first ride in downtown traffic ...

bpong

9 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I had my first unicycle dog attack yesterday.  Until yesterday I had never been attacked by a dog in my whole life.  I have been charged before.  I just take an aggressive stance and the dog has always stopped and turned around.  That is hard to do on a Unicycle.  The dog that attacked me was a Border Callie.  He seemed to attack the MSuper more than me.  I was in a bike trail parking lot going 10 mph.  It was a confined area so I could not just take off with great speed. He saw me from 100 feet away on my right and came running straight for me.  He ran into the side of the wheel with about half of his speed.  It was a low solid hit. I still have the image in my head of the dog folded in half, but against nose pressed against my leg and wheel as he slammed into me.  I had leaned into the impact and only got a wobble out of it.  The dog was ok and looked embarrassed of his show of aggression.  He got up, turned and ran back to his owner.  I did not stick around for apologies.  The owner was loading them into his car when the one dog got loose. 

I am a dog person and have had Boarder Collies and now have two Brittanys.  It looked to me like he was offended by the wheel not me.  I wounder if the wheel sounds like a dog whistle.  Also I am sure that a few dogs have watched me pass by with a WTF look on their face. They did not look at the bicycles before me like that and most dogs don't have a firm grasp of physics that my wheel would impress on.

EUC ......The dog whistler. 

A dog came within a millimeter or two of nipping my ankle (so air bite).. careless owner. Off leash on a bike trail, with several other dogs + owners, but the other owners grabbed their dogs when they saw me approaching and slow down. After it air-nipped my ankle, the owner recalled him, took her time to actually grab his collar, while recounting to me how he 'just does this' to skateboarders all the time.. Wow. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

Since the hands are the first to protect in a fall, they are also the first to get injured since they feel the force first. Accidents are not always at the discretion of the rider. :huh:

Indeed. The other night I took my girlfriend out to the street in front of our house to help her practice riding backwards for the first time. She uses my old Ninebot One E+, which is a great learning wheel, but I still insisted that she put on my EWheels wrist-guards. She usually refuses to wear any kind of protection, but I put my foot down this time. And boy, am I glad I did.

We were practicing transitioning from going forwards into going backwards, and she was approaching the end of the street, so she made a wide U-turn. Unfortunately she let her pedal dip a little low (I knew what was going to happen as soon as I saw her angle of lean and took off running toward her...) and it just barely scraped the ground. She corrected and came out of the turn, but she was leaning so far forward (looked like almost 45 degrees from my perspective!!! :o) that the poor little Ninebot accelerated like a bat out of hell, but couldn't keep up and she  face-planted. HARD

It's like the memory of it got burned into my brain in super slow-mo. She landed on her right hand first, followed by her right elbow and upper arm and left hand. Then her right cheek hit, and her head bounced, and hit again as she slid for a foot or two. I panicked as soon as I saw her face hit the ground,  thinking she was going to be badly injured...

Now, I had started running toward her as soon as I saw her part-way through the turn, knowing the outcome wouldn't be good, and I made it to her just as the Ninebot was finishing flipping over itself and was coming to a stop on its side. Luckily, she was essentially fine. I mean, she was pissed and upset and crying, but she wasn't injured! Just a minor scrape on her elbow, and some soreness in her jaw, upper arm and right leg.

When we got back inside and got her cleaned up, we looked at the aftermath: her jeans were a little worse for the crash with a  big scuff mark, but her glasses survived with no damage at all! Then we looked at the wrist guards...    :shock2:    It may sound like exaggeration, but the plastic plates looked like someone had tried to run them through a cheese-grater or a shredder or something. The right plate was WORN DOWN, and there were massive gouges all over the place with a few tiny pebbles actually embedded into the plastic. The fabric was torn in a few places too. We looked back at her hands again, but they were fine. No bruising, no cuts, no scrapes, no broken bones, nothing. I went back outside a little bit later and walked to the end of the street. The wrist guard left a mark (looked like a skid mark) almost a foot and a half long from the plastic plate. That could have been her hand.

I can't tell you how important wrist guards are when we ride these wheels. And this incident made a believer out of my girlfriend too, who normally shuns any type of protective gear at all. (yes she now wears a helmet too :rolleyes:)

12 hours ago, bpong said:

i dont have wrist guards yet, may purchase next year.

