’s called true ❤️ if you don’t look at all the other beauties out there.

You may soon understand ... (whistle)

PS: I keep the other wheels for friends, visitors and family to learn and upgrade step by step.

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

EUCs have impressive regenerative capabilities. From my personal experience riding extensive hills, I can get ~1/3 more range during long hilly rides.

That's because you go slower and avoid the main energy sink that is the wind resistance. Hill climbing itself is surprisingly cheap, though. It definitely costs less than the wind resistance from gong fast, I get (got:efeeab781c:) a lot of surprise range on mountains too.

I saw a video comparing Inmotion V10F, Kingson 18L and Ninebot One Z10 in slope test. The first two completed with no problem, while Z10 failed. I tried to upload but I am limited to 3.13 MB and the video test has 3.93 MB. Anyone know how to increase the limit?

29 minutes ago, Monocyklista said:

I saw a video comparing Inmotion V10F, Kingson 18L and Ninebot One Z10 in slope test. The first two completed with no problem, while Z10 failed. I tried to upload but I am limited to 3.13 MB and the video test has 3.93 MB. Anyone know how to increase the limit?

No, you can’t upload it to the forum itself!

There is no memory space available and it’s against the forum rules....

please just link to the video...use YouTube, imgur or another service

30 minutes ago, Monocyklista said:

I saw a video comparing Inmotion V10F, Kingson 18L and Ninebot One Z10 in slope test. The first two completed with no problem, while Z10 failed.

It was a pre production or a actual Z 10 in the test?

30 minutes ago, Monocyklista said:

I tried to upload but I am limited to 3.13 MB and the video test has 3.93 MB. Anyone know how to increase the limit?

There is no way to increase the limit, but you can link a youtube video or links from other histers here 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late response, I saw this video on asian site, but forgot the name and even checking history of browsing didn't help. I finally found it thru Google search. Don't know if it's pre-production or final unit. Here's the link:  https://www.facebook.com/thewheelies/videos/1786358548112658/

The Z10 is such a heavy beast it also looks as the relatively light guy is not able to give it the right pressure on the pedals.

I think in martys mountain stress test with the production Z10 you can see that it climbs very well.

Maybe you also need some weight to deliver the right amount of force to the pedals.

On 9/1/2018 at 1:03 PM, Monocyklista said:

Sorry for late response, I saw this video on asian site, but forgot the name and even checking history of browsing didn't help. I finally found it thru Google search. Don't know if it's pre-production or final unit. Here's the link:  https://www.facebook.com/thewheelies/videos/1786358548112658/

Comparing the 16-inch V10 to 18-inch wheels doesn't offer much value IMO.

I can believe that the KS18L would be a better climber than the Z10, but from my experience the Z10 can climb any hill that most other comparable wheels can, albeit maybe a little slower. So I think this video makes the Z10 look worse than I think it actually is.

Archived