Tried a Ninebot E1? (father of EUCs) test after 8weeks with a Tesla - man that was odd

Boogieman

Met a whole EUC and Ninebot family (very rare in sweden, thats the 3rd EUC ive seen in 8weeks) in the park and we tried each others vehicles, where they had two ninebot E1 if i remember right (and a mini plus)

Jumped on the E1 and leaned forward....nothing happened...lean more....nope...jumped off and thought "im probably to heavy, better not crack the motor or battery".

Talked a bit with the owner who tried my tesla who said the opposite, like "damn i got no time to react it just took off" (though he did fine - really skilled young guy been riding 3 years).

So i though, maybe its just really mushy and tried again and after a bit of lean and wait off it went. It felt like seconds but was probably only about 0.5-1s.
Damn what a major difference in ride feel. It was very easy to balance at once (after it took off) since feet were almost planted in the ground (like very low) and the wheel was super light in comparison.

Really interesting to try a different wheel....a lot bigger difference than i expected :)

It could be that they had the Ninebot E+ set to a softer “somatosensory” setting.  I used to ride at zero, but I set it to three after a while.  It has a pretty firm pedal feel around that range.  I never did try it at higher settings.  After going to the Tesla, it took some adjustment to get over the 22 kph Ninebot speed barrier and trust while leaning more to uncork the upper speed range.  I have my Tesla on the medium ride setting.

Going back is a real eye opener after adjusting to the wider body of the Tesla.  The Ninebot feels so slim in comparison.  It’s still a beaut of a wheel and an all round good performer.

I’m a little concerned that my Tesla failed after hitting a stong bump.  I’ll have to double check the internals to make sure all is snug, but I’d say just be careful going over sudden bumps at higher speeds.

26 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It could be that they had the Ninebot E+ set to a softer “somatosensory” setting.  I used to ride at zero, but I set it to three after a while.  It has a pretty firm pedal feel around that range.  I never did try it at higher settings.  After going to the Tesla, it took some adjustment to get over the 22 kph Ninebot speed barrier and trust while leaning more to uncork the upper speed range.  I have my Tesla on the medium ride setting.

Going back is a real eye opener after adjusting to the wider body of the Tesla.  The Ninebot feels so slim in comparison.  It’s still a beaut of a wheel and an all round good performer.

I’m a little concerned that my Tesla failed after hitting a stong bump.  I’ll have to double check the internals to make sure all is snug, but I’d say just be careful going over sudden bumps at higher speeds.

yeah, the e+ is a unusual fun wheel. i have it on the hardest setting and the somatosensory feel is really odd. sometimesit feels like i’m getting a footmassage.

so the e+ doesn’t do warning beeps or sounds?

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It does beep.  Usually you’ll notice the tiltback first, but there are warning beeps too.  It’s usually a well behaved, mostly quiet wheel though.  Do you not ride your E+ very much now?  It’s quite a nimble, safer wheel due to the lower speed limits.

no not much but in anticipation of the z10 coming, i thought i’d see how the van’s skateboarder shoes felt on the pedals. 

i hadn’t really paid attention to which wheels beep before tiltback and sometimes i think from growing up shooting here on the ranch i don’t hear high frequencies.

i know it went up to like 17 mph. that was weird. u tried to give me tips on what to watch out for safety wise, like the routing of the motor wire and of course i wasn’t paying attention, but any known issues i’d love to know because it is a interesting wheel.

if the ks16s, 18s, v10f and z10 are mechanically safer than the little ninebots, maybe i’ll save them for someday where i have a big square area to practice on and to teach no fat girls how to ride.

It depends on how much you plan to ride it.  The battery is loose inside the case so it can be wise to secure it with the attached double sided tape or put it into a thin foam bag or something so it doesn't move around leading to the plastic shrink wrap getting cut through.  Also some electrical tape could be placed to seal up some holes inside where water could come in. 

It's not too hard to open up, but you have to carefully pry out the top part of the ring lights to undo the screws for the side panels.  It might not be worth the effort unless you plan to put a lot of miles on it.  Overall it's a very safe, reliable wheel. 

7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It depends on how much you plan to ride it.  The battery is loose inside the case so it can be wise to secure it with the attached double sided tape or put it into a thin foam bag or something so it doesn't move around leading to the plastic shrink wrap getting cut through.  Also some electrical tape could be placed to seal up some holes inside where water could come in. 

It's not too hard to open up, but you have to carefully pry out the top part of the ring lights to undo the screws for the side panels.  It might not be worth the effort unless you plan to put a lot of miles on it.  Overall it's a very safe, reliable wheel. 

cool, good to hear that. 

thanks.