Please, PLEASE, get some wrist guards and wear them, even if you don't wear anything else!

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ver good post! Yep, wrist guards are the difference between "Huh? Nothing happened?" and a serious medical catastrophe.

I might not cover all situations, but unless you have trained this you normal first reaction is to brace for impact with arms, meaning wrists will be first in line, if you start to react on an accident. I fully agree with @meepmeepmayer do not let others hard earned expirance pass you if you are a new rider. there is a reason why this is one of top tip posted all over this forum.

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

The dog was probably thinking, "THAT WHEELY THING IS TRYING TO CARRY YOU AWAY, I WILL SAVE YOU"

I believe that he thought he was doing the right thing.  I have never met an evil Boarder Collie.  At first I thought he might be trying to heard me.  I watched two Boarder Collies puppies try to heard leaves blowing in the wind.  Hearding is not really something you need to teach a boarder Collie. You just have to teach them to heard things where you want them. 

10 minutes ago, duaner said:

One dog trick I learned from @Michael Vu is to come to a stop.  To the dog you are an alien deserving of attack until you stop and put a foot down -- then you are recognized as human and the dog has no reason to attack

cvr9781416502258_9781416502258_lg.jpg

Wheel = Alien (Attack!)
Man = Friend (Lick and/or Pee on...)

I can count on having at least a few "incidents" with pedestrians or vehicles each time I go out for any significant amount of time.  It's caused me to appreciate the benefit of having a car due to the ability to prevent being exposed to other peoples environment.  I'm trying to become less reactive to d-bags who either put me in danger or otherwise try to mess with me.  

I was riding past one such d-bag on a walk way about an hour ago and when I got next to him he motioned like he was going to jump me or push me and I had to bite back the desire to get off my wheel and try to get him to fight me right then and there.  It's a good thing that I'm so conspicuous because of the wheel because otherwise I think I'd be quicker to react to those situations.  I fear retaliation because I'm so visible and memorable, whereas if I was on a bicycle I wouldn't feel as identifiable.  

48 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@Marcglider

Hey, do you have a link where to buy those mirrors on your wristguards? Are they on amazon? I'd like to get something similar. Thanks!

Unless I'm mistaken, those are just side rear view mirrors you could buy at any department store (in the automotive sections for about $5). If you prefer to shop on Amazon, just search for "blind spot mirror" or try: Automotive > Exterior Accessories (Exterior Automotive Mirrors)... :thumbup:

AutoZone ,Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, NAPA,.................

They come with sticky back. On mine I removed the sticky and used a soldering iron to poke two holes in the back layer of plastic.  I also used the soldering iron to put two holes in the wrist guard.  It keeps the nylon from fraying. Then used a zip tie and looped them together.  I am sure other methods work well also.  

42 minutes ago, RayRay said:

Unless I'm mistaken, those are just side rear view mirrors you could buy at any department store (in the automotive sections for about $5). If you prefer to shop on Amazon, just search for "blind spot mirror" or try: Automotive > Exterior Accessories (Exterior Automotive Mirrors)... :thumbup:

exactly... I bought them at Harbor Freight for like $3 or so...

• 3 weeks later...

wow, dogs chasing the ewheel.  it must be a high frequency emitted from the motor itself.  afterall,  i do hear a high pitched whining whenever im moving.

as a sidebar to the dog attacks (and believe me, i do like dogs,  had one when i was a kid...)  what the hell is the owner doing with the dog unleashed ???

isnt there a leash law in almost every north american city ?  not so much in rural areas,  i grew up in a farming village and all our dogs walked the town freely.

as for humans,  that is a different story.  i think that the incidences posted in this thread involving people were handled properly by the ewheel rider.  meaning,

NOTHING HAPPENED,  THE EWHEEL RIDER SIMPLY MOVED ON.  i think the ewheel rider has enough to think about while riding the device.  let the jerks get

their attention from law enforcement.  let us enjoy our ride.  period.

4 hours ago, bpong said:

wow, dogs chasing the ewheel.  it must be a high frequency emitted from the motor itself.  afterall,  i do hear a high pitched whining whenever im moving.

as a sidebar to the dog attacks (and believe me, i do like dogs,  had one when i was a kid...)  what the hell is the owner doing with the dog unleashed ???

isnt there a leash law in almost every north american city ?  not so much in rural areas,  i grew up in a farming village and all our dogs walked the town freely.

as for humans,  that is a different story.  i think that the incidences posted in this thread involving people were handled properly by the ewheel rider.  meaning,

NOTHING HAPPENED,  THE EWHEEL RIDER SIMPLY MOVED ON.  i think the ewheel rider has enough to think about while riding the device.  let the jerks get

their attention from law enforcement.  let us enjoy our ride.  period.

