I nearly shipped my pants!

As some of you may know, riding these electric wheels of fun on public roads and pathways is not entirely legal in Canada.  That hasn't stopped this one wheeled stealthy criminal from riding!  :whistling:

I went on my usual roll this evening, and I probably was zooming near 45 kph on the neighbourhood road.  I soon slowed slightly to veer into a side road, and low and behold there's a cop car parked right after the turn.  :efee78d764:  I thought oh oh this is not going to end well.

I slowed to about 20 kph and nonchalantly swooped up onto the sidewalk and continued with my journey.  Glancing back briefly I could see he started to follow me down the road.  Taking no chances I made a hasty escape down an exit pathway into the greenspace.  Whew!  :efefc8626c:  I escaped!  I haven't been carrying my wallet just in case they ask me for ID.  I don't know exactly if that trick works in Canada, but it's worth a shot.  I think I'll have to be more careful when turning corners lest I end up in the hoosegow!  :eff01bbbfc:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

As some of you may know, riding these electric wheels of fun on public roads and pathways is not entirely legal in Canada.  That hasn't stopped this one wheeled stealthy criminal from riding!  :whistling:

I went on my usual roll this evening, and I probably was zooming near 45 kph on the neighbourhood road.  I soon slowed slightly to veer into a side road, and low and behold there's a cop car parked right after the turn.  :efee78d764:  I thought oh oh this is not going to end well.

I slowed to about 20 kph and nonchalantly swooped up onto the sidewalk and continued with my journey.  Glancing back briefly I could see he started to follow me down the road.  Taking no chances I made a hasty escape down an exit pathway into the greenspace.  Whew!  :efefc8626c:  I escaped!  I haven't been carrying my wallet just in case they ask me for ID.  I don't know exactly if that trick works in Canada, but it's worth a shot.  I think I'll have to be more careful when turning corners lest I end up in the hoosegow!  :eff01bbbfc:

Hide contents

That's the beauty of our wheels. Without even appearing to be running away, you can nonchalantly take any side trail/path to make your escape. As long as they don't get on their megaphone and tell you to stop, you're good. 

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's the beauty of our wheels. Without even appearing to be running away, you can nonchalantly take any side trail/path to make your escape. As long as they don't get on their megaphone and tell you to stop, you're good. 

I love this country: From 8 policemen I encountered, 3 gave me a thumbs up ?, one wanted to also have an EUC instead of his bicycle, 2 briefly scared me with their siren ? and red lights, but when they saw we weren’t Highschoolers riding motorcycles ? without licenses (who they were lurking for and would have policed!) they just smiled, said good evening and pulled away. Two directected me through traffic, stopping the cars for me ...

Our policemen usually don’t carry weapons. Japan is EUC paradise ... for now... ? 

Hehe, EUCs, the perfect getaway vehicles (unless you miss a curb and faceplant, like always, it's all or nothing). Has there been a EUC-utilizing bank robbery already?:efee8319ab:

I also drove by police a few times when they popped up unexpectedly. Either they didn't react or care (not that I could see if that were happening behind me), or if they did they were not nearly fast enough (or the wheel was too fast). Nonchalant indeed:efee612b4b:

I dropped a set of keys off at the police station while riding my EUC.  They had asked me to retrieve the keys from peace of machinery.  Twelve officers and the police chief watched as I pull into the station after riding down the center of my lane on a 25 mph street.  One of them noticed me while I was riding behind a car and pointed me out to the others. They recognized me but could not see what I was riding because I was partly behind a car. As I pulled in the station they stared at me with mouths wide open.  I heard shouts like , Wow That's cool and When do we get ours Chief!  After I gave them the keys they asked all the normal questions, speed , how far, how hard, how long does it take to learn. :efee6b18f3:

One of them held a questioning look and I knew he was the only one thinking like a COP.  I showed him the screen shots that I keep on my phone of the TN laws.  No municipality shall regulate or limit use that would not also apply to bicycles. 

Side note:   In a group of people, it always amazes me how the younger people shy away from the idea of riding while the older people listen eagerly with a look on their face that says, If I were just a little younger I would buy one.  I am quick to point out that their is a forum with a bunch of old people on it from all over the world, some as old as 73, that ride these things. That's when their eyes light up. :dribble:

Archived