14 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I use setting three mostly also, sometimes four.  I did try setting nine once, just to see how it felt, and it was so mushy feeling as to be not easy to ride, wayyy too much give in the pedals.  I didn't try to go fast, just rode slowly for a few minutes and set it back to three.

I'm thinking that Ninebot E+ must have been set to a softer setting also.  Even setting four feels pretty solid, with just a little give for a smoother ride on bumpy gravel trails.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 6:08 AM, novazeus said:

no not much but in anticipation of the z10 coming, i thought i’d see how the van’s skateboarder shoes felt on the pedals. 

I tried a few shoes on the Tesla.

Vans (high neck) - to me they are to firm/uncomfy

Skechers (white leather/synthetic?) with tempo foam in sole - absolutely my favourite. And when grinding in turns normaly the edge of my duck feet hit the ground just before the pedal and the rubber goes up a bit on theese so i dont wear the leather. Perfect EUC shoe for me

Flat sole puma's (very old and worn, but inlove them for walking) - doesnt feel right on EUC though.

High neck Pumas (ferrari branded) - better but again to stiff and uncomfy for long runs.

Gonna try some different insoles as they seem to make a huge difference for comfort. Maybe one of those scholl gel soles could be nice, anyone tried?

Ps

Hit max speed today, 49km/h @ 57% battery so i guess 52-53@full battery would be the limit. No music in the ears at that time (normally ride with a pair of samsung icon-x's). Didn't think about it first but then i was..."hey wait, it's not the usual beep beep beep pause"....oops better slow down before tarmac hits me :-)

Ds

15359335560447613092944741996618.thumb.jpg.44ec7a0f4bdeb958feca740c5824914f.jpg

On 8/20/2018 at 3:14 PM, steve454 said:

I use setting three mostly also, sometimes four.  I did try setting nine once, just to see how it felt, and it was so mushy feeling as to be not easy to ride, wayyy too much give in the pedals.  I didn't try to go fast, just rode slowly for a few minutes and set it back to three.

I'm thinking that Ninebot E+ must have been set to a softer setting also.  Even setting four feels pretty solid, with just a little give for a smoother ride on bumpy gravel trails.

I think it might have been the ninebot one e1 he had, there were no pads by the calves and there were too mounting screws on the back (for trolley i Guess).

Not sure about all models :) but it was super thin and very low gravity and pedals.

16 hours ago, Boogieman said:

I think it might have been the ninebot one e1 he had, there were no pads by the calves and there were too mounting screws on the back (for trolley i Guess).

Not sure about all models :) but it was super thin and very low gravity and pedals.

Mine doesn't feel mushy to me, but I imagine that the Tesla is so much more powerful, compared to the ninebot, that the ninebot would feel mushy to you.

I would like to ride one of the high power wheels some day, I bet it would be like the difference between night and day.

On 9/3/2018 at 7:35 PM, steve454 said:

Mine doesn't feel mushy to me, but I imagine that the Tesla is so much more powerful, compared to the ninebot, that the ninebot would feel mushy to you.

I would like to ride one of the high power wheels some day, I bet it would be like the difference between night and day.

I have a ninebot mini plus (segway-ish) but when setup to max firmness its very responsive, so i dunno. Might have been that his wheel was a bit worn. He had been riding it for 3+ years i think and technique wise he outrode me any day in the week. Young guy..like half my age...went back forth in circles and whatnot. I still struggle to learn backward riding. Forward feels super now, high speed carve in 40-45 over holes and bumps is fun even though it wobbles a bit every now and then, but as soon as i lean back and try to turn its as if my brains says NO....YOU ARE MEANT TO GO FORWARD. And then i jump off...dont even reach 5km/h....feel just like when i started riding 2-3months ago :-)

The "brakes" on the tesla are insane at full leanback. Though i think that the amperage spike, i see some spikes above 100amps and that must be the braking, i dont think the aceel is as heavy on the batteries since you cant really "sit forward" to maximize accel, just lean as much as the wheel allows you. But if you throw yourself back with 90degree knee angle its almmost as if u await that the tire is gonna start skidding any second :-)

Been thinking of getting a tire pressure sensor, the kind you have on your car valve cap. If it could connect to your phone, you could monitor tire pressure and temp. Works awesome on my civic type R. Pressure is within 0.1bar from my pro meter. The temp i dont know, but it seems to give the correct direction. If i ride with sun on right hand tires they worm up faster. Same if i do a lot of roundabouts, spikes especially front right wheel which makes sense based on the steering.

Archived