Should I order the Z10 - I am a newbie :-)

SanDiegoGuy

@mrelwood do you ride on the softest modes?

I’ve recently started doing so, and find it’s so much easier and effortless to fine control almost every make EUC, as opposed to when I used to always ride the hardest modes. Albeit every EUC is different, so I’ve found the MSX soft mode is still a bit harder than the super buttery MCM5 soft mode.

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Santa Monica Pier - a few miles north of Venice Beach.

Nice. I saw people by the masses going in the ocean, I thought the water in LA would be too cold to swim (comfortably) due to currents, at least in SF it is.

23 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

Nice. I saw people by the masses going in the ocean, I thought the water in LA would be too cold to swim (comfortably) due to currents, at least in SF it is.

San Francisco is like the arctic compared to Southern California. In the summer the water is fine.

2 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Marty, I am in San Diego and the beach here is like the arctic compared to the Caribbeans. 

Funny. Yeah, we have OK temperatures, but the water is a lot colder than the Caribbean for sure :D

Watching Marty's video of riding at the pier make me want to get the Z10 even more.  It looks so effortless and like walking at a fast speed.  I am impressed at how you are able to maneuver the Z10 around a crowd of people.  That is what is important to me the most.

29 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Watching Marty's video of riding at the pier make me want to get the Z10 even more.  It looks so effortless and like walking at a fast speed.  I am impressed at how you are able to maneuver the Z10 around a crowd of people.  That is what is important to me the most.

The Z is a bit like the red dragon, the “Toruk Makto” in the movie “Avatar”. Riding the Z reminds me a bit of this binding process between man and beast. Once you succeeded to master your dragon, there is a bond and one becomes part of the other. To achieve this needs some fighting and is - if you are not careful - even a bit dangerous, BUT once this bond is achieved the Z will become part of your body and you completely trust it. It can read your motoric, your kinesthetic mind. Everybody who has seen Avatar and has ridden the Z can probably feel what I mean. ? 

7D7D1973-489A-44D9-A150-2960F93A6695.jpeg

28 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Just be aware that it can take months to gain the skill and confidence to ride like this. But with patience and lots of riding, you'll get there. I like to advise riders not to ride near people like this until you've reached the point that you can do this in your sleep.

IMO, if the people around you while you are riding feel the need to stop or alter their walking direction, then it is likely to be bad PR for the sport. I try hard to not ride too fast in places where pedestrians may be disturbed. Similar to a man running through a crowd, an EPAMD suddenly appearing in someone's peripheral view, or from behind, can be disturbing.

Does anyone have any particular speed rules that they like to follow? Perhaps it is polite to to only ride 1.5 to 2 times the general walking speed when directly adjacent to pedestrians?

9 hours ago, Mmhmmm said:

IMO, if the people around you while you are riding feel the need to stop or alter their walking direction, then it is likely to be bad PR for the sport. I try hard to not ride too fast in places where pedestrians may be disturbed. Similar to a man running through a crowd, an EPAMD suddenly appearing in someone's peripheral view, or from behind, can be disturbing.

Does anyone have any particular speed rules that they like to follow? Perhaps it is polite to to only ride 1.5 to 2 times the general walking speed when directly adjacent to pedestrians?

Just imagine you whould ride a bicycle on a path with other people. How would you ride to make sure everybody is safe? And if the crowd gets to dense, you just dismount and push your bike. Same rules I follow with my EUC. The older EUCs started spinning around wildly when you lost control. That could be potentially hazardous in a crowd of people. The Z just falls over and doesn’t go anywhere. But if you want to be extra safe as a beginner keep it on a leech like a huge dog when around people for the first few rides until you get confident. Better safe then sorry!

On 8/22/2018 at 3:53 PM, houseofjob said:

@mrelwood do you ride on the softest modes?

Medium on both 16S and the MSX. I agree, hard mode often requires a bit more effort to ride.

I think MSX modes would’ve been a lot better if the softness were instant, like on the 16S. As if you were leaning on a mattress. But the MSX modes are like a rock hard small boat that slowly sways front and back, often without such user input (rough terrain). It’s nonsensical to me.

But whichever the style, softness should be a slider, not just three preset modes.

I was in the same shoe actually.

I got a used S2 to learn, then get on Z10. And I am glad I did that.

Z10 as the first wheel, you will smash it a lot, not mentioning hurting yourself. It is heavy so when it smash, it does badly. the edge of the wheel bracket has cut my ankle once, and deep. Again, since it is so heavy, all the damage it can do, is like a knife cut through your flesh, a dull knife by the way.

