Advice needed for new unicycle

noeinstein

Hello all.

I have been reading a lot on these forums lately trying to find a safe and good EUC for myself. I am 175cm and weight around 110 kg. A few weeks ago i bought an Airwheel X8 for my 10 year old kid and he is really enjoying it. I also have a 7 year old that still uses a hoverboard. I have tried it a few times and I love the feeling when I ride an EUC but the range on the Airwheel is very limited with my weight.

I would love to find a EUC that I can use on trips with my 2 boys, speed is not an issue for me since the hoverboard has 12 km/h max and the Airwheel 18 km/h.

There have been a few occasions  where hoverbards and EUC have caught fire during charging so this is one of the things I am afraid of. I have been reading a lot about the Kingsong ks16s and it says max load is 150 kg, is this the best alternative?

Greetings too all from Norway.

if it's only to go with your kids on trips I'm sure the ks16s would be fine it's got the power to propell you  I'm 90k and it's been fine it doesn't feel no way underpowered it should be a good all-rounder even if you wanted to venture off alone . if you get more adventurous I'd recommend somthing bigger .

yeah ofc slower you go the more range you get less power more range .more speed more power needed so less range  and more battery used.same as a car really if you accelerate you use more ?? juice 

3 hours ago, noeinstein said:

Thanks. Am I right that the range of the euc will increase when I limit the top speed to below 20 km/h ?

Not as dramatically as you might think though as a lot of power is used for balancing - if you think about it if you go at half the top speed you are going to be balancing for twice as long to just cover the same range. You would have to be going at 30km/h or more to really have much impact on range and the KS16S with the 840Wh battery is good for at least 40-60 km I would think. If you are riding with a Hoverboard and Airwheel I don’t think you are going to need to worry about that!

As for @stephen weird suggestion you might want to graduate to “something bigger” I would think the vast majority of people on this forum, including me, NEVER graduate to anything bigger than a 16” wheel Unicycle - The KingSong 16 is an excellent all-round wheel. 

A modern EUC from a reputable manufacturer like KingSong is no more likely to catch fire than your iPhone is!

To be fair, I think by far the majority of the people on this forum are not all that large or heavy.  They don't really need to "graduate" to a heavier vehicle because they never needed one in the first place.

Probably the best thing to do is to get a uni that is powerful enough for you in the first place.  For bigger people, though EUC's continue to get stronger, the selection is more limited and should still be looked at more carefully than someone lighter would need to.

For me, I go up and down about ten pounds now and then, and am at a good natural bodyweight between 205 and 215, though I'm not always down to that.  When I bought, I had to take into account both my high bodyweight (according to the power of EUC's at the time) and the other important factor of local geography.  I have lots of steep hills, including right outside my door, and didn't want to overload the machine or experience cut-outs and take face plants if my EUC tried to push me up a steep hill and decided not to.

So I didn't "graduate" to a big machine for sure -- I bought one right up front and as a large man I believe it would have been a big mistake not to.

Big guys -- buy for your size, not just because a model looks great and has many great reviews by experienced riders you have every reason to trust.  Even a great machine may be not right for YOU.

2 hours ago, Keith said:

As for @stephen weird suggestion you might want to graduate to “something bigger

i did say the ks16s was fine i have a ks16s also its a great machine but now I've got adventurous and need to do 40miles plus thats why ive got a msx now 

7 hours ago, stephen said:

i did think i covered everything?

if it's only to go with your kids on

trips I'm sure the ks16s would be fine it's got the power to propell you  I'm 90k and it's been fine it doesn't feel no way underpowered it should be a good all-rounder even if you wanted to venture off alone . if you get more adventurous I'd recommend somthing bigger

8 hours ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

IF thinking of King Song EUC - be aware about the high pitch noise - that is unacceptable for me - so I gave back my KS16!

I don't understand, is it very noisy when driving ? I also read on this forum that the charger gets very hot during charging. I run my own business and can't afford any faceplant so safety is very important for me.

Is it better alternatives for my weight in the same price range ?

Thank you all for good advises.

hello, 

I just bought the KS16S a month ago, I am a beginner and started of slowly , but man I love that EUC.. it takes me too places wherever I want, offroad or tarmac, it chews miles ;) 

Nowaydays I start the day with a 10km drive .. the KS16S is a lovely machine, I am loving it ! 

It goes easily up to 35km/h but at this stage I am driving it only till around 25-30 km/h and it's very comfortable ! My wife is riding it as well and she's also very happy with it..

What concerns the pitch noise, in general I am very annoyed when something makes noise, certainly if you love driving offroad in nature, it does make a sound but too me it's the same sound that almost every elektro engine makes, but after a few rides I don't notice that high pitch anymore.. it doesn't bother me at all, in fact I quite like it because when you approach people at least they hear something and they go to the side to let you pass, without having to hunk or yell ;)

I have no experience with euc's that doesn't make noise.. 

If you would want an alternative, you could have a look to the V8 of inmotion , cheaper but less range and less power (motor) but from what I hear an awesome machine as well... 

my 50 cent..

cheers 

CL

19 hours ago, Keith said:

Not as dramatically as you might think though as a lot of power is used for balancing

What exactly do you mean by "a lot"? Wouldn't that mean that EUCs have a significantly shorter range than electric scooters or skateboards (which I am not quite aware of)?

As a comparison number to start with: when I go 10km/h with my V8 on a flat straight (about 95kg weight overall), the wheel consumes roughly 100W (computed offline from the balance data of the Charge Doctor, that is, the actual consumption must be somewhat lower when accounting for initial acceleration and charge losses). How much of that wattage is "used for balancing"?

This thread shows some consumption measurements as a function of speed.

6 hours ago, noeinstein said:

don't understand, is it very noisy when driving ?

i can  hear it it's only a little whine . here's a couple of videos I'm 90kg and it good on all terrains

The 16S whine is loud enough to bother some of us, but many get used to it after a few trips. The whine is louder when going fast, so at below 18km/h I’m sure it is manageable to most.

The 16S is a great wheel, and I’d say there is not that much competition for you. Gotway Tesla is the only other I’d suggest, but the 16S is better made, and has a better track record with reliability and safety.

Riding slowly really does increase the range a LOT. I rode a 15km trip at below 15km/h and the MSX battery barely took a hit. My usual riding style gets up to 40km from the 16S, and I weigh 95kg. With your weight I’d prepare for 35-50km depending on your speed and accelerations.

8 hours ago, noeinstein said:

I don't understand, is it very noisy when driving ? I

Yes - it is really loud.

My wife didn't want to ride beneath me with her bicycle - to annoying this sound. 

If you are riding with your kids - they hear this sound much better!

With inmotion EUC's - it is quiet - for sure!

18 hours ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

IF thinking of King Song EUC - be aware about the high pitch noise - that is unacceptable for me - so I gave back my KS16!

Is the noise of the KS16S the same? Motorwise these are different wheels, right? 

Archived