I got the opportunity to talk to the owner last Sunday. He had never seen him act that way before. Jinx is a disc golf dog. He can find, point out, and retrieve discs. He is also trained to “Stay” for 20 minuets after the owner walks away.

Maybe he thought my wheel was a disc. 

We do have leash laws.  I was near a disc golf course at the time.  The laws still apply. 

One of my neighbor has a small dog who always bark and charge to about 3 feet away from me when I ride EUC passing his home. I was very annoyed. You know, EUC ride after dinner supposely give me relax and enjoyable good time. But this dog ruins it. So, one day, I carry 2 sticks with me and riding passing his home on the side walk, pretending doing ski pushes with the sticks. The dog charged, I waved the sticks "in panic". No one was hurt. After that the dog have not charged at me. We have a responsibility to teach dogs how to behave.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:19 AM, Arbolest said:

I went back outside a little bit later and walked to the end of the street. The wrist guard left a mark (looked like a skid mark) almost a foot and a half long from the plastic plate. That could have been her hand.

damn good posting.  the wrist guards are the last thing to get for my safety gear.  i think i'll pick them up today !!!!

5 hours ago, bpong said:

the wrist guards are the last thing to get for my safety gear. 

They shoulda been first on your list... (Now you know why.)

Even cheap ones are better than nothing. (Human instinct is to brace for fall.)

I wonder if my Border Collie is deaf, she doesn't care less about me riding my Mini Pro which emits a high pitched sound, but other dogs have in the past had a bit of a bark at me, usually the smaller not really dogs, dogs.

I actually run my dog with the Mini Pro, she gets fitter and i get fatter... Jokes, I'm a rake.

I've had a couple of people try to mess with me, luckily although I'm a rake I'm tall so can look tough when i want too (the beard helps, the Mini Pro not so much..).  One couple of big hood bitches saw me coming towards them on the footpath and i heard one of them say to push me off and take it.  I laughed out loud, told them to try it, steered towards them while speeding up.  They jumped out the way and one tripped over.  Nice try i laughed while i rode past.

One cyclist tried to shoulder me as he went past, i grabbed a stick from a tree as i went past and waved it at him mentioning something about it would be a shame if something got in his spokes and he rode off faster than i could giving me the fingers.  I need a faster machine now...

19 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

I need a faster machine now...

My favourite game is still to come up alongside a cyclist (or jogger) so they can just see me in their peripheral vision... Then as they speed up I match them, just standing there chilling.

It's surprising how many of them put in so much more effort, while I just stand there... chilling.

Once it looks like it is starting to hurt I usually just lean a little and leave them way behind - Hey wait... Does this mean that I'm a personal trainer?   :blink1:

At one of the bicycle parks we go to you have to drive 5 miles down a park road at 15mph before you get to the parking lot. I had my daughter drop me off at the beginning of the road so I could enjoy the extra 5mile ride through the state park. She said it was pretty creepy seeing a man just hover 30 feet behind her truck in the rear view mirror. :ph34r:

Had a dog chase me around 7pm tonight on a side street, and simply outran it.

2 days ago riding a trail, owner of a small white dog let him go off-leash ($305 CAD fine in my 'hood) and almost ran into it, told him of the fine as I passed, and he said yeah keep going.

I feel like next time I run into an unleashed dog in front of me and I'll step off and let my wheel run into it, and have him charged and sue him  civil court for my wheel.

3 hours ago, Czestnut said:

Had a dog chase me around 7pm tonight on a side street, and simply outran it.

2 days ago riding a trail, owner of a small white dog let him go off-leash ($305 CAD fine in my 'hood) and almost ran into it, told him of the fine as I passed, and he said yeah keep going.

I feel like next time I run into an unleashed dog in front of me and I'll step off and let my wheel run into it, and have him charged and sue him  civil court for my wheel.

While I understand and happen to (sometimes) agree with the sentiment toward the owner, I would feel far too badly about possibly injuring a dog to be able to do that :cry2:

Archived