I am not a bad learner since I got to S2 alone after 3 days, but unavoidably, some accidents would happen, to you or your wheel, or to others.

Don’t get afraid, since you can get use to Z10 afterwards, but just not at the beginning.

by the way, I thought due to the heavy weight and wide Tyre, the Z10 maybe easier to start with. Yes and no. First you still have to learn how to balance on the wheel, (check the general discussion sub-forum with excellent advice), so no, Z10 is not much easier; and yes, it can be easier than S2. However, because you have no idea how S2 rides, there is no ‘easier’ to you, just the horrible feeling of falling over... Plus the ‘uncontrollable feeling of the Z10 turning’, you may feel even worse.

Technically, you need to build muscle to get the balance under control, so a heavy Z10 needs more strength to start with. By the time you are ready, if you have not given up by the way, you may get many cuts/wounds, and your Z10 has done much damage.

Anyway, just some personal experience and the choice is yours. Good luck by all means! Enjoy!

On 8/23/2018 at 12:33 AM, Mmhmmm said:

Worse with people walking and using their handphones, with headphones on.. Doubly worse if they happen to be females.. Sorry if I sound sexist ? I’ve had to swerve and take the fall to avoid females firstly like to walk in the middle of paths, and tendency to suddenly decide to change lanes..

i usually call out “excuse me” but those listening to music or on their phone are usually oblivious to their surroundings and I’ve taken to just stepping off and pushing the wheel till I’m past them..

On 8/24/2018 at 7:04 PM, justanut said:

Worse with people walking and using their handphones, with headphones on.. 

I have noticed a clear change in headphone usage in just a year. This summer for some reason almost all joggers and many dog walkers are wearing headphones. Most of them still hear my bell, but many don’t.

Let’s be careful out there.

I am starting to be ok with the wheel on tarmac, but whenever I go to a gravel road I immediately fall off the wheel. And I have tried this time and again but I just can't ride on gravel. Even grass is easier. I has something to do with the weaker grip to the road. And the gravel grain size I am talking about is only like 5 mm and on hard solid ground.

• 2 weeks later...

I am an EUC rider in San Diego and there are quite a few of us here.   I'll usually run into a couple of other EUC riders on the weekend at either Mission or Pacific Beach.

As far as learning to ride an EUC, I would not learn on Z10.    The simple reason is you will drop the EUC... A LOT!   What I did was buy a Ninebot One S1 on the cheap as a learning vehicle and once I reached a level where I can ride in crowds comfortably I went ahead and bought a KS 14S.   

Anyway, good luck and wear protection.  Especially wrist and ankle/shins.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:07 AM, SanDiegoGuy said:

Hello folks,

I am a new member here.  Let me introduce myself a bit and then start my questions for guidance.

I am in San Diego, CA.  I have seen people in San Diego with the OneWheel but never on an EUC.  I bet people will start to look at me when I zip by with one of the EUC.

Anyway, I am a total newbie and EUC and have never ridden one.   However, I am willing to learn and I am a fairly quick learner.  Oh, I will get the OneWheel XR sometime this week.  It will be fun this week.

Oh, and I am a short person.  I am only 5' 5" tall and my weight is a measly 130 lb.  I am 50 years old and still young at heart LOL.

------------------------------------

O.K.  now onto the EUC topic.  I plan to get 2 EUCs.  One of them will be the GotWay Mten3 after watching Marty's videos and other videos and reviews.  It looks like a fun little EUC and also a good starter device to learn.

Now my dilemma is the second EUC.  I have a hard time deciding between the Z10 and the GotWay MSuperX.  I see that all the veteran riders are anxiously waiting for the Z10 so I do not know if I should get it also.  I have seen reviews on both the Z10 and the MSuperX.  I like the SuperX because it has the ability to have a seat to I can sit down when my legs are tired.  I want options and more options are better.

I can afford 2 EUC on my first EUC purchase so the cost is not of a big factor.  However, I want to get a really good second EUC so I do not have to get a third one for the near future.  

I also want to let my 12 year old son and 14 year old daughter to try to learn the Mten3 so they can ride with me.  Of course, they will be wearing full protective gears when riding.  Is it O.K. for young kids to ride EUC in a non-crowded environment?  Have you seen kids do it or have your own kids ride them?  I will be wearing full protective gears too of course.

Since I have never ridden on an EUC, I do not have a riding style yet so either the Z10 or the SuperX would not require a change in riding habit much.  

So what is your advice if you are in my position?  Thank you.

Archived