Dogs and your unicycle

maxkan

The hi-pitch sound some eucs emit may annoy/puzzle some dogs.  We also don't move like other vehicles or runners/joggers. Then again maybe they are just reacting like people and thinking WT..

Dogs very often have an instinctive fear of loud, high-pitched mechanical whines and sometime beeps, even as puppies who have never heard them before and had no time to build up a bad association.  So it's nothing learned. 

The hair dryer, vacuum, electric leaf blower, a beeping seat belt, a car alarm, can all set them off.

Some react to any sharp or loud noise, even from a distance.  Hunting dogs are often exposed to them as puppies to see how they'll react; some just aren't cut out to be around them.

One of our dogs is getting old, and he is becoming more scared of noises than he used to be.  I think he is bumping up against his limitations more, and thus starting to feel less secure in his world, and it's making him more clingy and fearful.  He has always been affectionate, but now he rarely lets me out of his sight, and when I'm there, he needs to be touching me more.  He always tries to sleep with his back against one of my legs.

Re small dogs, they're quite often more aggressive.  For one thing, many are derived from terriers, which were bred to be aggressive in the first place.  But also, dogs often respond to fear with aggression ... and the smaller the dog, the more it has to be afraid of.  

Further, as predators, dogs are stimulated to chase things when they move.  I remember being chased by many dogs when I was going by on my bike.  

So there are lots of reasons a dog could respond to a fast-moving, noisy whining thing with aggression.

7 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Re small dogs, they're quite often more aggressive.  For one thing, many are derived from terriers, which were bred to be aggressive in the first place.  But also, dogs often respond to fear with aggression ... and the smaller the dog, the more it has to be afraid of.

On my KS-18L, small barking aggressive dogs are but a passing bump that makes you ask, "Did it just get quieter here?"   :blink1:

11 hours ago, maxkan said:

Have you noticed any unusual reaction from nearby dogs, when you pass them on your unicycle? If yes what do you think is the reason?

Yes, some dogs try to chase me (I have even been bitten once), some dogs bark, some dogs seem to be very afraid, but also many dogs don't care at all (in particular well trained dogs, like guide dogs, never have posed a problem). The latter category has become more and more common: I haven't been chased for some time now by a dog while it was a quite common experience a-year-or-so ago. My hunch is that this is the variation of reaction of dogs to something that they don't know. If it were the noise alone I would expect them to increase the distance instead of chasing. They also invariably lose interest when I stop moving, which lets me reckon that the unusual movement causes their reaction.

Someone in the neighborhood had a pair of great dane, I seen them before on several occasions (they're hard to miss). Recently I ran into them while I was riding my i5 and they freaked out and started barking at me and pulling on their chains. The guy was barely able to control them, and it would had been bad if they had gotten loose. Scariest thing ever.

I believe it.  Those things are the size of small horses!

I saw a couple with their ... Russian deerhounds I think it was?  I'm over 6 feet, and their spines were about sternum level on me.  Very intimidating!  The dogs looked like they could just casually reach over and put my whole head in their mouths.

When riding my wheel/e-skateboard, I always slow right down to a snail's pace when approaching dog's whether they are on a leash or not. You never know how they are going to react by either barking angrily or in some cases may even give chase. I have come across both situations in the past but more recently, even given my usual rule of slowing to just a little over walking pace, did not prepare me for one dog's reaction to me passing by.

About 2 weeks ago (I was riding my Evolve electric longboard, not the Tesla),  and just as I had passed by a larger dog (not sure of the breed) and it's owner the dog decided it liked the look of me/skateboard and made a move towards me from behind. I first felt a tug on my rearward positioned leg and then the dog tried to somehow get it's head and front legs through my legs so that it was now straddling the still moving skateboard. Because the dog had managed to get between my legs the inevitable outcome was that I ended up doing a somersault straight off the board, still entangled up with the dog.

Fortunately for me the dog, being a larger breed, did break my fall to certain degree as I rolled onto my back so I did not get injured (the dogs owner said the dog was OK). The dog's owner was very apologetic and genuinely embarrassed, but to be honest, it was too little too late as the cycle-way where this happened demands that dogs are kept on a leash.

5 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Fortunately for me the dog, being a larger breed, did break my fall to certain degree as I rolled onto my back so I did not get injured (the dogs owner said the dog was OK). The dog's owner was very apologetic and genuinely embarrassed, but to be honest, it was too little too late as the cycle-way where this happened demands that dogs are kept on a leash.

Unfortunately, apology is not enough if someone gets injured or their property damaged.

I let my dog off the leash where I shouldn't, too ... but he is highly trained (a champion) and naturally extremely mellow.  It's still not right, but I understand that I am responsible should my dog cause injury.  I hope other owners are aware of the true nature of the chances they are taking when they let a dog off leash, too.

In my case, it's just letting him walk around the small gated community that everyone has let their dogs run around loose in for the last 20 years.  It is against the HOA rules, though.

And at the bank, where everyone knows him and competes to be the one giving him dog biscuits.

I dont think there is a certain thing with eucs that dogs hate, i think maybe its because were going so fast, so close near the sidewalk on a bike path and not the road like other things that go that fast usually, one of my freinds walk the dog daily on his euc :P it seems ok with it

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

I dont think there is a certain thing with eucs that dogs hate, i think maybe its because were going so fast, so close near the sidewalk on a bike path and not the road like other things that go that fast usually, one of my freinds walk the dog daily on his euc :P it seems ok with it

It's his dog, way different.

6 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

It's his dog, way different.

i know, but if dogs were supposed to get very annoyed by the whine sound or some other sounds we cant hear coming from eucs then the owner would definetly be able to see the dog react in some way no matter who is the owner

12 hours ago, fbhb said:

About 2 weeks ago (I was riding my Evolve electric longboard, not the Tesla),  and just as I had passed by a larger dog (not sure of the breed) and it's owner the dog decided it liked the look of me/skateboard and made a move towards me from behind.

It's your own fault... How many times now have I told you not to ride with a string of sausages in your back pocket? But you just keep doing it!   :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It's your own fault... How many times now have I told you not to ride with a string of sausages in your back pocket? But you just keep doing it!

I only had that string of sausages with me because I was on my way down to Wellington to drop them off to you (I hate sausages). You need to keep your strength up now you're testing all that fresh New stock of wheels & scooters!

Also had some issues with dogs. Once had one jump in front of me when riding the Mten3 (small one), and I had to bail out. Once had a big dog become completely excited about it, had to stop riding and wait for a couple of minutes before the owner could leash him (way to go :rolleyes:). Once had a small dog chase me on my GT16, but I was faster :D 

• 4 weeks later...

Had an incident today. coming home with a pizza and six pack. came out of the local park/school to the proper side of the street. saw a dog, but on a leash. Did not think much off it, but then the dog came at me. Saw the retractable leash so not much concern until i saw the handle bouncing on the tarmac. put my wheel down hard to preserve the payload and got a slight nip.

Pretty pissed off about the whole incident, but glad i did not react.

phil

So far I have no real problems with dogs, they do seem to notice us faster then their bosses , but they hear better and they here a wider frequency spectrum , I guess it will depend on the wheel, the high pitched KS models will maybe have more issues

Over the past weeks I trained my own dog to walk next to me on and off leash , mixed feelings about that one.. but that's for another post.. and other thread, since I try to stay on topic.. ;)

My dog is afraid of everything. Motorcycles turn her into Cujo, even rollerblades scare her. If I start getting the electric leaf blower out she goes under the bed. I have no idea why but both my quiet starter wheel and my 16s dont scare her at all. 

There are 2 houses on my way to work with large dogs that used to go nuts when I went by. About twice a week I stop and give em treats if they are in the yard so now they get happy when they hear the high pitched 16s whine. Random dogs still go nuts most of the time. I have not had the opportunity to drop jerky behind me while being chased yet but it will be a fun experiment!

20180528_135825.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here goes my first encounter with a dog (that's not on a leash or behind a fence) since I got my wheel. Good thing I'd just slowed down after the curve or it could have very well ended in a faceplant. Equally good that the dog was small, old and friendly, 'cause there's no way I could have outrun an angry German Shepherd with the V8's factory 25 km/h "learner limit" :efee612b4b:

Archived